Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

subletting/deposit help

Options
  • 27-06-2012 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

So I moved into a house ages ago whereby the license holder was subletting to me. Upon moving in I gave 1 months rent and a month extra as a deposit and signed no contract.

I decided this month would be my last in the house and told my roommates I would be moving out next month (gave them 4 weeks notice). Since then I have been spending very little time in the house but two weeks later I went up and my roommate told me I was two weeks late on the rent and they wanted in to which I replied that they could use my deposit unless they had another reason to take it off me. I was told he wanted the money and we would talk about the deposit next month. He also told me I owed for bills (which I had no problem paying) and costs of installing new internet which I am not going to be using, but as a courtesy I paid this as I realised they didn't know I was moving out when they installed it.

Now I have moved all of my stuff out and I keep getting texts looking for the rent, he hasn't put the room on daft yet so I don't trust them giving my deposit back next week if I paid the rent this week. Unless he thought I was giving them 8 weeks notice and moved all my stuff out for the craic I have no idea?

Any advice boards? Would you pay up without a contract and expect it back 7 days later?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I would block his number from your phone and let that be an end to it, subletting is never a good idea, tenants are not landlords and even though you can find rubbish landlords, tenants who act as one are even worse.

You did all you had to do, so its now up to that tenant to deal with whatever mess he has created, if he spent your deposit then he needs to find it and pay the rent its not your issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

So I moved into a house ages ago
    How long have you been living in the house - years? months?
    whereby the license holder was subletting to me. Upon moving in I gave 1 months rent and a month extra as a deposit and signed no contract.
    Subletting is when the original tenant moves out and you move in to replace him. However, you pay your rent to the out-going tenant who retains his lease agreement with the landlord.

What do you mean by "the licence holder". A tenant does not live in the same house as the landlord; a licensee lives with the landlord in his house and they share facilities.
    Does this person have a lease agreement with the landlord?
    Does this person have a lease agreement for the whole house (possibly with other people) or just for a room in the house with shared facilities and the rent is collected by the landlord as a single rent payment?
    With whom did you make the agreement and pay your 1 month's rent and deposit to?

The fact that you did not sign any contract is irrelevant - a renting contract can be verbal.
    I decided this month would be my last in the house and told my roommates I would be moving out next month (gave them 4 weeks notice). Since then I have been spending very little time in the house but two weeks later I went up and my roommate told me I was two weeks late on the rent and they wanted in to which I replied that they could use my deposit unless they had another reason to take it off me.
    When you say "roommate", are you sharing a room with another person or do you mean housemate?
    I was told he wanted the money and we would talk about the deposit next month. He also told me I owed for bills (which I had no problem paying) and costs of installing new internet which I am not going to be using, but as a courtesy I paid this as I realised they didn't know I was moving out when they installed it.

Now I have moved all of my stuff out and I keep getting texts looking for the rent, he hasn't put the room on daft yet so I don't trust them giving my deposit back next week if I paid the rent this week. Unless he thought I was giving them 8 weeks notice and moved all my stuff out for the craic I have no idea?

Any advice boards? Would you pay up without a contract and expect it back 7 days later?
    I don't exactly understand the time scale and periods from your information - can you be more precise.

Advertisement