Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is your favourite Away Day?

• 26-06-2012 11:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

I find that Away Days are often the most fun. Not only is it a day out/road trip/overnighter but it seems to be that the hardcore support go the extra mile (literally!), which results in a great atmosphere.

So simple question. What is your favourite away fixture when it comes to your club? Which gives you the biggest buzz to attend or watch? What little quirks or unique qualities make it the one you look forward to more so than any other?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I'm very much looking forward to the Rangers support invading Hampden next season....for a league match against Queen's Park. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Sligo, probably because its new to me and its the sort of away you'll always make a weekend out of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Bray. Its like a cold holiday to Santa Ponsa :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Used to love going to Pats away years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Going to Slovakia in three weeks time so that'll probably be the best trip this season..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Blackburn, Although I heard they got rid of the pub beside the ground where they used to let all the away fans drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Richmond Park.

Whatever it is about the place.

I can count on one hand the amount of times we won there(when i was present) but it has something that gets a hold of me when I come in the gates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Richmond Park.

Whatever it is about the place.

I can count on one hand the amount of times we won there(when i was present) but it has something that gets a hold of me when I come in the gates.
    Probably the heroin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Sligo at the Showgrounds. I love that trip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Trip - Sligo or Drogheda
    Game - away to Rovers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭edolan

Drogheda or Bohs. Our last trip to Harps was probably the game I enjoyed the most in Ireland. European away games are a different gravy though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Dalymount.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I do enjoy Richmond park, the shed is great craic

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Dalyer. Have a soft spot for Bray too and Sligo is always a good trip.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Atmosphere: Riverside/Tolka

Best place to win: Inchicore.

Travel: Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Cork, because I know three or four of their supporters well enough to go on the lash with, and one of them usually puts me up for the night. And when we beat them it's even better.

Irish football fan on the lash at away game shocker. :pac:

Worse, for me, is Richer. I hate the stand. I hate the smell around the place, I hate dreamerz75.

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭KnowYourEnemy

Millwall.

Love a bubble game

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

RasTa wrote: »
    Blackburn, Although I heard they got rid of the pub beside the ground where they used to let all the away fans drink.

+1

Great trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Really enjoyed the atmosphere at Brandywell when I was there a few years back for the League Cup (even though Shels lost on penos).

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the atmosphere at Brandywell when I was there a few years back for the League Cup (even though Shels lost on penos).

Get to many aways in the A-League? short enough trips really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Des wrote: »
    Get to many aways in the A-League? short enough trips really.

Did two Glory away games last season - Melbourne Heart for the regular season and Brisbane Roar for the Grand Final :(

Also went to games in Sydney, Adelaide and on the Gold Coast (twice) but they were as a neutral.

Cost me a fortune so won't be doing many this year, if any at all, though I will do Wellington at some point.

Wellington is a pretty shít city tbh, if you do go over to NZ, get down to the South Island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Bring back Drom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Cork is always a great trip, proper football ground and generally a good crowd at the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Never been to a LOI away fixture but I've been to Dalymount a load of times and the Carlisle grounds alot when I was younger.

Following Everton, Wigan is always great, we usually outnumber the home fans and in London, Craven Cottage is good.

Poznan wasn't too bad either :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Millwo' in the fakkin' cup.

Millwo' in the fakkin' cup.

Top call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Des wrote: »
    Wellington is a pretty shít city tbh, if you do go over to NZ, get down to the South Island.
    Crazy talk, welly is great.

Dalyer. That ground is stitched into my soul. Richmond park a close second

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Cork is excellent, but have never been to sligo and looks like a great place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Despite the area looking like a scene from Mad Max: Celtic.

This is what derby games are all about, sheer and unadulterated hatred for each other.

The moment you step in you feel the hate washing over you.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Despite the area looking like a scene from Mad Max: Celtic.

This is what derby games are all about, sheer and unadulterated hatred for each other.

The moment you step in you feel the hate washing over you.

Pity you won't have it any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

I like the UCD bowl, nice and comfy, fúckin hate Bray coldest kip on the Planet.

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

born2bwild wrote: »
    Bring back Drom.

"Can the Shelbourne supporters please come back into the stadium from the hill behind the goal". It was an epic last away trip in the 1st Division.

St.Colmans Park for me I'd have to say, nice closed stadium, away end was decent and there used to be a good atmosphere all round. I'd say

Sligo would have been up there, but my first visit (this season) wasn't something to write, don't think I've ever been so glad seeing some lad from Mullingar, his son and a bus tyre in my life. Always liked Station Rd too for some reason.

On the other hand, I f*cking hate Harps! Don't think Donegal realises summer football means it's meant to be not as bad as winter!

Where are all the Man Utd and Liverpool fans btw? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Best: Dalymount/Oriel/Richmond/Tallaght/United Park
    Worst: Monaghan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Where are all the Man Utd and Liverpool fans btw? :)

Now now, play nice Gavin. I'm suprised at you. :p

Besides, aren't all their games away days?!

• Advertisement

Pity this thread was doing so well.................

Ah chill out Kew, was only a joke pal. I'd love to here from fans of all leagues for different points of view to be honest. What's your biggest away day in the SPL outside of Hearts? And what's your least favourite?

PS- I've only ever been to two Ireland games in my life and both were away, Cyprus and Poznan. But I'm still one of the Best Fans In The World dammit :D

22965_Crying_Gypsie_Boy_f.jpg

Omackeral wrote: »
    Ah chill out Kew, was only a joke pal. I'd love to here from fans of all leagues for different points of view to be honest. What's your biggest away day in the SPL outside of Hearts? And what's your least favourite?

PS- I've only ever been to two Ireland games in my life and both were away, Cyprus and Poznan. But I'm still one of the Best Fans In The World dammit :D

I forgot to put one of these:pac: at end of my last comment.

In Scotland it would be Aberdeen great craic going there. Least would be Inverness. A Cold freaking spot even for the Scots. Nice Stadium, just not place to be on cold day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Wigan - Reasonably priced tickets, we get a huge allocation and have a good record down there too.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    Wigan - Reasonably priced tickets, we get a huge allocation and have a good record down there too.

Have you ever been to Newcastle v Sunderland game Paully?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Was Galway and Finn Harps, but it'll be a while before either of them come around again.

Now now, play nice Gavin. I'm suprised at you. :p

Besides, aren't all their games away days?!

BTW what is yours?(or did I miss it)

Surely Cork!!:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Have you ever been to Newcastle v Sunderland game Paully?

I've not been to a derby at their place mate, but you'd need a pair of binoculars to see the action from the away seats anyway:

photo6.jpg

Paully D wrote: »
    I've not been to a derby at their place mate, but you'd need a pair of binoculars to see the action from the away seats anyway:

Only been there once and that happened to be when they were playing Blackburn in May 2007. Blackburn won 2-0, remember Owen having a horrible game.

Was to the right of that photo just in front of Rovers fans. The Newcastle fans are off the wall. I remember a lad behind us taking off his shirt and singing some song he was no more then 10. Another guy been restrained by stewards as he was going nuts about the performance of the team, but funniest was when a guy stood up and shouted just before half time "Thats it, you can stuff your season ticket, im off to watch Gateshead"

My mate who not footie fan thought was best funniest thing ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Bray is great, love that trip. I hope Longford come up next year, I think I would love that trip too.

For HSV it would have to be Hannover.

BTW what is yours?(or did I miss it)

Surely Cork!!:D

Have to say Richmond Park, it does be bouncing behind the goal. Love being a member of the SEI for the night ;)

My favourite away day ever though was Derry City in the FAI Cup Final at the RDS. We beat them on penos after a 2-2 draw. Fair play to the Candystripes, they travel very well.

Tallaght Stadium is a motherfu**er for us. Absolute chore at this stage ha. We're yet to get 3points out there but we did win the Setanta Cup there before the hoops won a trophy,which was nice.

Used to love the trip to the Flansiro in Longford. Might be seeing a bit more of it next season. Galway was a deadly trip also but its to be no more.... for now

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

Game; Rovers

Trip: Drogheda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    I hope Longford come up next year, I think I would love that trip too.

Used to love the trip to the Flansiro in Longford. Might be seeing a bit more of it next season.

I used to like Longford away until the guards and stewards started getting all OTT, at the first few matches down there in the First Division they didn't mind were we stood in Flancare, then gradually it started becoming a problem and we'd be segregated, iirc the last match we played there they have us on the corner of the terrace, few hundred Shels and one poxy toliet!

• Advertisement
Advertisement