Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for alarm company to service / repair alarm...

Options
  • 26-06-2012 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi all

I'm looking for a company to repair/service my alarm. I wasn't happy with the service from my previous alarm co, so need to find a new one.

I presume any company can fix my alarm, and that it doesnt have to be the company that installed it?

Also, I gather the company has to be licensed by the PSA, am I right.? I located a local alarm company on the web, that has the NSAI logo with I.S EN 50131-1 on it, but can't find the company on the PSA register - should I stay away??

Also what is the average call out charge? Or would some alarm companies give a quote before I agree to any repairs etc?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi all

I'm looking for a company to repair/service my alarm. I wasn't happy with the service from my previous alarm co, so need to find a new one.

I presume any company can fix my alarm, and that it doesnt have to be the company that installed it?

In most cases yes. Some companies have their own preference on panels & may not wan't to work on others, as always shop around.
    Also, I gather the company has to be licensed by the PSA, am I right.? I located a local alarm company on the web, that has the NSAI logo with I.S EN 50131-1 on it, but can't find the company on the PSA register - should I stay away??
    If they have up to date certification they would have a PSA licence.
    See this thread for more information . There is also a link there for the PSA register of licensed installers, so you can do a search there.
    There is also a sticky here with some licensed installers.
    Also what is the average call out charge? Or would some alarm companies give a quote before I agree to any repairs etc?
    All should give you an idea of costs before calling out. If they feel they can't they should offer you a free assessment to quote you correctly. Again shop around. Call outs vary a lot . Sometimes the cheaper call outs may be limited to 30 minutes or an hour. Other may be dearer but may be a flat rate regardless . Eg Installer A may sound great offering you a €60 call out , but this may be limited to half hour or an hour. Installer B may have a flat rate of €90 Bad value if its a service , but good value if the job entails more.
    There is also the Installer C who may have a higher rat & still charge by time also.:eek: My advice is always shop around & get at least 3 quotes. Don't accept someone calling who is going to charge you regardless .

Advertisement