Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New law to ban smoking in cars where children are present

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

MagicSean wrote: »
    I'd rather they start with a media campaign for people who smoke while pregnant.

The ultimate enclosed space designed by evolution to protect and nurture its occupant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

I'm against the ban because I think it's yet another discriminatory law against stupid people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I love the new type of smoker that Ireland has. Whenever I'm in a room with a smoker he or she will ask if it okay for them to lighting up inside ever if its their house. One of my friends will ever ask before lighting up outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭The Master of Disaster

I agree with banning it in cars with children as it's such an enclosed space but then again I always thought adults with any intelligence or consideration wouldn't light up but experience has taught me otherwise!

Even as a non-smoker I don't, however, agree with banning it in parks or the such. It's an open space and so I find you tend not to even really notice if somebody's smoking or not. I mean as long as it doesn't affect me we need to retain some supposed liberties.

I'm more curious as to how they'll enforce this? Using speed cameras to zoom in on smokers? Or just if a guard happens to see you? Either way it means that 99% of 'offenders' would probably get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

the_syco wrote: »
    Aye. Maynooth station, for example, on the Sligo to Dublin platform, you'll be nudged out of the space between two points when it's quite. Not sure if they do it when it's busy. A few other stations have the same, but it's mostly ignored. Connolly and Heuston stations have the "if it's under the roof it's not allowed" mentality, but it's not always enforced.

That used to drive me mad in Connolly station because they used to have those big old diesel trains, sitting there for hours with their engines running, filling the whole (huge) roofed section of the station with exhaust fumes, but smoking a cigarette wasn't allowed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Rte article:
    Minister for Health James Reilly was given the go-ahead to draw up amendments to a Seanad Private Members Bill on the issue.
    The Bill, introduced by Senators John Crown, Jillian van Turnhout and Mark Daly, advocated a ban on all smoking in cars when children are in the vehicle.

Now, its a given that a parent shouldnt smoke in closed spaces around a child. Thats wrong. I'm a smoker and I agree to that.

But I can't help but feel there is a little bullsh*t going on with regards to smoking and the government. On one hand, the smoking ban in pubs, talks about no smoking in public parks and now this. Alot of anti-smoking stances.

But on the other hand they will never ban smoking outright as it generates too much money in tax. So where are the govenment going with smoking?
    Alot of laws in regards to it. But yet, wont ban it outright :confused:

it is a stupid idea that the gardai wont enforce because it will be too hard to proove.

it will cost the tax payer more money trying to police and prosecute people who will end up using free legal aid and get off on the basis of the fact it is all hearsay evidence. just cos u smell tobacco smoke in a car doesn't necessarily mean a person was smoking while a child was present.

the smell of tobacco smoke can linger in a car for days. a nanny state step too far imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

You shouldn't smoke while driving fullstop IMO, and I say this as a smoker. Anything that in any way inhibits your control of the wheel i.e. holding a ciggy and intermittently taking a drag should be banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

The most depressing thing for me about this is that some people actually need to be told to not smoke in a confined space like a car with your child there. But unfortunately there are people with such little common sense so these type of laws are necessary.

Everybody should have the right to smoke but in a civil society everybody also have a responsibility to not harm others around them unnecessarily. To any person with an ounce of common sense this comes naturally to them but if legislation is need to wake up those that can't put the two of these together then so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

If people want to blame someone for laws like these then blame the people that screw it up for everyone else, no one should be smoking in an enclosed area with a child, in fairness to others they shouldn't even be smoking in enclosed areas with non-smokers.

• Advertisement

I don't think the type of people who would smoke in a car with their children are the type to give a fiddlers whether it's against the law or not.

I don't think the type of people who would smoke in a car with their children are the type to give a fiddlers whether it's against the law or not.

Indeed, but this may be more about ringing home the facts to these people. ie, that second hand smoke is bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Who cares ?

I don't,

Ban it in public areas and cars. I don't care, I'll still smoke in my car & in public, you'll have to jail me.

If I had kids in the car I would not but this will just open the flood gates to ban smoking in cars altogether.

The law used to be there to protect & serve, it's now just there to control the masses at will.

At the end of the day you could get run over by a bus tomorrow so just sit back, relax, light up and who cares about "the man"

lights spliff...

Stiffler2 wrote: »

The law used to be there to protect & serve, it's now just there to control the masses at will.

lights spliff...

It is still there to protect and is trying to protect innocent children from their parents selfishness.

It is still there to protect and is trying to protect innocent children from their parents selfishness.

Meh - tbh I'm not even arsed arguing here

whatever

/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

People seem to think of cars as lock boxes with no ventilation. I can't say I've ever seen a smoker in a car leave the window up. Ever. Regardless of if they are in the car on their own or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I agree with it but I can see it being a very difficult law to enforce. Also children who are exposed to smoke in a car are unfortunately more than likely being exposed to it in the family home as well.

I'm a smoker and I follow a certain etiquette with my habit, I'd never smoke in doors or in any other enclosed space. Quite frankly even I can't stand the lingering smell of stale tobacco in a house or car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

forfuxsake wrote: »
    somebody assaults your child and they deserve what's coming. last week in the park my 4 month year was coughing due to the smoke of another parent. There were words and he put it out, but with the paternal anger rage I felt at seeing my newborn coughing on someone elses poison, things could have ended differently.

Try that in a court of law then after attacking somebody and see how you get on. Why did you not move your child out of danger, would that not be the first thing to do. Or would you like your child to see you physically attack another person.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    People seem to think of cars as lock boxes with no ventilation. I can't say I've ever seen a smoker in a car leave the window up. Ever. Regardless of if they are in the car on their own or not.

Yes, but this is a catch twenty two. Being a non smoker and being present in a car or room with people smoking out an open window is truely and utterly like pissing against the wind.
    The smoke does not automatically seek the window, what actually happens is that the force of the air is far more powerful then the smoke and the air gushing in the window actually pushes the smoke back in the window, and into the area you are trying to protect by having the window open.

Just saying like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

that's already law in some places here in canada, and it's had some strange enforcements, such as the guy who was fined for smoking in the car with his 15 year old daughter, who was also smoking in the car

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

Personnally i don't really care but one thing i would say is the enforcement of this would be a joke. i see people talking on their phones everyday in their cars and have nver seen anyway pulled up for it. given the immediacy of the danger this represents i would have though this should have been more pressing for someone to prevent and yet it carries on unabated!!!

Also, more importantly, this is is a cynical attempt from a minister who has failed miserable to have any impact in his role attempting to distract from his incompetence. Anyone remember his promoise of universal health insurance? Yet here we are and the numbers are still in freefall!!!

Sorry i don't mean to "side-track" his thread but this really annoys me, it will acheive nothing but no doubt the likes as ASH and the other anti-smoking "extremists" will laud him as a hero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

I'm all for the protection of children, but I disagree with this law.

All the smokers I know are very socially conscious, and intelligent enough to not smoke with other adults in the car, never mind kids. Maybe I'm lucky that way.

But I disagree with making something like this, which should be common sense, into law. Rightly or wrongly, I believe it sets a dangerous precedent.

As much as we'd all sometimes like it, we can't make stupidity illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭DonQuay1

brummytom wrote: »
    Smoke away from children, and non-smokers in general. It goes without saying.

(I say that as a smoker)

Can I just say ... 'It goes without saying." .... NOW.

Before the smoking ban - started on 29 March 2004 (only 8 years ago) - smokers usually lit up wherever it suited them .... and no-one was allowed to object. Or did object. Non-smokers .... couldn't object to something that didn't break any law .... even though it could kill them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

A common sense proposal...amazed that anyone disagrees TBH

Jame Gumb wrote: »
    What else is common sense? Banning in public places? Banning in the home? Regale me in this common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Stiffler2 wrote: »

At the end of the day you could get run over by a bus tomorrow so just sit back, relax, light up and who cares about "the man"

That kind of attitude really annoys me!!!!!!!!!! Go jump infront of 20 busses a day for the next few years... see how you get on!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Pushtrak wrote: »
    What else is common sense? Banning in public places? Banning in the home? Regale me in this common sense.

If you don't think that banning smoking in a small confined metal box when children are present is common sense...well I actually don't know what to say

If you don't think that banning smoking in a small confined metal box when children are present is common sense...well I actually don't know what to say
    I know I wouldn't do it, but I'm not in favour of bringing this legalese in to the matter because of how easy it would be to extend it on to another area, and then another. Care to respond to my question from the previous? Where else is it common sense to ban? Less evasion next time, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Rte article:

Now, its a given that a parent shouldnt smoke in closed spaces around a child. Thats wrong. I'm a smoker and I agree to that.

But I can't help but feel there is a little bullsh*t going on with regards to smoking and the government. On one hand, the smoking ban in pubs, talks about no smoking in public parks and now this. Alot of anti-smoking stances.

But on the other hand they will never ban smoking outright as it generates too much money in tax. So where are the govenment going with smoking?

... a car with closed windows not being a closed space...? It;s a lot smaller than your living room, I'm willing to bet.

Beyond that, yes - that is precisely the government's attidude - but at leat it's tryign to keep kids out of it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

saiint wrote: »
    so if someone lit up a smoke while you were at a bustop with your kids and he/she was waiting on the bus as well, you'd give them a boot? dont lie

Sorry I should have made it clear that in my home, car or other personal space it wouldn't be a done thing and booted meaning they'd be told to leave.

This is for you.
    http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-ash2/211068_206593892727650_7209263_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

forfuxsake wrote: »
    they deserve what's coming
    If someone attacked me whilst I was having a smoke, they may find that I'm defensive as I was chilling having a smoke.

Or they could be a bloody punchbag if I was stressed out. Attacking a smoker whilst they're having a smoke could be game over for the attacker, depending on what frame of mind the smoker is in.
    Mugser wrote: »
    apart from his strong scent of aftershave...
    You'd think that you would have noticed the smoke screen?
    You shouldn't change station on the radio while driving fullstop IMO, and I say this as a person who listens to the radio. Anything that in any way inhibits your control of the wheel i.e. changing station and intermittently taking a drag should be banned.
    FYP...

• Advertisement

People who are trying to bring in any analogy about impaired driving are not really addressing the thread as the intention is all smoking, not smoking done by the driver. Again, I'm not standing against the law on grounds that I think one should, I don't. I'm standing against as I don't like more nanny state crapola becoming common place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

Blah Blah Blah, get a life and stop thinking up ideas to keep the PC brigade happy. Whats next, is it illegal to drink coke in front of a child due to influence? Cars have windows. News shock, smokers dont like a smoky atmosphere either.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

You shouldn't smoke while driving fullstop IMO, and I say this as a smoker. Anything that in any way inhibits your control of the wheel i.e. holding a ciggy and intermittently taking a drag should be banned.

better stop people eating or drinking or changing the radio or operating secondary controls as well so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

I dont agree with this law.

I think it should say that smoking in the presence of children in an enclosed and/or confined space is illegal. Not necessary banning it in the home but stopping parents from smoking in the same room as their children - Id say it would just be ignored though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Rte article:
    Minister for Health James Reilly was given the go-ahead to draw up amendments to a Seanad Private Members Bill on the issue.
    The Bill, introduced by Senators John Crown, Jillian van Turnhout and Mark Daly, advocated a ban on all smoking in cars when children are in the vehicle.

Its really great how the Irish goverment is loooking for more ways of getting more money from the people.
    How much is the fine i wonder,or do i have to go to jail for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

default.jpg

What will this wee fella do?

Definitely agree with ban as all of my OHs family smoke as a result of her father chain smoking in the car and at home in their presence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Its really great how the Irish goverment is loooking for more ways of getting more money from the people.
    How exactly do you get people to stop doing something like this without a fine or jail time?

Ideally, you could educate people but what use is that when it goes in one ear and out the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

How exactly do you get people to stop doing something like this without a fine or jail time?

Ideally, you could educate people but what use is that when it goes in one year and out the next.

Thats my hole point,mate,its just another excuse to get more money in to an allready empty goverment account.
    Whats next,gettin a fine or go to jail for smoking in your own home????

Mugser wrote: »
    That kind of attitude really annoys me!!!!!!!!!! Go jump infront of 20 busses a day for the next few years... see how you get on!!

lol.......sssssssuuuuuurrrrrrreeeeeee

• Advertisement
Advertisement