Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Foreign Tailors Visiting Ireland

• 26-06-2012 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Does anybody know of a tailor who comes and take your measurements and subsequently goes back home and makes the suit?

What is the quality of these? Is there any horror stories of this or bad reviews?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

I have dealt with two of them. One good and one bad. The good one does a very good job at a competitive price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Formation

Any details?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

dooleygj wrote: »
    Does anybody know of a tailor who comes and take your measurements and subsequently goes back home and makes the suit?

What is the quality of these? Is there any horror stories of this or bad reviews?

As someone with a bit of experience with tailors and bespoke and made-to-measure and made-to-order programmes I would counsel a fair degree of caution with a visiting tailor service.

1. In order to get a good idea of your figuration you really need to see the tailor a few times. In mosts cases its about building a relationship where the tailor learns your style and needs and vice-versa.

2. The visiting tailor especially those based in the Far East will often make more money on their cloth. So fine the headline figure of E200 for a suit sounds great until you realise that the cloth is 100% polyester. When you factor in decent cloth they are the same or slightly higher price than a local tailor.

I recommend that instead of buying from a visiting tailor that you talk to a menswear shop that do a decent made-to-measure programme with a fitting as part of it. Bladen is one very well regarded company in the UK with retailers in Ireland.

Again if you've more resources you could ask a few tailors for prices. Bear in mind that the more expensive cloth is not necessarily better as it is softer and so will wear out quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Formation

How much are you looking at for a decent quality tailored suit from somewhere like louis copeland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

Formation wrote: »
    How much are you looking at for a decent quality tailored suit from somewhere like louis copeland?

I can't speak for Copeland. However its a bit like asking how long is a piece of string. It depends on what construction you want i.e. canvassed, half-canvassed, or fused, how much handwork (handsewn buttonholes are much nicer) you want, and what cloth you pick, the lightest or softest cloths are the most expensive.

You need to research what you want and then start ringing up to discuss it.

A two-piece in a standard durable English worsted starts at around E850-E900 fully canvassed. Half canvassed would be less and fused should be around E450 depending again on handwork and cloth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement