Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indesign to ePub - Urgent help needed!

Options
  • 26-06-2012 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi,

Can anyone help with an epub conversion problem please?

After almost a week formatting and reformatting an indesign cs5 book for epub conversion - when I export the book to epub and open it in Calibre, most of the body text converts to ALL CAPS. I've gone through the Indesign file with a fine tooth comb, all character and paragraph styles are set to normal, (no caps!). I can't find a solution to this problem on any of the forums I've searched through.

I could really do with some help please from someone who's familiar with indesign to epub conversions.

Pulling my hair out at this stage and the clock is ticking!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

from what i read there are problems converting from indesign you would be probably better converting from another program.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 One Flew Over

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'll give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 daraclare

I would recommend using InDesign but they'll always be issues going from print to ePub.
    There's a really good tutorial on Lynda.com - it explains a lot about what can go wrong with ePub through InDesign and how to fix it. You have to pay for Lynda.com but normally you can find a free trial for a week or 2, it's not crazy expensive for 1 month either.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice daraclare,

I'll go through the tutorials on Linda, it probably something simple, it's just finding it that's the problem!

With appreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 daraclare

Apparently, it may be because the original text was caps and a style was added in InDesign to remove this. When you created the ePub it ignored the InDesign formatting and went back to the original text formatting. Have you looked at your style sheet? Maybe you could change something there to change it to sentence case?

• Advertisement

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me find a solution. I thought the problem lay somewhere in the style sheets, so I checked through the character and paragraph styles just in case I had accidently applied All Caps and, I also used the find and change option throughout the whole book but no caps where found in the body text. The headings and sub-heading are All Caps but for those I used an All caps font. It's so frustrating!

Many thanks.

Advertisement