Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wok type?

Options
  • 26-06-2012 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of delving into trying some chinese dishes, Is there a differance between woks, what would you reccommend?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Cheap cast steel one, get them in any asian shops in Dublin. Don't bother with anything aluminium or non stick.

Just remember to look after it properly. Season it well first and wipe it down with a light skim of oil after every use.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

What do people mean when they say "Season it well". :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Guill wrote: »
    What do people mean when they say "Season it well". :o

there are a few methods, basically u burn oil onto it repetitively, google it for a good description.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Just head to your nearest asian shop and get a cheap one. Wash the wok, heat it up until any remaining liquid evaporates, rub in vegetable oil, heat until smoking, lower the heat and leave it on low heat until colour darkens.

• Advertisement

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Just head to your nearest asian shop and get a cheap one. Wash the wok, heat it up until any remaining liquid evaporates, rub in vegetable oil, heat until smoking, lower the heat and leave it on low heat until colour darkens.

Is that it or do you repeat regularly?

Guill wrote: »
    Is that it or do you repeat regularly?

I've only done it once to mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

You only need to season the wok once, Follow mmcn90's instructions. Others add chives with the hot oil and stir it around til the surface of the wok darkens.

Also, if you have an electric/ceramic hot plate, it's best to buy a wok with flat bottom. Whereas a round bottom one suits any gas stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I saw lots of round based ones in oriental emporium on georges street in dublin city centre just the other day. Not sure of the price but I expect it would be reasonable -if their food prices were anything to go by.

Left the place after spending €22 with loads of stuff, probably would have been €100+ for the quantities I got if bought in tesco. You might get more than you want though e.g. they had weighed out bags of bayleaves, the smallest one was 90cent, but in tesco it is 1.70 or so for a a miserable few leaves, this bag had loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Not to drag this thread back, but a bought a very, very cheap min-wok in Aldi and I was heating it for a stir-fry (the size is pretty good for a gas btw) and I noticed silver scars at the side and a plasticy smell.
    I'm pretty sure I made the right decision not to cook in it:P But I was wondering do I have to throw it away, or can I get rid of the non-stick coating or use it for deep-frying?
    Um, I don't think this is health but I'll delete the question if the Mods think it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Plastic coating you were supposed to remove before cooking, perhaps :confused::confused:

Did you season it first as shown above? You'll get a weird smell first time, as with most manufactured products. (Give it a good wash first as well.

Did you season it first as shown above? You'll get a weird smell first time, as with most manufactured products. (Give it a good wash first as well.

Are you meant to season a non-stick? And it has a plastic coating:O

A non stick wok?

A non stick wok?

Yeah. I think it started to degrade under the heat, strange smell and silver scars at the sides of the inside, but I was wondering a) could I remove the non-stick (sorry if this sounds stupid) and turn it into a non-non stick or B) could I still use it for everything else but stir frying?

The silver marks sounds as if some of the non stick has scraped off. Tbh I'd go to an Asian Supermarket and pick up a cheap wok for next to nothing, better in the long run

The silver marks sounds as if some of the non stick has scraped off. Tbh I'd go to an Asian Supermarket and pick up a cheap wok for next to nothing, better in the long run

Hmm, maybe I will. Thanks. We're skirting dangerously close to health advice, but do you think I could still use it for deep frying/boiling?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Throw it out. An uneven surface will give you uneven heat. A wok isn't the most stable device for boiling or deep frying- you should never fill it more than half way for instance. Plus if the non-stick coating is degrading you'll start to find black flecks in your food. I'd chuck it.

I have three carbon steel woks that I have heavily seasoned which I use on whatever hob is in the house I'm living in (I move around a bit). They're best on gas (especially if you have a specific wok burner on your hob), but they're flat bottomed so they work on everything. I have one large non-stick double handle wok - I like it for making sauces like stroganoff, or for making chili, neither of which require the constant high heat that stirfrying needs.

• Administrators Posts: 53,853 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

How much would you expect to pay for a wok in an Asian store? Just a half decent cheap one?

I think I paid less than €20 quid (a good bit less), thats 5/6 years ago and gets used about 4 times a week no bother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Is the Asian shop beside Jervis Luas stop any good. It's the only one I might pass every now and again, unless anyone knows one around Naas/Newbridge/Carlow area. Cheers

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Is the Asian shop beside Jervis Luas stop any good. It's the only one I might pass every now and again, unless anyone knows one around Naas/Newbridge/Carlow area. Cheers

Its quite good. If you can get as far as Drury Street, there is an excellent market there

Well that's 6 euro down the drain:( Threw some carrots in it and the became blackened with non-stick within seconds:O It wasn't burned as it was a grainy sort of thing.
    Still, foods food :pac:

I'll use a skillet for the time being:P

Advertisement