Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Organic Chemistry research with a medical degree?

Options
  • 26-06-2012 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Would a medical degree (as in being a doctor) be any help if you want to do chemical research for a pharmaceutical company or is it best to get a PhD in chemistry or something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

If you want to do the actual chemistry research, you will need a background in chemistry, not medicine. If you get a medical degree you will still be able to contribute to pharm research, usually in the clinical trials area. Such positions are rare, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭35cent

Yeah I thought so. A friend of mine thought a doctor could go into chemistry research so I thought I would ask someone else.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

There's nothing to stop them applying for a PhD in chemistry (or even a Masters to begin with). Industry probably wont take them straight in, but if you found a suitable project you could build up your chemistry skills and take your additional medical skills and be a nice mix of skills.

Advertisement