Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New law to ban smoking in cars where children are present

• 27-06-2012 12:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭

Rte article:
    Minister for Health James Reilly was given the go-ahead to draw up amendments to a Seanad Private Members Bill on the issue.
    The Bill, introduced by Senators John Crown, Jillian van Turnhout and Mark Daly, advocated a ban on all smoking in cars when children are in the vehicle.

Now, its a given that a parent shouldnt smoke in closed spaces around a child. Thats wrong. I'm a smoker and I agree to that.

But I can't help but feel there is a little bullsh*t going on with regards to smoking and the government. On one hand, the smoking ban in pubs, talks about no smoking in public parks and now this. Alot of anti-smoking stances.

But on the other hand they will never ban smoking outright as it generates too much money in tax. So where are the govenment going with smoking?
    Alot of laws in regards to it. But yet, wont ban it outright :confused:

Do you agree with a smoking ban in cars, when children are present? 136 votes

I agree with this ban
    0% 0 votes
    I do not agree with this ban
    75% 102 votes
    I'm like whatever dude
    16% 23 votes
    Atari ban
    8% 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Smoke in the smoking area or your own house or in an open space. I don't want to sit in your smoke, and you shouldn't want children to sit in your smoke either.

/thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Smoke away from children, and non-smokers in general. It goes without saying.

(I say that as a smoker)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Smoke in the smoking area or your own house or in an open space. I don't want to sit in your smoke, and you shouldn't want children to sit in your smoke either.

/thread

With the suggested no smoking in public parks law, which personally I dont mind, will open a flood gate however.

A park is open space. So is a street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

But I can't help but feel there is a little bullsh*t going on with regards to smoking and the government. On one hand, the smoking ban in pubs, talks about no smoking in public parks and now this. Alot of anti-smoking stances.

But on the other hand they will never ban smoking outright as it generates too much money in tax. So where are the govenment going with smoking?
    A politician couldn't give a shit if people smoke or not.
    But if they can make a name for themselves by forcefully taking a stance..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

The tax from cigarettes doesn't all go straight into someone's pocket. The butts need to be cleaned up, and don't forget all the people who need to be treated for smoking related illnesses.

Taxing cigarettes heavily is mostly a way of the government claiming back dole money.
    With the suggested no smoking in public parks law, which personally I dont mind, will open a flood gate however.

I agree. it is an open space. people should be able to smoke there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Why exactly should a child's lungs be damaged as a result of their parent's smoking habit? A car is a highly enclosed space so it would in effect be far more damaging than that of the average pub when smoking was allowed. It's just unfortunate that some parents aren't responsible enough to realise this on their own. I know it is a minority of smokers that would do it around their children.

I don't agree with all out banning of substances though. You'll just create a black market which could be far more dangerous... Basically what has happened with most drugs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Taxing cigarettes heavily is mostly a way of the government claiming back dole money.
    It also creates the bootleg market and God knows what toxic chemicals are used in these consignments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Today's obese children need more exercise. This new law forcing them to walk everywhere will be excellent for their health and relieve the strain on the health services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Today's obese children need more exercise. This new law forcing them to walk everywhere will be excellent for their health and relieve the strain on the health services.

The kids could just take up smoking....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

/thread

Then get the **** outta my car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

The reason for this law being forced is because a lot of smokers haven't got two neurons to rub together. Common sense is not integrated into some people and therefore they need to be forced to stop smoking in an enclosed area in a vehicle when kids are there.

Now, banning smoking in open places is another thing and I don't support that but I do support a ban on smoking with children in a vehicle and don't say to me that you open the window to let the smoke out because that's a lazy and pathetic argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

brummytom wrote: »
    Smoke away from children, and non-smokers in general. It goes without saying.

(I say that as a smoker)

This.

Legislating politeness and commonsense really bugs me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

If you smoke in the car with your kinds in it, you'll surely do the same at home, so why not ban it there too, why not ban parents from smoking while we're at it...

Although in theory it's a sound idea, it doesn't really work or make sense in practice. Why are only cars being targeted?
    And who is going to enforce it since AGS barely enforce any road laws as it stands...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

I don't mind being segregated as a smoker, into a smoking area, although they could be more enclosed in the winter. Other than that, I have no issue with the 'no smoking in cars with children present' proposal.
    The butts need to be cleaned up, and don't forget all the people who need to be treated for smoking related illnesses

Smoking related illnesses in the future, are going to account for but a fraction of the revenue, we will have to spend on our currently ticking diabetes time bomb. I'd like to see tougher laws on the potential causes of this problem brought in right now, instead of sticking a band aid on it on 20 yrs.

Is it actually public health we're concerned about here ? or is this just more reactionary pandering to the beguiling yelping of anti-smoking nazis ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

What really pisses me off is c*unts who stand in door ways of bars/shops/buildings smoking meaning I have to walk through their filth and smell the gomey ***** while entering and passing those doorways. **** off into the beer garden where you belong.

If you smoke in the car with your kinds in it, you'll surely do the same at home, so why not ban it there too, why not ban parents from smoking while we're at it...

Although in theory it's a sound idea, it doesn't really work or make sense in practice. Why are only cars being targeted?
    And who is going to enforce it since AGS barely enforce any road laws as it stands...

Well we all know you can't ban people from smoking in their own homes but monthly education newsletters sent into every home i would say would make common sense sink in to some people/parents but do we have the money to print this information out every month ? eventually people will read it and hopefully cop on. But there are a lot of people out there that don't give a rats arse and nothing can make them think or change their habits while around kids. I can tell you i tried to give them up many a time but i know the health effects of smoking as i'm feeling it now since the last 3 months. Getting older now and it's crap so will be going off them again soon, or die trying.

Seaneh wrote: »
    What really pisses me off is c*unts who stand in door ways of bars/shops/buildings smoking meaning I have to walk through their filth and smell the gomey ***** while entering and passing those doorways. **** off into the beer garden where you belong.

and off back inside the pub, out of the beer garden, on a sunny day, where you belong, right ?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

They will never outright ban smoking. They make so much of the dole money back from it. Also smoking is jut disgusting

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Also smoking is jut disgusting

As a smoker, I agree, It's addictive and habit forming, but persecuting addicts, and ripping them off, is not the way forward, imo.

*lights up

• Advertisement

marcsignal wrote: »
    As a smoker, I agree, It's addictive and habit forming, but persecuting addicts, and ripping them off, is not the way forward, imo.

*lights up

I don't think we are being persecuted but we are most definitely getting ripped off and the government knows that know matter how much they raise the price of cigarettes people will still smoke but will purchase them on the black market.

But this is about the kids and their well-being and I agree with this law because the idiot people that harm their own children smoking around them need to be fined or kicked in the balls or other parts to get them to cop the hell on. Of course the common sense smokers that would never smoke near a child will feel pressure out and about in parks or public places and frowned upon but this particular law is necessary for the well-being of the little folk.

I heard it before...Ah the smoke won't kill them ffs it's only a bit of smoke, but this is the part that some people don't understand, it could kill them after years of being exposed to this while they are still developing inside.

Anyway if you are a smoker and usually smoke when your kids are with you in the car/van then just think about it and look forward to a cigarette when you drop the kids off and they are out of the car. It's not because the law is saying so, it's because it's the right thing to do if you love your kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Ireland is a fairly small island and now that we have motorways, very few car trips take longer than an hour. That isn't a very long time to do without a nicotine fix, and even if the trip is longer, it's no big deal to stop along the way and get out for a smoke. People who are so selfish and pig-ignorant that they will expose small children to tobacco smoke in cars should never have had children in the first place.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Workers are protected. Smoking is not allowed in the workplace.

Why wouldn't children be protected from smoke?

• Site Banned Posts: 46 one4on

Rte article:

Now, its a given that a parent shouldnt smoke in closed spaces around a child. Thats wrong. I'm a smoker and I agree to that.

It's about time too. If it's illegal to smoke in a pub where patrons can choose to go or not to go it should be illegal to smoke in a car where the child has no choice but to be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

no they need to stop eating sh*t food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I would rather see the money going to protect children more, so I'm still not listening to abuse stories in another 20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Damn right you shouldn't be allowed smoke in public places.

I'm sick of bringing my child to the playground only to find the odour of smoke from some stupid **** filling the air.
    In some countries you're not allowed smoke at bus stops or train stations.
    Food for thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

In some countries you're not allowed smoke at bus stops or train stations.
    Food for thought.
    Already in effect at most train stations. It's just ignored for the open air railway stations.

=-=

As a smoker, I support the ban of smoking in a car with kids in it, as being in the car for prolonged time with a smoker will make you addicted to the smokes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Pherekydes wrote: »

Why wouldn't children be protected from smoke?

how does this law do this though, you spend what, maybe 5% on average of the day max in the car? What about the rest of the time, how much time is spent in the home in comparison?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

how does this law do this though, you spend what, maybe 5% on average of the day max in the car? What about the rest of the time, how much time is spent in the home in comparison?

I agree. I think smoking in the presence of children should be banned. In cars, kids are enclosed and captive. They can't move to another room. It's a small step on the way to protecting children.

the_syco wrote: »
    Already in effect at most train stations. It's just ignored for the open air railway stations.

Really?
    I'm susrprised at that. Don't think I've ever seen No Smoking signs at open air train stations. Have seen plenty of ash trays in them mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

soon we will be confined to sitting in a 3x3 metre box with a little chair inside, with a sign saying smoking allowed

note* this box will be in our house

saiint wrote: »
    soon we will be confined to sitting in a 3x3 metre box with a little chair inside, with a sign saying smoking allowed

note* this box will be in our house
    And risk your spouse and children breathing your smoke? Will this box be ventilated?

GTFO!

And risk your spouse and children breathing your smoke? Will this box be ventilated?

GTFO!

my "spouse" smokes and i dont have a child
    so their is no risk :)

i hate children
    their all the devils children anyway :D
    ANTI-LIFE!!!

saiint wrote: »
    my "spouse" smokes and i dont have a child
    so their is no risk :)

i hate children
    their all the devils children anyway :D
    ANTI-LIFE!!!

Yeah well nobody said you were allowed to have a chair in your box!
    Stand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

My thoughts exactly. While smoking in a car with a child is clearly not a good thing to be doing, a law against it is pretty pointless. Some will ignore it as it obviously wont be enforced, and others will want a smoke and abandon the car wherever they want.

The amount of times I have been driving behind someone and BAM! HIT THE BRAKES! Looks like a kid has run out in front of them, or the tyre has blown, but no... a look in the window sees them answering the bloody phone.

The other evening I was approaching a roundabout and the exit to my right had traffic going back as far as the eye could see, because some clown had stopped just off the roundabout on the phone and blocked the traffic. Unreal..

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    it's no big deal to stop along the way and get out for a smoke.

Yeah well nobody said you were allowed to have a chair in your box!
    Stand!

their would probably be no poxy room for a chair anyway
    il stand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Really?
    I'm susrprised at that. Don't think I've ever seen No Smoking signs at open air train stations. Have seen plenty of ash trays in them mind.
    Aye. Maynooth station, for example, on the Sligo to Dublin platform, you'll be nudged out of the space between two points when it's quite. Not sure if they do it when it's busy. A few other stations have the same, but it's mostly ignored. Connolly and Heuston stations have the "if it's under the roof it's not allowed" mentality, but it's not always enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

smoking in cars is hardly the biggest health threat to children, what about all those millions of children that are thrown into cars and driven to the golden arches so they can become addicted to the worst idea for food that ever came out of america.

confine mackers to a box
    ... with a chair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Smoking in cars does far more damage to childrens' lungs than smoking in a house.

We shouldn't have to legislate for this though but the sad reality is that some people in Ireland are so fúcking selfish and/or retarded that we do. Anyone who thinks it is a bad idea to have a law against poisoning children is a fúcking idiot.

As someone who smoked for twenty years I feel cheated out of every penny I spent on them. They are expensive, deliver no high, smelly, silly looking and so highly addictive that otherwise intelligent people defend them because not to would be admitting to oneself that smoking is stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

smoking should be illegal everywhere. These outdated stupid bastards illegalise this and that but let's leave the biggest killer on the loose.

I am a smoker 16 years, maybe only p/t now when drinking as I've been for some 7 years now but still can't manage to completely kick it.

Smoking should be illegal and if I ever see someone attempting to light up in front of my kids they shall be booted immediately. It's a disguisting thing and causes harm to everyone else around, smoking or not.

Jay D wrote: »
    smoking should be illegal everywhere. These outdated stupid bastards illegalise this and that but let's leave the biggest killer on the loose.

I am a smoker 16 years, maybe only p/t now when drinking as I've been for some 7 years now but still can't manage to completely kick it.

Smoking should be illegal and if I ever see someone attempting to light up in front of my kids they shall be booted immediately. It's a disguisting thing and causes harm to everyone else around, smoking or not.

well said sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Then you get done for assualt rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I'd say that's more down to the cigarette butts smokers dop at will.

so if someone lit up a smoke while you were at a bustop with your kids and he/she was waiting on the bus as well, you'd give them a boot? dont lie

Odysseus wrote: »
    Then you get done for assualt rightly so.

somebody assaults your child and they deserve what's coming. last week in the park my 4 month year was coughing due to the smoke of another parent. There were words and he put it out, but with the paternal anger rage I felt at seeing my newborn coughing on someone elses poison, things could have ended differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Smoking in cars should be banned FULL STOP!!:mad:

For the health benefit of other passengers as mentioned firstly,
    but..
    If a driver is smoking it distracts them from what they are supposed to be doing.... driving! The second or two it takes to light up, is a second or two with their eyes off the road. Pure stupid and dangerous!

Also...

I've witnessed a lot of smokers 'flick' their butts out the windows when they are finished.. littering and bloody dangerous too.

and finally...

A family member of mine recently purchased a used car, all seemed well with the car and all checked out with the sales man, apart from his strong scent of aftershave... a few days after the purchase the lingering smell of stale cigarette smoke started to emerge from the car. It lingers in the seats, carpets, headliners.. stains the glass etc. Took a lot of work and odour eating products to set things right.

my €0.02

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I think a media campaign to embarrass people into not smoking around their kids -especially in enclosed spaces would be better than enacting a new law that's unlikely to be enforced.

What if the child in the car was 14 and having a smoke himself? Father and son lighting up their tobacco pipes in the car and having an old smoke...

I mean, what could be more natural than two directly related primates hurtling around in a wheeled metal box smoking a plant that's destroying their lungs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I think a media campaign to embarrass people into not smoking around their kids -especially in enclosed spaces would be better than enacting a new law that's unlikely to be enforced.

What if the child in the car was 14 and having a smoke himself? Father and son lighting up their tobacco pipes in the car and having an old smoke...

I mean, what could be more natural than two directly related primates hurtling around in a wheeled metal box smoking a plant that's destroying their lungs?

I'd rather they start with a media campaign for people who smoke while pregnant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement