Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

holidays!

• 26-06-2012 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

out of interest will ye get away and for how long? we are going on a supervalu break next week for a couple of nights all the way to laois, we where in spain-all of us:rolleyes:- for 4 nights in the spring

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭grumpyfarmer

Used to never go on hols until i started going out with my OH 4 years ago, now we go for a week in Sept/Oct. we each choose location on alternate years. London 1st year, tenerife the next, Scotland last year and i think its Munich this year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

and i think its Munich this year...

I wonder who's organising things this year........? :rolleyes: :p

A few short weekend breaks around Ireland for Mr Muckit and OH. There really are no excuses for anyone not to getaway for a short break if not milking. Nothing is saved by not going on holiday. False economy in my books. Very important to get away and unwind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

cork hopefully for a few days end of july.. break is needed..and i only farm part-time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

no holidays for me till the cows are dry in november!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

going to france on saturday for 10 days , going to italy then on a busmans hol for 2 days looking at feed lots.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

12 weddings to go to and our own wedding and honeymoon in October so heading for vietnam.1 cow to calve when on the honeymoon and the rest of the first timers starting the week we get back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

We were supposed to go to killarney the weekend after next where I was supposed to do the ring of kerry cycle and we were to stay for 4 nights. Cancelled it last sunday. No silage done, turf to come off the bog, Mrs not keen on bringing the young one on such a long drive as she's teething, father in law got a hospital appointment on friday which is in the middle of when we were supposed to be away, has been waiting 10 months for the appointment so doesn't want to cancel it. Mrs got anxious so I pulled the plug on it. She's happier now than she was with the thought of going on holiday when I booked it last January.

I'm depressed, was looking forward to the cycle and to getting away.

Booked a trip to london in mid august for 2 nights. Eur 60 for the flights and Eur200 for a 5 star hotel at trafalgar square for the 2 nights. Been to london a few times myself but herself has never been there. It'll do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭FixItAginTomora

Was skiing in Jan, then Teneriffe early May, very lucky came home for re-seeding when the weather was fine that week oh so long ago! Hard to predict when to get away for summer, jan not so bad. Sun holiday was ok as long as I had plenty to do, not one for lazing by the pool. No sign o a tractor or cow anywhere. :rolleyes: Sum nice sights grazing and lazing on the beach thou! :D :cool: Hard beat Irealnd too thou, plan few w.nds away, G.way a couple times, Westport always good too. Got a stag in Edinburugh soon too. Actually wait, best go check the bank balance, wonder can I scam a Few Euros outta Ulster Bank with their tech probs! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭grazeaway

holidays are nice alright, everyone needs a break once in a while, those supervalu vouchers are great especially when money is tight. we have a voucher for this year so plan on using that later in the year. last holiday was two weeks with the in-laws on the continent, was good to get away and experience normal family life in a different setting I always find it quite relaxing.

when I was single I used to build up my hols and then feck off somewhere for a few weeks usually without any spefic plan was great. got to go see places like canada, the US, NZ, south America, lots of Europe. its a bit hard to do that now, kinda regret i didnt do more when i could, but when i had the time i didnt have the money and when i had the money i didnt have the time.

actually went i my 1st ever package holiday last year, wasnt something i was interested in doing before but enjoyed it. was an all inclusive hotel right on the beach. my day consisted of wandering between the restaurant, pool, beach, snack bar and bar. needed a break big time and it was just what i needed. not sure i'd do it every year but every now and then its good to just have nothing to do but lie by the water in the sun reading a book and sipping a nice cold beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

reilig wrote: »
    We were supposed to go to killarney the weekend after next where I was supposed to do the ring of kerry cycle and we were to stay for 4 nights. Cancelled it last sunday. No silage done, turf to come off the bog, Mrs not keen on bringing the young one on such a long drive as she's teething, father in law got a hospital appointment on friday which is in the middle of when we were supposed to be away, has been waiting 10 months for the appointment so doesn't want to cancel it. Mrs got anxious so I pulled the plug on it. She's happier now than she was with the thought of going on holiday when I booked it last January.

I'm depressed, was looking forward to the cycle and to getting away.

Booked a trip to london in mid august for 2 nights. Eur 60 for the flights and Eur200 for a 5 star hotel at trafalgar square for the 2 nights. Been to london a few times myself but herself has never been there. It'll do!

Jees Reilig,

It's a pity but Kerry wasn't to be for ya but ye"ll enjoy London just as much as timing would be much better.

• Advertisement

Turkey for 7 nights 3rd week in July, only booked it last week GF is a teacher so kinda dictated as to when to go as she back to school 26 Aug so won't feel summer going, school holidays at Halloween/ Easter always add a premium when we go booking :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

heading to louisburgh co mayo in 3 weeks despite the fact that i showed the rainfall map of ireland to herself but i suppose that what makes marriage work--or not:P.wouldnt be without a holiday now ,go some where different every year and dosent cost that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

headed to Spain in may the only fine week we got .had to go that early as oh is expecting no 2 in Oct so flying later on no a good idea.Anyway one calf got his leg caught in feeder ....vet shot him Pb bull .replacement calf limo h cost 350.00 .not too bad as oh visa bill will be a lot more...

STAG THIS WEEKEND .....reseeding done bales done turf not yet.......life is short

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I'm sitting in a holday house in banna, kerry, waiting for my wife and daughter to come back from the pool, young lad is having a nap and I'm only just up myself as he woke me at 6am.

The only thing we're missing from home is the blackout curtain linings!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

My only holiday is to the bog this year. Havent been abroad since Feb 2010 in florida. OH was in Spain 6 weeks ago while having a broken ankle.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dryan

A week in spain planned for second last week in august.
    Cant wait for the break and a bit of chill out time with the family and leaping and plaing in the pool with the 2 kids for the week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

went to spain, Bendelama, the week before last with the kids, great time, all inclusive package holiday, kids clubs, kids creche, entertainment all day through till 11 at night, any amount of pools and slides. ashamed to say, the kids were that busy, we only left the resort one day:o
    oh and beer was included too:D:D:D

missus already testing the water for skiing next jan, and were only back a week.
    too early to ask me to part with money again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Was in portugal last week with OH and child. Was lovely. At least the sun is still up there somewhere!

No hay cut yet obviously and the turf is still on the bog. It is going to be a long summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jimmydkid

Was in dingle for five days in april it had everything only the weather, Will head for a week of sun in sept or oct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

jimmydkid wrote: »
    Was in dingle for five days in april it had everything only the weather, Will head for a week of sun in sept or oct
    Kerry is a lovely spot, have gone there for 2 weekends myself in the last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭flat out !!

Going on what will prob be our biggest holiday (honeymoon) in oct. Only problem is deciding destination. We have it narrowed down to 2 now, south africa or west coast america. Going for 3 weeks. Cant wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭KCTK

Going on what will prob be our biggest holiday (honeymoon) in oct. Only problem is deciding destination. We have it narrowed down to 2 now, south africa or west coast america. Going for 3 weeks. Cant wait.

Had honeymoon in 2010, done South Africa and Mauritius, could not recommend SA highly enough, superb spot, we done safari and Cape Town, the level of service and luxury out there is unbelievable, people are the nicest you'll ever meet and is dirt cheap once you get there.

As for Mauritius it is the exact opposite and would rather spend a week in the bog trying to turn turf out of water that is stuck to the ground than go back there!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

holidays are the stuff dreams are made of around here. The ability to turn the phone off for a day or two would be good enough for me.

KCTK wrote: »
    Had honeymoon in 2010, done South Africa and Mauritius, could not recommend SA highly enough, superb spot, we done safari and Cape Town, the level of service and luxury out there is unbelievable, people are the nicest you'll ever meet and is dirt cheap once you get there.

As for Mauritius it is the exact opposite and would rather spend a week in the bog trying to turn turf out of water that is stuck to the ground than go back there!!!

Wow, Mauritius that bad was it,? We hadn't really considered it anyways for some reason. But yeah, SA sounds fab. Anyone that's been there has only good things to say about it. Which sufari park did ye go to.? Have been getting mixed views on them, some suggest it has to be Kruger, others say the smaller ones are just as good, just on a smaller scale and far less expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Totally agree with KCTK, SA was there on our honeymoon 4 years ago and its a super spot, went to Kareiga game park, one of the smaller ones but got to see everything alot of people can go to Kruger and not see the big 5.

As for Mauritius would also agree, didn't like it at all, stayed in the now infamous legends and neither of us liked it, really fake and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Wow, Mauritius that bad was it,? We hadn't really considered it anyways for some reason. But yeah, SA sounds fab. Anyone that's been there has only good things to say about it. Which sufari park did ye go to.? Have been getting mixed views on them, some suggest it has to be Kruger, others say the smaller ones are just as good, just on a smaller scale and far less expensive.

We went to a place called Shamwari http://www.shamwari.com/propertycontent.asp?pageID=115 was small (about 20,000ha!!), would definately recommend it but would love to do Kruger also though. Stayed in this place then in Cape Town http://www.caperoyale.co.za/, right across d road from the new soccer stadium and 2 minutes walk to be Harbour area, beyond luxury, a fleet of jags on standby to take you where ever you wanted to go and pick you up for free also!! (thats the OH getting out of one in the picture on the site!!!)

You could do the garden route and a few vineyards also if there for 3 weeks.

Looks amazing, thats the kinda holiday we're planning- hoping for, luxury all the way. Going to blow the SPS on it. We'll worry about first yr of married life living on beans and toast when we come home.! Time to be booking somewhere soon tho.

Looks amazing, thats the kinda holiday we're planning- hoping for, luxury all the way. Going to blow the SPS on it. We'll worry about first yr of married life living on beans and toast when we come home.! Time to be booking somewhere soon tho.

Thats the job, may as well have one right good holiday anyway:D Make sure to shop around though and haggel with travel agents, we saved a load on the same honeymoon by shopping around and haggling with them, Cowboys Ted!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

In France at the moment. Cool beer at the bar waiting for the game to come on.
    Few days in Disney, one day round Paris and then off a bit further south to a campsite for 2 weeks.

Funny, straight off the ferry and nearly the first thing we saw was a few lads stuck to the axles trying to pick up silage with a SP, jebus were they stuck! The sp was stuck as was a trailor load on way out of field, they had to dump the silage to get out. Looked like torture.
    Weather is nice now, just love France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

just printing off boarding passes car hire voucher etc. for a week in lake garda italy starting next tuesday. cant wait.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

london great for a short break. do the tourist things like the bus tour. if you like the unusual iwould recommend ripleys believe it or not on picadilly circus. went last year and we all loved it(two adults a9y.o and a6y.o.)also i would recommend doing the london eye but go early in the day as queues build up later in the day. i hate heights but it was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 TMSHope

Just wondering for cattle/sheep farmers, how do you manage going away on holiday for a week or two with the wife/girlfriend or the family? Do you have reliable people to look after the stock and check them and move them from one paddock to the next. Is going away a worry leaving the place. I know many farmers that never go on holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

TMSHope wrote: »
    Just wondering for cattle/sheep farmers, how do you manage going away on holiday for a week or two with the wife/girlfriend or the family? Do you have reliable people to look after the stock and check them and move them from one paddock to the next. Is going away a worry leaving the place. I know many farmers that never go on holiday.

Yea.
    Me and the brother partner our few acres so it's no bother. Just set it up and walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Miley2

For me, it takes a lot of organisation and planning that starts well in advance of the hols. I try to plan them for when the silage is cut, cows are all well calved or a good break in calving (3 to calve in August) and good grass in front of them.
    This is usally July (heading off on Tues).
    The ould lad is around which is a huge help. I have all cattle set up so if they need to be moved, he just needs to open the fence to let them into next paddock,
    This year was a nightmare with the weather:mad:. I can only hope I will come back to something resembling a summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Miley2 wrote: »
    For me, it takes a lot of organisation and planning that starts well in advance of the hols. I try to plan them for when the silage is cut, cows are all well calved or a good break in calving (3 to calve in August) and good grass in front of them.
    This is usally July (heading off on Tues).
    The ould lad is around which is a huge help. I have all cattle set up so if they need to be moved, he just needs to open the fence to let them into next paddock,
    This year was a nightmare with the weather:mad:. I can only hope I will come back to something resembling a summer

Resembling a summer ....... Wishful thinking:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Muckit wrote: »
    Nothing is saved by not going on holiday. False economy in my books.

:D

Let me read that again...

:pac: :D
    reilig wrote: »

Three words for you "West End Show". Saw The Lion King a number of years ago, it was fabulous. Hm, there was some market as well but for the life of me I can't think of it's name.

I think I'd prefer to be one of them farmers :D Stuff always happens when I'm gone, which is frustrating as I can only blame myself for not being there. Other than that I ask Dad, but he's getting no younger and I don't like asking anything of him. There are two other people I can ask, who have some chance of knowing one end of a sheep from another, but I can't be taking the pee either. Time of year is critically important.

Takes a bit of forward planning for sure and a very good neighbour and ole lad.

My GF will refuse to go If silage is fit for cutting cos of hassle I had with it/contractor in 2010... Yer man took on too much and weather was closing in and I had a massive phone bill after and an unhappy GF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭nilhg

Going to Kerry next weekend for the ROK cycle and then hopefully post harvest down to Glengarriff for the Rebel Tour.

Hopefully once the crops are sown again in the Autumn the better half will take me away somewhere warm for a week or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Was sking in Poland in December it was a good two weeks.

went to lanzarote had the turkey on the beach on christmas day

back to work after tha not for too long

we spend Easter in Orlando went to Disney, Universal Studio Wet&wild and Busch gardens everybody should go there

I was in Poland at the World Cup it was a bit of a downer

But am on the way to the South of France at the moment,

Just joking back from a week in Lehinch or Lahinch depending on what way you spell it was wet most of the week youngest lad enjoyed it spend three days surfing hoping to go abroad next year.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Everybody needs some sort of holiday or break during the year. Never going on holidays is very bad for your mental health.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

heading for a few days today before i crack with this stupid weather

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

The Algarve in early august, change of scenery & weather, I'm really looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mcgyvor

heading to croatia with family [6 of us] for 9 days in late july early aug .looking forward to getting some heat in my bones;)

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

6 weeks in Thailand, Pool tournament included... Only 64 days to go. 4th September. Happy Days..

Advertisement