Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NG result? :/

• 26-06-2012 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering this,

I decided not to sit the maths exam a few days before the exam, and had told the guy organising the exams and the examiner in the examhall. They both told me that it wouldn't come up as a no grade on the results sheet and it would be okay to do, even though I was registered to sit the exam.

I don't need the subject at all but I'd rather it didn't come up as a NG, but I'm just wondering, did anyone here decide not to sit a subject on the day like last year or something.. and it wasn't recorded on their results or did it come up as a no grade? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

It'll come up as a NG with an asterisk (NG*), and at the back of the form it should say that it was recorded that you did not sit the exam. At least, that's based on my understanding, perhaps they've a way of contacting the SEC and telling them you won't be sitting the exam even after you've registered and all the closing dates for changes to subjects have gone by.

Easiest thing to do for you would be to just send off an email to the SEC themselves and ask. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I think if you don't sit any part of the exam at all it won't show up on your results. You only get an NG for example if you sat say the French oral and got 7/10 (assuming it was 10%) and then didn't do the aural or written part of the exam.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It will not show up on your list of results if you did not complete any component of the exam.

It will be like Ancient Greek, you didn't sit it (er...hopefully) so there will be no information to report on your list of provisional results.

You cannot score NG for an exam you did not sit. The mark NG is for a paper that was submitted and worth between 0 and 10% of marks.

Being registered to sit an exam does not mean it will be on the results, the only subjects to appear are those for which there are some marks to report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

That's my understanding as well, and the two posters immediately above me would be a lot more familiar with that aspect of things.

Advertisement