Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT re-test

Options
  • 26-06-2012 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi,

I took my 2003 BMW 318D for a pre NCT last week at a local garage and it seems I have a few problems with the car. The one major (scary) one is that it failed the emissions check. The sensor gave a reading of roughly 1 over the minimum required level.

My worst fear is that its the turbo leaking oil but I'm going to use BG 44k fuel cleaner the day before the test and drive the car like mad so maybe this will help.

If the car passes the emissions test and I need to do a retest for any other issues will they re-test the emissions the next time as well ? I'm hoping its only checked once if it passes?

Cheers,
    Jack.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Emissions are not a huge deal tbh, it's the thing most cars fail on it has gotten more strict afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭higgins_j

hopefully the fuel cleaner will sort it out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

You broke the number 1 NCT rule, getting a pre-nct.

Pre-ncts always find something wrong that may pass the real nct

Get it NCTd then fix what fails. A retest is only e29.

Edit.

318Diesel? The NCT emmissions test is only a particulate density check on diesels, nothing else.

ya its a diesel. Seemed that it was just over the allowed maximum level in the pre nct so maybe I shouldn't worry too much.

higgins_j wrote: »
    ya its a diesel. Seemed that it was just over the allowed maximum level in the pre nct so maybe I shouldn't worry too much.

What was the emmission test that they said was failing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

mullingar wrote: »
    You broke the number 1 NCT rule, getting a pre-nct.

Pre-ncts always find something wrong that may pass the real nct

Get it NCTd then fix what fails. A retest is only e29.

That makes absolutely no sense.

Get a pre-test: problem identified
    Go straight to NCT: no problem identified

What happens to the problem?

The NCT test as it stands is by no means a guarantee that a car is problem free. The fact it's so inconsistant but presumed by many to be bill of good health is worrying.

Sorry yes its emissions. I apologize for my poor English as its not my first language.

Getting a pre-nct.
    It may cost a little for the test but they will find something wrong that the nct will pass as ghey are on commission. Eg emissions. So possibly a few hundred € spent needlessly

No pre-nct.
    it's the best car test for your money. It's the only regulatory test. The testers are not on commission. A retest is only €28.

It's foolish doing any pre-nct.

Advertisement