Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 5gb enough for an average user ?

Options
  • 26-06-2012 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

And before everyone shouts at me about what an "average user" is...I'm coming off a business account and going to a personal account for the first time in 10 years so here goes...don't watch movies or stream or download music. Internet usage would be limited to Facebook, Twitter and occasional web browsing each day. Would need e-mail access and things like Bloomberg etc. but probably only for hourly updates rather than live and continuous updates.
    Not really a techie so I'm trying to decide what is the best bill pay package for me. Found one that offers 200 mins calls / 200 texts (both of which I doubt I'll get near using) and 5gb data.
    What do you think ? Would that allowance be sufficient for what I've described above ? Sorry - forgot to mention - have wifi at home so that might help reduce usage on phone.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

For mostly Facebook, Twitter and news articles, 5GB should be alright. If you're going to be watching a lot of youtube then no.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm a nerd who streams music over 3G an is browsing all the time and I use 3-4Gb per month(of 15), for someone who actually has their phone in their pocket some of the day that'd be plenty. My dad is a businessman and uses ~1Gb per month, mainly email and stocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

5GB is a tonne, you'd have to be the exception to use over 5GB a month.

I tether my phone to my laptop/tablet and still don't use that much. I wouldn't do that much downloading, but I would have some.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I'm just going to repeat what all the others is and say 5GB is a lot.

I've 15GB and for one month i tried my hardest to use it, Streaming music, online radio video , internet etc and i used 4GB.

Trust me , you'll be fine with 5GB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Hi can you tell me who the offer of 200 mins/txt plus 5GB is with? i'd be interested in something like that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

For what you are doing you need less than 1gb, I use my phone heavily for the web, Facebook, twitter, sky news and boards being the main sites / apps. Add in email too at a guess ten emails a day max. I used to be only a few hundred megs even though I was hourly updating these.

Streaming is what uses data, once I started using Netflix and Tunein (audio streaming) I started using the guts of four at a push, I have 7.5 gbs and unless I lived on my phone, I'd not have a chance of getting anywhere near it.

Look at a lower data plan, no point paying for what you don't use. Do you have a phone already? If so shop around, sign in to the rolling 30 day contracts for the first few months that way you can change provider if it's not working out.

(declaration on interest; I work for one of the mobile networks, but am only posting my own opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It depends on your access to wifi. I have Wifi at home and work so outside of that it's difficult to use up 3G data.

Still I have Unlimited Data with Three so it's been handy when away and streaming tv shows.

Advertisement