Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There is no shared accommodation in Galway - NONE! city

Options
  • 26-06-2012 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

First off, I have to say that I like Galway, I genuinely think it's one of the coolest towns in the country but the house sharing rental market is one of the worst I have ever encountered.

There is virtually nothing available on Daft.ie.

I want a place East of the river with central heating, internet, parking and a washing machine and dryer. I am willing to share with up to three others.

One would think that this is not too much to ask? Wrong! Apparently such modern conveniences do not exist in the city centre. (By city centre I mean within 4km of Eyre square)

I know people will say try the Galway advertiser but for £uck sake! This is the 21st century god dammit!! If people are looking for house-mates and couldn't be bothered taking a few photos and uploading to daft then let's face it, it's going to be an absolute kip, either that or it will be populated by complete morons.

I've been keeping an eye on daft for what seems like an eternity now and the situation grows ever graver. One would be forgiven for thinking that when the student year came to a close that there would be a deluge of shared accommodation waiting to be filled. More fool me.

Any advice/help would be very welcome.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There is shared accomodation and loads of it.
    The market is seasonal, student dependent and July festivals dependent. There are loads of empty properties. Wait another 5 weeks and see it all materialise.

I've also noticed rents rising a bit despite (or because of) the recession.
    Maybe you should advertise that you want a place instead of waiting for someone to advertise to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭wallpaper12

Well parking is obv the biggie there, not may of the shared accommodation in the city have parking but you can apply to the council for a permit for 40 euro for the year and you can then park on certain streets near the apartment.

I had an apartment for rent for nearly 2 months before anyone took it in a central location with everything you wanted except parking so I think your just being too picky because there is loads out there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The OP wants a washing machine and a dryer!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

The 2 worst times to try to rent in Galway is June and September.

In June, 22,000 students leave but possible a similar amount of other students, foreigners, seasonal workers and arty farty wannabees relocate here to work or sign on (or busk on Shop Street with really annoying amplifiers that they believe will attract media attention but in reality highlight their lack of talent because quality buskers don't need microphones and thus, they don't make enough money for the bus back to Shhhligo)

September is as bad, because 22,000 students return.

Apologies for the off topic rant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭spectre

snubbleste wrote: »
    There is shared accomodation and loads of it.
    The market is seasonal, student dependent and July festivals dependent. There are loads of empty properties. Wait another 5 weeks and see it all materialise.

I've also noticed rents rising a bit despite (or because of) the recession.
    Maybe you should advertise that you want a place instead of waiting for someone to advertise to you?

Trust me, there is very little available. I've spent weeks looking. There seems to be a good few vacancies in Salthill and other areas west of the river but that's the wrong side of town for me.

Well parking is obv the biggie there, not may of the shared accommodation in the city have parking but you can apply to the council for a permit for 40 euro for the year and you can then park on certain streets near the apartment.

I had an apartment for rent for nearly 2 months before anyone took it in a central location with everything you wanted except parking so I think your just being too picky because there is loads out there.

Good thinking. Trouble about getting a permit is you need your car and insurance to be registered at that address along with a utility bill in your name before the council will issue a permit. May be doable though if a permit is required during working hours only.

Edit: Actually for renting purposes, a copy of the tenancy agreement is sufficient. Nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I live down the Tuam Road, there is loads of vacancies on my estate and the apartments are all very nice. There's amble parking and never any noise problems.

Just saying....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

On daft there is currently 93 share adverts in city centre. That's not a lot compared to London but it's something.
    There is also 40 single bed adverts, 8 has parking available.
    And I didn't even check Galway Advertiser online.

Everyone else manages fine with Advertiser/daft/similar sites. You should too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

spectre wrote: »
    I want a place listed on Daft, East of the river with central heating, internet, parking and a washing machine and dryer. I am willing to share with up to three others.
    Any advice/help would be very welcome.

Fixed your request for you ... :D

You are looking in Galway, so your choices are looking on
    • Dublin Accommodation Finder Terminal (granted, now known just as Daft .. surely a daft name for such a service!)
    • Galway Advertiser (yes, the classified are available on-line and free to viewers)
    Not a hard call, I would have thought.

In fairness, the opening of Bioware did soak up a lot of the empty house-shares in the east of the city. 'Twas a few months ago, though, so at least some of 'em will be sick of their flatmates by now and want a swap around.

Have you considered taking the lease of a house yourself, and getting flatmates in? I know that some landlords here don't operate like that, but some, do so it's worth considering - if you're finding it hard to get a place, maybe others are too, so it won't be so hard to fill.

Also, I this it's unreasonable to expect internet to be included in a rental. Too many variations in what people require in terms of speed etc. And you can get yourself mobile broadband for E18-ish per month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

I just spent 30 seconds looking at daft out of curiosity.

http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=678024

Ticks all the boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Paddyfield wrote: »
    (or busk on Shop Street with really annoying amplifiers that they believe will attract media attention but in reality highlight their lack of talent because quality buskers don't need microphones )

In general I agree, but then think about if you play Spanish guitar or sing quietly and have to have an amp to be heard because the 'quality' Sax player with 3 notes, or the 2 Djembe guys who just bought a drum and know one riff are beside you. Been discussed here before I know, Decibel rule is the only thing that will solve it. Those who crank it up to 20 should be shot though...from someone who lived in town.

Back on topic, heard of a good few places for rent in Shantalla. Local shop notice boards sometimes have gems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I agree with your general sentiment, I'm trying to move in town to somewhere nearer the center but favoring the west, there are some nice places in galway but at the same time to many rental houses haven't been changed bar a lick of paint since they were built. Also parking is a b***h on street parking permits are available but really aren't ideal.
    I want a place East of the river with central heating, internet, parking and a washing machine and dryer. I am willing to share with up to three others.

Mullan mor should meet all your requirements and there's a good few on DAFT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Mullan mor should meet all your requirements and there's a good few on DAFT

This is where I live, and I'll just reiterate that it is a great spot. The houses are only about 10 years old, they're spacious and there is more parking than you can shake a beshítted branch at.

JustMary wrote:
    Dublin Accommodation Finder Terminal (granted, now known just as Daft .. surely a daft name for such a service!)

I did not know that.
    JustMary wrote:

Have you considered taking the lease of a house yourself, and getting flatmates in? I know that some landlords here don't operate like that, but some, do so it's worth considering - if you're finding it hard to get a place, maybe others are too, so it won't be so hard to fill.

I'm not sure how long I'll be around for so can't take the risk of a lease.
    JustMary wrote:
    Also, I this it's unreasonable to expect internet to be included in a rental. Too many variations in what people require in terms of speed etc. And you can get yourself mobile broadband for E18-ish per month.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Mobile broadband is excruciatingly painful to use.

Triangla wrote: »
    I just spent 30 seconds looking at daft out of curiosity.

http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=678024

Ticks all the boxes.

Not quite, that place doesn't have central heating. My past relationships with electric heaters have been turbulent.

Yes I know I'm a fussy fúcker.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

inisboffin wrote: »
    In general I agree, but then think about if you play Spanish guitar or sing quietly and have to have an amp to be heard because the 'quality' Sax player with 3 notes, or the 2 Djembe guys who just bought a drum and know one riff are beside you. Been discussed here before I know, Decibel rule is the only thing that will solve it. Those who crank it up to 20 should be shot though...from someone who lived in town.

Back on topic, heard of a good few places for rent in Shantalla. Local shop notice boards sometimes have gems.

I disagree. That sax 'player' wishes he had three notes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement