Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to back terrace - problems?

Options
  • 26-06-2012 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭

Vaguely looking at a property which is a (late 1990s) back to back terrace development. Which I didn't think had been built as a type after about 1850!

Other than the obvious issues - no back garden, no fire exit, potential noise transfer from up to 5 neighbours - are there any other specific problems with these kind of units?

Main concerns would be insurance (more places for a fire to spread from), responsibility of upkeep of the extremely shared roof/guttering, or whether a mortgage would even be possible to get on one.

Would be looking for about 70% of 100k on a 40k basic salary so I hope the only reason for refusal would be down to a property the bank doesn't want the risk from.

Area is nice, parking is decent and I have absolutely no need for a bigger house but something seems to be telling me to stay well away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

MYOB wrote: »
    Vaguely looking at a property which is a (late 1990s) back to back terrace development. Which I didn't think had been built as a type after about 1850!

Other than the obvious issues - no back garden, no fire exit, potential noise transfer from up to 5 neighbours - are there any other specific problems with these kind of units?

Main concerns would be insurance (more places for a fire to spread from), responsibility of upkeep of the extremely shared roof/guttering, or whether a mortgage would even be possible to get on one.

Would be looking for about 70% of 100k on a 40k basic salary so I hope the only reason for refusal would be down to a property the bank doesn't want the risk from.

Area is nice, parking is decent and I have absolutely no need for a bigger house but something seems to be telling me to stay well away.

Given this type of housing and the date of development I would imagine that antisocial behavior will be a serious problem in the very near future, as those born in the late 90's reach their teenage years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Wow, I didnt know these were built if I'm visualising it correctly, even the Victorian ones are only back to back because people built over their small yards.
    So you only have windows on one side? Make sure the orientation is ok, if your front faces north you will be in perpetual gloominess.

I imagine a bank will view it like an apartment and you may have problems getting a loan, even at 70%.

Is it leasehold with a management company?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

Hi OP,
    Can you just lay it out for me - back to back tce.....
    How far from the rear elevation to the rear elevation of the adjacent tce ? -
    Yard size ( approx. ) ?
    - Is there an 'entry' or ally dividing the two tce's ?

If like still waters I'm visualizing it correctly, I'd be running a mile from a purchase of this type, people only live on top of each other if they are forced to. It would be like flat sharing with out control over those you share with.
    mike F

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its physically joined to the terrace behind - best way might be to describe it as a freehold own door duplex apartment (with none below or above) rather than a "house" actually.

The one I'm looking at specifically is end of terrace so does have windows on two sides; the others do not

The agent seems to think its worth a lot more than I do, or the asking at the time of sale of another one, so I'm likely not going anywhere on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I see, yeah it's really more like an own door apartment.

What about bins? The freehold on that roof could prove very troublesome. I think your instinct is probably right to stay away.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

100 % in agreement with Still waters on this one,
    - I'd stay away, simply because it sounds like a house price tag for what is for all intensive purpose 'Apartment style' living quarters. Own door or not.

Current Buyers market should offer up more options for local and your requirements if you keep searching.
    Regards,
    Mike f;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What about bins?

Live outside the front door like I do in my current normal terrace :pac:

Shall steer clear. Limited enough area I want to live in so there's not a huge amount that I could afford on 15 year mortgage - and I'm not sure I want to commit to 20 years tied to a potentially still depreciating asset.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I lived in that type of house for two years. A modern development but the noise between houses was terrible. You'd hear noises from the 5 houses touching you. The two beside you, the one behind you and the two beside the one behind you! Glad youve changed your mind about it

Advertisement