Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Dynasty League

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Thanks for the feedback lads, will wait to give everyone a chance to respond before I change the roster size (it will be increased though from what has been posted so far). Don't know why I put 3 x IDP, was working off spongey's post on the last page which says 2 each, my mistake.

Just corrected that and moved the 3 extra slots to bench

http://gyazo.com/0c6a3c654fad7828794d314f9a9a229f

One other suggestion made in poll results so far was switch one of the offensive flex spots to RB, thoughts on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't like the IR thing. You can leave a guy on it all year if you want which I don't think is fair.

The IR thing is designed to leave a guy on it all year but you can only put someone on it if they have been designated IR in real life. It just clears a roster spot for anyone unfortunate enough to lose a player for the season through injury without having to drop him

• Registered Users Posts: 37,321 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The IR thing is designed to leave a guy on it all year but you can only put someone on it if they have been designated IR in real life. It just clears a roster spot for anyone unfortunate enough to lose a player for the season through injury without having to drop him
    Are you sure? I think you can put somebody on it at any time during the year whether he is injured or not. The only thing is you cannot use that player until you drop somebody from your roster.

If a person has to be on IR IRL(:D man I'm almost confused myself now!) then thats fine I have no problem with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/resources/help/content?name=additional-notes
    INJURY DESIGNATIONS
    The system uses the NFL's official disabled list to update players' injury status.

MANAGING YOUR INJURED RESERVE
    Players who are eligible for the Injured Reserve (IR) are designated with an asterisk and a "IR" in red. To move a player on your team to an IR slot click on the "Manage IR" link at the top of your team page. This link will only appear in leagues which use IR slot(s).

IR-eligible players can only be moved to the IR slot from your active roster or bench. Players can not be added directly to your IR slot from free agency, as you must first add the player to an open bench slot.

To move a player from your IR back to your active roster or bench, click on the "Manage IR" link at the top of the Team page and activate the player

Other way would definitely be unfair.

If we go with it we have to decide how many IR spots to use. 4 sounds like a lot to me but it seems with dynasty that deeper is the safer option for pretty much everything.

Think I'm going to do more study for this first draft then I do for college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Would be happy with 1 or 2 IR spots, definitely worth having as I have found out from using the DL in my baseball keeper league. Though might not as big of an issue with this large roster size.

Would be in faovur of 2 RB & 1 Flex over 2 Flex & 1 RB

Just one question on the Dynasty vs. Keeper format;
    Are there a set number of players we hold onto each year or is it entire roster and then a rookie draft w/ roster cuts to get to limit?

Have been commish for a couple of other leagues, and just a few points to note on some of the league rules that can have effect on draft preparation, roster construction etc:
    -Scoring: How many points QB gets for passing TD
    -Scoring: Points per Reception for RB/TE/WR? 0, 0.5, 1
    -Scoring: Anything counted for the return game? (Can boost value of players like Hester/D-Jax, etc)
    -Roster QB: Some deeper/dynasty type leagues go with 2 QBs to nullify the massive advantage having someone like 2011 Rodgers
    -Trade review/veto system? Usually made up of a 3-man committee that people can refer trades to that they think are unbalanced or veto system (4/5 votes to veto a trade)
    -Can future draft picks be traded?
    -Is there a cost for keeping players? Idea of this is to foster some kind of turnover in rosters to keep the activity up, rather than people just sitting on their whole roster year-on-year

Anyway, just thought I'd share some of the issues have come across

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Would be in faovur of 2 RB & 1 Flex over 2 Flex & 1 RB

Why 1 flex over 2?

Scoring could affect my opinion but I'd vote for 2 flex.
    Are there a set number of players we hold onto each year or is it entire roster and then a rookie draft w/ roster cuts to get to limit?

Keep the entire roster (you can obviously cut players). Then a rookie/fa draft.
    -Is there a cost for keeping players? Idea of this is to foster some kind of turnover in rosters to keep the activity up, rather than people just sitting on their whole roster year-on-year

No, the point of dynasty is to keep your roster and try and develop your team for the future.

That's what I'd want, makes it more realistic. And trades become more important so anything that helps trading would be good imo.

Not sure if it's built in to ESPN, but we can find a way to make it work if we go with it.
    -Roster QB: Some deeper/dynasty type leagues go with 2 QBs to nullify the massive advantage having someone like 2011 Rodgers

My first reaction is that I'd prefer 1QB, haven't given it much thought though.
    -Trade review/veto system? Usually made up of a 3-man committee that people can refer trades to that they think are unbalanced or veto system (4/5 votes to veto a trade)

Default is league wide vote isn't it? I don't really have a preference either way though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

I also suggested 1 Flex / 2 RB simply because there's something weird about being able to get away with just 1 RB on your roster. I think 2 flex positions on offence is 1 too many, but that's just imo.

Would be happy with 1 or 2 IR spots, definitely worth having as I have found out from using the DL in my baseball keeper league. Though might not as big of an issue with this large roster size.

One IR sounds about right to me, we will have a big bench after all

Would be in favour of 2 RB & 1 Flex over 2 Flex & 1 RB

Me too, mainly because I'm used to having 2 RBs from normal fantasy leagues (also similar with 1 QB below)

-Scoring: How many points QB gets for passing TD
    -Scoring: Points per Reception for RB/TE/WR? 0, 0.5, 1
    -Scoring: Anything counted for the return game? (Can boost value of players like Hester/D-Jax, etc)

Right now I've left the scoring as ESPN defaults, we can alter that as we go (right now I've just set up the league to get an idea of what we can and cannot do)

I wouldn't be a fan of this as most people would wish to carry a bench QB for bye weeks and in case of injuries - this would mean having 3 QBs each?

Right now this is in place, anyone can vote to veto a trade and if the trade gets 3 vetos it is blocked.

As MM said there isn't an official way of doing this on ESPN but one way I could think of is after trading a pick (for a player as an example) you tell your trade partner who to select when it comes to the pick?

Masked man cleared up a good bit of this, my responses are in bold

Thanks for the responses Masked Man/UCD AFC
    UCD AFC wrote: »
    As MM said there isn't an official way of doing this on ESPN but one way I could think of is after trading a pick (for a player as an example) you tell your trade partner who to select when it comes to the pick?

You should be able to enable this on an ESPN league if you are using the League Manager version to set up the league.
    Once you have set the league to Keeper (just put amount of keepers at the roster size, this basically makes it dynasty then), go into the 'Draft' settings area and there should be an option at the bottom saying "Allow Draft Pick trading"

Thanks Rob, have set draft pick trading to allowed. Just a few things from poll results

Only one person hasn't answered it, so thanks for quick responses. All of the comments on the poll have been cleared up on here.

The vote went 7-4 in favour of a free agent bidding system. Could anyone who has used this before suggest a figure for us to use?

Only 3 people voted for an offline draft. I would much prefer an online one, find it much more exciting (and dramatic!) so if we could sort out a time suiting everyone closer to the time I would go for it.

I'll post up the updated roster in a couple of days, is everyone happy with the changes - switching one of the flex spots to a second RB (2RB, 1 Flex) and changing the defensive players (2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 1 flex)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

I also suggested 1 Flex / 2 RB simply because there's something weird about being able to get away with just 1 RB on your roster. I think 2 flex positions on offence is 1 too many, but that's just imo.

Agreed. If you are putting in a flex 1 is enough. 2 Flex's will evaporate RB/WR far too quickly it will also leave very little depth issues all over the place. Played in a league with 2 flex positions once and it was awful.

As for the auction on the free agency? Have most of you ever done it before? Its retarded. Most Auction leagues have auction Drafts and FA. You get 200m in the Draft and 50-100m for the FA.

Its starts off like fun but trust me when it gets into the thick of it finding players is near impossible as someone always bids on players for the ****s and giggles and zaps up their 50-100m just for the sake of taking someone off the agency and running up prices. Also with Large rosters and bench auction FA is a tad mad because you will end up carrying more than a few injured players on your roster. In a league I was in last year I was one of the unlucky ones who carried 3 injured QBs and ended the season with no money and no starting QB or RB.

The vote went 7-4 in favour of a free agent bidding system. Could anyone who has used this before suggest a figure for us to use?

Usually budget is $100 when I've used it.
    Two different types of auctions I've seen:
    1. Highest bidder wins for whatever price their bid was
    2. Highest bidder wins for whatever price the 2nd highest bid was + $1

e.g. Two teams on Player X. Team A bids $65, Team B bids $50
    1. Team A wins bid at $65
    2. Team A wins bid at $51

Must say I prefer this system to the waiver claims, as it adds a bit of strategy to FA pickups rather than whoever happens to have No.1 waiver claim that particular week and the players go to whoever values them most. In a league last year, think I bid nearly all my money on Cam Newton in week 2 and worked out brilliantly for me

With a league this deep, can't see the system being too influential anyway as there aren't likely to be really impactful players available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Must say I prefer this system to the waiver claims, as it adds a bit of strategy to FA pickups rather than whoever happens to have No.1 waiver claim that particular week and the players go to whoever values them most. In a league last year, think I bid nearly all my money on Cam Newton in week 2 and worked out brilliantly for me

With a league this deep, can't see the system being too influential anyway as there aren't likely to be really impactful players available.

Agree with this. After doing a bit of research on how it works I voted for the bidding system aswell. Think it'll be a bit more interesting than having to pray that someone ahead of you doesn't pick up the player you want. Adds a bit more to the team management side of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Guffy

Is it too late to get in on this or be put on a. Reserve list?

gufc21 wrote: »
    Is it too late to get in on this or be put on a. Reserve list?

We had 2 extra guys who posted after the 12 spots were taken so they're in my mind as reserves (hopefully we don't have to call upon them :p )

tomorrow or monday I'll send everyone in the league a PM to gather the e-mails so I can start adding everyone to the league. then hopefully we clear everything up and start looking forward to the draft! thanks for all the feedback in the thread and please do continue to raise any questions and problems you may have :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Guffy

Well keep me in the list even if its for next season and a team opens up:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,321 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Signed up for this and there are two flex players. I think that should be changed to one.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Signed up for this and there are two flex players. I think that should be changed to one.

Yes that's correct, I changed it now :)

Have the invites been sent out then?
    Didn't get one yet

Have the invites been sent out then?
    Didn't get one yet

Hi Rob, either I left you out of my PM list by accident or I have deleted the PM. Either way could you PM me your e-mail you wish to use for the league. I have sent everyone else an invite and all but 2 (not including Rob) have joined

• Advertisement

Everybody has joined, thanks for quick responses.

Was just having a quick look at the league settings, and was wondering about a couple of things:

-Don't see the defensive flex player on the starter list
    -Doesn't look there is any points for tackles or sacks for defensive players. Presume this is a mistake?
    -Free agent system still set as waivers
    -Draft order currently 'Manually Set by League Manager' so will we know this in advance of the draft or will this be changed to randomise just before draft?

Looking forward to the draft and kicking off this dynasty league!

I haven't looked at scoring yet all just default - was gonna look around to see what is the common scoring for these leagues. As for the draft all I have done with that was make sure it didn't start without us :P yeah it'll be random.

I'll put the D Flex on now & change the waivers.

edit: Just so everyone is aware the D Flex is called Defensive Player Utility (DP)

And, another question, are people happy with bids of 0 in the waivers which means if you bid 0 and nobody else bids the players is yours?

Thanks UCD
    I haven't looked at scoring yet all just default - was gonna look around to see what is the common scoring for these leagues

Found an ESPN article that mentions standard scoring in an IDP league, though as these leagues are so few at the moment there is no real 'standard' yet
    http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?page=nfldk2k12idpstrategy

Solo tackle (1)
    Assisted tackle (0.5)
    Sack (3)
    Interception (3)
    Forced Fumble (3)
    Fumble Recovery (3)
    Touchdown (6)
    Safety (2)
    Pass Defensed (1)
    Blocked Kick (3)

And, another question, are people happy with bids of 0 in the waivers which means if you bid 0 and nobody else bids the players is yours?

Happy with that

I like the scoring list for the IDP that BigBadRob has posted with one exception. I dont think a sack should be same value as a turnover so maybe 2pts for a sack would be more appropriate.

Happy with the waiver system

I would like to see rosters incresed to 35, gives us more flexibility. You can keep the keeper number at 30 which allows the remaining 5 to be filled by a 5 round rookie draft each year.

I like the scoring list for the IDP that BigBadRob has posted with one exception. I dont think a sack should be same value as a turnover so maybe 2pts for a sack would be more appropriate.

Yeah that makes good sense
    I would like to see rosters incresed to 35, gives us more flexibility. You can keep the keeper number at 30 which allows the remaining 5 to be filled by a 5 round rookie draft each year.

Don't know if there's a need to make rosters that big, 15 starters and 15 bench is fine for me.

Good point on the keepers, can't have a full roster before the draft so will have to have a certain amount of open roster spots before the draft

Would like to hear more feedback on the roster size, will change the scoring to the above in the morning

Has the scoring been updated UCD?

Also, probably a good idea for everyone to put post their team name so we all know who is who for trade talk, banter etc.

My team: New Ireland Patriots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Dunluce Demons (as always)

• Advertisement

Bear Down is me

Any idea on when we draft? 30 rounds by 12 should only take 2 hours or so but i reckon it would be important for majority to be online given its dynasty

Advertisement