Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whisper readings ( Suffer with insomnia or anxiety/Panic? )

• 27-06-2012 12:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever come across this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdaUpgFL3LI

It may seem weird but I dare ya to sit and see how long you can last without dozing off haha. I think it is a good thing for those who suffer from insomnia or have anxiety/panic attacks.

Apparently whispering releases ASMR or something like that in the brain which relaxes you and calms you down and this whispering thing is actually a community. first time I ever came across it to be honest.

What says you boardies?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

What says you boardies?

SPEAK UP YOU SILLLY BINT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    SPEAK UP YOU SILLLY BINT!

Calm down, relax. Let the whispering take you on a journey to the land of zzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

No thanks, all i could concentrate on listening to that was the little clicks of saliva in her voice, its weird and distracting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭yellowtrout

Can't believe you brought this up..I recently discovered ASMR/whispering videos and strangely I too find them really relaxing.
    There's a really good selection of videos by GentleWhispering on Youtube-she's one of the best.
    I know a lot of people will knock it, but I suggest anyone who's finding it hard to nod off should give it a go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

tempura wrote: »
    No thanks, all i could concentrate on listening to that was the little clicks of saliva in her voice, its weird and distracting.

yeah this is due to most of them having the signal on the audio interface turned all the way up. But I find reducing the volume on your PC to a comfortable position would cure that. Cant say the clicks annoy me though. You hear that when people whisper to you anyway I would say. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

hmmm... Having alot of trouble sleeping lately, so might give this a go! Can't really leave on my laptop overnight though, so will have to stick it on my phone.

Do feel like a bit of a creep listening to it though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Took me about 4 seconds before I started thinking 'loada bollocks'.

Dave! wrote: »
    hmmm... Having alot of trouble sleeping lately, so might give this a go! Can't really leave on my laptop overnight though, so will have to stick it on my phone.

Do feel like a bit of a creep listening to it though...

I felt like a creep listening to it to. I guess it's because it was different or unusual but I stuck with it to see if I'd fall asleep. ten minutes later I woke up on the couch and was like........:eek::eek::eek: it works!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Took me about 4 seconds before I started thinking 'loada bollocks'.
    You got further than me. I read the OP and thought the same thing.

Can't believe you brought this up..I recently discovered ASMR/whispering videos and strangely I too find them really relaxing.
    There's a really good selection of videos by GentleWhispering on Youtube-she's one of the best.
    I know a lot of people will knock it, but I suggest anyone who's finding it hard to nod off should give it a go!

Have you ever noticed though that there are no men that do the whispering? I found one fella that did it but thats it and even in his video he said it's all women doing it. Must be something to do with the difference in tone of voices or something maybe? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I have fallen asleep a few times using them. I have a touch of insomnia sometimes. I'm surprised this is being posted about.

I have tried binaural beats too. Some work ok but it's as much to do with the ambient music being played over the actual binaural sound. It's pure nonsense that they would do anything other than maybe chill you out.
    The whispers work better.

Shryke wrote: »
    I have fallen asleep a few times using them. I have a touch of insomnia sometimes. I'm surprised this is being posted about.

I have tried binaural beats too. Some work ok but it's as much to do with the ambient music being played over the actual binaural sound. It's pure nonsense that they would do anything other than maybe chill you out.
    The whispers work better.

I know!!! and at this time of night? you'd think I'd be asleep already :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

She certainly has a good bit of time on her hands anyway ...

It kinda creeped me out a little bit when I had it playing in the background for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I have insomnia and anxiety - but, I also have add, and what comes with that for me is a sensory processing disorder in which I have tactile defensiveness, can't stand most sounds or too much noise, and become overwhelmed by too much external stimuli.
    Point being - that fucking hurt!
    I couldn't handle more than about 15 seconds of that awful sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

The noise levels and clicks need work, but if it were done better I imagine it could well be relaxing to listen to. It reminded me of when our dad used to make up bedtime stories and whisper them to us to get us to sleep. I enjoyed listening to the video because of that, and fell asleep within about fifteen minutes, though whether that was because of the video or whether I would have fallen asleep anyway, I am not sure.

Ficheall wrote: »
    The noise levels and clicks need work, but if it were done better I imagine it could well be relaxing to listen to. It reminded me of when our dad used to make up bedtime stories and whisper them to us to get us to sleep. I enjoyed listening to the video because of that, and fell asleep within about fifteen minutes, though whether that was because of the video or whether I would have fallen asleep anyway, I am not sure.

If it only took you 15 mins to nod off I'd say it was the whisper video.

By the way ( to another poster ) I checked out the gentle whisper you are talking about. She was grand up until one of her mad freakish videos where she is looking into the camera saying ''What lovely eyes you have '' that freaked me out something serious so I dont think I'll be listening to her in future. A more sane whisperer is what I'm after. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Is this Woman the little small Medium that was in that Movie Poltergeist

http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/poltergeist.asp

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭yellowtrout

Have you ever noticed though that there are no men that do the whispering? I found one fella that did it but thats it and even in his video he said it's all women doing it. Must be something to do with the difference in tone of voices or something maybe? :confused:

Is the guy you mentioned "ironmonkey007"?
    I absolutely love his videos, even though he's only done a couple.
    I did notice it's mainly women.
    Regarding GentleWhispering, I agree some of her vids are a bit weird but I've found a couple that are good.
    Also you should check out "percussivethoughts"...see what you think of her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

My telly is blaring in the background so I'm finding it hard to hear her....Is she gonna read Harry Potter to me??

Lucyfur wrote: »
    My telly is blaring in the background so I'm finding it hard to hear her....Is she gonna read Harry Potter to me??

You are supposed to listen in a late night quiet setting without any other noise in order to get any benefit from it. But no philospher stone she reads has nothing to do with HP.

Thanks yellow trout will check that out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

You are supposed to listen in a late night quiet setting without any other noise in order to get any benefit from it. But no philospher stone she reads has nothing to do with HP.

Thanks yellow trout will check that out.

*whispers*

I was being sarcastic

Advertisement