Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new fiat 500

• 26-06-2012 7:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

can anyone tell me more on these,,my sister is on about getting the 1.2 petrol version,,,so are they economical...according to top gear they do 38miles to the gallon but thats topgear.i find that hard to believe

thanks for any replies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Why would 38 mpg be hard to believe for a 1.2 engine in a tiny car?
    great buy by all accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Its 58mpg combined. 38 would be rubbish from that size

That would make more sense but Id say its a bit on the optimistic side.

mickdw wrote: »
    That would make more sense but Id say its a bit on the optimistic side.

My old Punto used to manage 55mpg (another member here has it now). The Bravos here average around 49mpg. All 1.2s. All much older, less efficient and heavier than the much newer and lighter 500. I'd say on long trips you could be looking near 70mpg if driven lightly

You must be driving very efficiently to get 50 mpg out of 1.2 bravos.

• Advertisement

You must be driving very efficiently to get 50 mpg out of 1.2 bravos.

I didn't say 50 from out Bravos. 49 is what each of us got tops when driving handy. Realistic driving sees around 45 to 47 mpg. Driving the lard out of them sees 41. Town/city driving is 37 onwards.

You see, these cars are extremely well maintained. As a result, we get those kind of figures (brim the tank, do x amount of miles, fill, calculate). Not your usual tatty examples. Plugs cleaned every few thousand miles, tb kept spotless, wiring kept corrosion free, tyres constantly checked, oil and water checked before every journey. The best of oils, high octane petrol, part's replaced when showing signs of fatigue.

There's a reason why these cars perform so well, we expect that from them with all the attention they get.

That level of maintenance would go some way to explaining it for sure.

That level of maintenance would go some way to explaining it for sure.

Here's an example of what I'm on about, if you're interested and want to spend a bit of time reading the whole thread :)

dgt wrote: »
    Here's an example of what I'm on about, if you're interested and want to spend a bit of time reading the whole thread :)

Will have a good look through that when I get a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

6.0L/100km (~47mpg) average fuel consumption from my wife's 1.2L 500 over 4 years of ownership. Mostly city driving.

Great little car, highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Drove a rental on holiday, 1.2 engine. Was looking forward to it, always liked the look of them and thought it'd be pretty pokey given the size of the engine vs the size of the car.

Hated it. Slow, no torque for hills, seatbelts that'd have the neck off you, way narrower inside than it should be given the width of it, generally uncomfortable. Pure Italian, all style and no substance

The Aygo I had on the previous holiday was a pleasure in comparison, despite sounding like an empty beer can every time I closed the door.

It wouldnt be a small fiat if you didnt have to have the pistons jumping out through the bonnet to get a bit of power out of it.

............. Driving the lard out of them sees 41. Town/city driving is 37 onwards.

41mpg when driving the lard out of them?
    ............... Plugs cleaned every few thousand miles, tb kept spotless, wiring kept corrosion free, tyres constantly checked, oil and water checked before every journey. The best of oils, high octane petrol, part's replaced when showing signs of fatigue.

Seems more than a tad extreme.

RoverJames wrote: »
    41mpg when driving the lard out of them?
    In or around that. Heavy right foot, motorway speeds etc. I'm sure it could be a lot worse, driving everywhere in 3rd gear for example. 41 is a general figure not a definite.
    RoverJames wrote: »
    Seems more than a tad extreme.
    I am extreme, I spent too much time on these cars :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Wife has a 01 Bravo 1.2, and I can get 45mpg out of it without trying too. On one trip where I wasn't sparing it, I brimmed it in a petrol station, drove a fair few trips, up the country with a reasonable amount of motorway driving which isn't great for ecomony on small cars, especially seeing as its at close to 4k rpm in 5th at an indicated 80mph, which should be close to a real world 120kph, and after around 450 miles on it I filled it up again in the same station, same pump. It took 45 litres. Think there was just a little under 450 miles. But not bad for an 11 year old car driven like it was stolen!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

Have the current bravo multijet, does 58mpgs all week long& I don't try to be eco at all. Would be driving it fast enough & it's brilliant, will b getting a fiat again next time but have no desire to change right now. The current fiats are excellent value driving,just b sure to get multijet or twinair if u want lower bills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Can't comment on the 1.2 but I have a TwinAir, and get around 45mpg on it (95% motorway speeds). Great performance too - drove it across Europe to Poland and it held its own on the Autobahn! You can get closer to the manufacturer's figure (72mpg I think!) if you reign it in and switch on Eco mode etc, but really...life is too short.

Economy-aside, it's a grand little car to drive. The lounge spec has air-con, USB for media player/iphone, bluetooth handsfree and all the other gubbins you could ask for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

what do they mean by combined

Its 58mpg combined. 38 would be rubbish from that size

Advertisement