Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jamaican Woodbine Sales Man Gets Death Penalty In UAE

• 27-06-2012 1:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,344 ✭✭✭✭

Death Penalty for a young uk chap who sold 20g's of grass to an undercover brother. That's one hell of a penalty. :eek:

"A British man is facing the death penalty in the United Arab Emirates, the Foreign Office has confirmed.

A local news report claimed the unnamed Briton is a 21-year-old.

He was sentenced in Abu Dhabi alongside a 19-year-old Syrian man for selling an undercover police officer 20g of cannabis worth 1,500 UAE Dirhams (£262).

The Foreign Office was unable to confirm the details of the case, but a spokesman confirmed that it had been contacted.

He said: "I can confirm that a British national is facing death penalty in the UAE.

"We remain in close contact with the British national and his legal team and continue to provide consular assistance."

UAE newspaper the National reported that the man's mother collapsed outside the court after the sentence was passed.

It said a Sudanese co-defendant was jailed for a year for taking cannabis, while a 17-year-old Emirati was ordered to undergo rehabilitation."

http://news.sky.com/story/952691/drug-dealing-brit-faces-death-penalty-in-uae

Well that's one place I won't be visiting in a hurry.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Death Penalty for a young uk chap who sold 20g's of grass to an undercover brother. That's one hell of a penalty. :eek:

"A British man is facing the death penalty in the United Arab Emirates, the Foreign Office has confirmed.

A local news report claimed the unnamed Briton is a 21-year-old.

He was sentenced in Abu Dhabi alongside a 19-year-old Syrian man for selling an undercover police officer 20g of cannabis worth 1,500 UAE Dirhams (£262).

The Foreign Office was unable to confirm the details of the case, but a spokesman confirmed that it had been contacted.

He said: "I can confirm that a British national is facing death penalty in the UAE.

"We remain in close contact with the British national and his legal team and continue to provide consular assistance."

UAE newspaper the National reported that the man's mother collapsed outside the court after the sentence was passed.

It said a Sudanese co-defendant was jailed for a year for taking cannabis, while a 17-year-old Emirati was ordered to undergo rehabilitation."

http://news.sky.com/story/952691/drug-dealing-brit-faces-death-penalty-in-uae

Well that's one place I won't be visiting in a hurry.
    Do the crime, do the time. He knew what the punishment would be over there. Just because he is a westerner doesn't absolve him of his crime or mean he should get special treatment, even if the punishment is harsh by our standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dilapidating

Do the crime, do the time. He knew what the punishment would be over there. Just because he is a westerner doesn't absolve him of his crime or mean he should get special treatment, even if the punishment is harsh by our standards.

Just a tad harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Have to agree with oppenheimer
    When in Rome and all that.

You know the law of the land, do not disrespect it.

Or else face the music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

'Harsh' is understating things a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Everyone knows the strict laws over there. Why do something so stupid?

• Advertisement

Rabies wrote: »
    Everyone knows the strict laws over there. Why do something so stupid?
    He's 21.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I agree with most of the others he knew what the consequences would be if caught and he still did it so **** him tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭weemcd

Never setting foot in a country that would put a man to death for that, or put a couple in jail for having sex on the beach (and of course I do mean coitus, not the alcoholic cocktail) them laws freak me out, it's like a law from 1000 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Hasnt Midnight Express not thought people anything?

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

While i don't agree with the death penalty for a crime like this i do believe that you can't go to a country and break their laws and not be subject to their justice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

A savage and barbaric place.

The sooner we get off oil and the Middle East reverts back to the 7th century the better IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,344 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

mishkalucy wrote: »
    Have to agree with oppenheimer
    When in Rome and all that.

You know the law of the land, do not disrespect it.

Or else face the music
    kryogen wrote: »
    I agree with most of the others he knew what the consequences would be if caught and he still did it so **** him tbh

FFS what planet are you all on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

And that's cool and all, but do people from other countries always obey our customs ? Non nationals do get some special treatment here, for example that photo ID problem we had where head scarves were not allowed but a special pardon was made for some.

I wonder how they would like it if you were to execute one of their citizens because they dealt cannabis?

I think you'll find that they would give **** all ****s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Load of bollox.
    The punishment is abhorrent.

Nice. Yeah he was guilty of being stupid but the f#ckin death penalty? People make stupid mistakes, the crime here is the penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

weemcd wrote: »
    Never setting foot in a country that would put a man to death for that, or put a couple in jail for having sex on the beach (and of course I do mean coitus, not the alcoholic cocktail) them laws freak me out, it's like a law from 1000 years ago.

Heaven forbid you would be an open homosexual there either.

There was also a brit jailed for two weeks there a while back for eating in public during the fasting month of Ramadan.

A kip of a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 xL

The punishment does not fit the crime.

You can be executed just for being gay in Saudi Arabia and Iran. Women are treated essentially as chattel. The Middle East is in the dark ages socially.

Like I opined before, Dubai, for all its false glitter and skyscrapers, is really a savage and barbaric place.

It says it on the aeroplane, it's in the in flight magazine, it's in big letters in customs. What part of Death for Drug Traffikers did he not understand?

Taken from another comment site

• Advertisement

Load of bollox.
    The punishment is abhorrent.
    Definitely. Imagine if that was your mate or your bro or something, you'd be in bits.
    The punishment doesn't fit the crime, it's barbaric.

Guill wrote: »
    Taken from another comment site

They would execute you in the UAE for such a crime.......

mikom wrote: »
    They would execute you in the UAE for such a crime.......

Not at all, I read the forum guidlines...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Punishment is barbaric but then again any drug using/selling westerner going out there is well aware of it.

Not saying he should die for this but he gambled and lost.

FFS what planet are you all on.

Earth, welcome!

If you can't obey the laws of the land maybe you shouldn't go there? Maybe you don't have to sell drugs to a stranger over there?

It is an incredibly draconian law, but it is the law of the land.

You break a law you have to be willing to accept the potential fallout.

What planet are you from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Imagine this part of the world (Qatar) was actually given a world cup ??!!

The sooner we stop buying oil off these dinosaurs and their neighbours, the sooner we won't ever have to interact with the delusional cults of the middle east. :rolleyes:

They never showed this in "Sex and the city 2".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Even if you have no pity for the young fool, you have to feel sorry for his family. It will destroy them completely.

Johro wrote: »
    Nice. Yeah he was guilty of being stupid but the f#ckin death penalty? People make stupid mistakes, the crime here is the penalty.

He did not have to go to the country, he did not have to sell drugs there, any Westerner going to the middle east knows the harsh punishments regarding drugs.

It is spelt out pretty clearly, the issue is not whether the law is harsh or not, it clearly is in this case, but he went there with his eyes open. He took a shot and he lost. He may have to pay the ultimate penalty, harsh yep, the rulers of that countries right to set and carry out their own laws kinda comes first though.

• Advertisement

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Imagine this part of the world (Qatar) was actually given a world cup ??!!

The sooner we stop buying oil off these dinosaurs and their neighbours, the sooner we won't ever have to interact with the delusional cults of the middle east. :rolleyes:

Are the "delusional cults" of the West really much better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I disagree with the death penalty full stop.

I dont know enough about whats happened, but it looks like a young person sold a smallish amount of grass.

Considerably more than what I would consider normal personal consumption though.

3rdDegree wrote: »
    Even if you have no pity for the young fool, you have to feel sorry for his family. It will destroy them completely.

This I do agree with, horrible thing for a family to have to go through wouldn't wish it on anybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Johro wrote: »
    He's 21.

You don't go to a country like that with fingers in your ears and a blindfold on.
    While I don't agree with the harshness of the punishment, it is his own fault. No person regardless of nationality should have laws like that enforced on them.

Our culture and laws are completely different. When over seas, you have to respect the laws, everyone hears about the crazy ones before they get there.

I was in Thailand a while ago. Never been there before, but I sure as hell knew to not try drugs are mingle with people that do it. Get sh!t planted on you and a thai jail is one of the worst in the world to be in.

I'm sure he will get released, both governments won't want the unnecessary tension

At the end of the day, if you're in a country with strict laws, obey them.

He did not have to go to the country, he did not have to sell drugs there, any Westerner going to the middle east knows the harsh punishments regarding drugs.

It is spelt out pretty clearly, the issue is not whether the law is harsh or not, it clearly is in this case, but he went there with his eyes open. He took a shot and he lost. He may have to pay the ultimate penalty, harsh yep, the rulers of that countries right to set and carry out their own laws kinda comes first though.

I couldn't diasgree more.

I'm of the more enlightened opinion that regimes like UAE and Saudi Arabia are oppressive and wicked and should be pressured to change for the better. These regimes oppress their own people as well as that of the migrant workers who in Dubai build the skyscrapers and are treated worse than animals.

If we say "well, that's just the way it is etc." then nothing will change.

Are the "delusional cults" of the West really much better?

Although they don't agree with "the gays", I'd say they don't have any impact on my day to day life or have call for the death of someone over some grass.

• Advertisement

I am pretty sure he will not be executed by the way, he will either serve a sentence over there or be deported and never allowed return.

Would be very surprised if he was actually executed for it. Not worth the hassle.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I couldn't diasgree more.

I'm of the more enlightened opinion that regimes like UAE and Saudi Arabia are oppressive and wicked and should be pressured to change for the better. These regimes oppress their own people as well as that of the migrant workers who in Dubai build the skyscrapers and are treated worse than animals.

If we say "well, that's just the way it is etc." then nothing will change.

Every soverign nation has a right to govern itself.

Don't be so arrogant as to think you have any right to tell other people and other cultures what they should do.

Although they don't agree with "the gays", I'd say they don't have any impact on my day to day life or have call for the death of someone over some grass.

How do the people in the middle east have a day to day impact on your life? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Don't be so arrogant as to think you have any right to tell other people and other cultures what they should do.

Apartheid.

Let's bring that back. Pure class so it was.

There savages for fcuk's sake. Do you not get that there not right. No man has the right to condem another to death for something like that. If that's the law of the land then we should nuke the pricks.

• Advertisement

grindle wrote: »
    Apartheid.

Let's bring that back. Pure class so it was.

Yeah no racism at all in SA these days..........

There savages for fcuk's sake. Do you not get that there not right. No man has the right to condem another to death for something like that. If that's the law of the land then we should nuke the pricks.

You understand the contradiction in your stance right?

I have already made my views on their laws clear. It is irrelevant however

Yeah no racism at all in SA these days..........

Plenty (from both sides), but enforced by government militia? Not so much.

Concerns of other Western nations, and a majority of a population sick of being trod upon, changed that.

Bad things should be taken away, and replaced with good things.
    A simple premise.

How do the people in the middle east have a day to day impact on your life? :confused:

You were asking me about "delusional cults" of the west weren't you ??

I assume you were talking about the catholic church ??

Plenty (from both sides), but enforced by government militia? Not so much.

Concerns of other Western nations, and a majority of a population sick of being trod upon, changed that.

Bad things should be taken away, and replaced with good things.
    A simple premise.

Real change comes from within.

Another nice saying.

But let me get this straight, the racial issues in SA today are fine becuase the government has less direct involvement? cool.

But let me get this straight, the racial issues in SA today are fine becuase the government has less direct involvement? cool.

Not fine, still work to do, but the murder rate has been halved in the last 18 years...
    Now... What ended 18 years ago...?

You were asking me about "delusional cults" of the west weren't you ??

I assume you were talking about the catholic church ??

It still wouldn't explain how the middle east rulers impact on your day to day life?

You did say that didnt you? I read your post pretty quick maybe I took you up wrong?

Not just the Catholic Church more so the Fundamentalist Christian elemant that runs the USA

Ill be very clear I disagree with the punishment, I disagree with all of the draconian laws in these countries, but I do not agree with outside interference in soverign countries in that manner, change will happen there over time, they are so far behind it will take a long time.

But for real sustainable change it has to come from within the country.

But for real sustainable change it has to come from within the country.

That's complete bollix when your dealing with butchers. It's our duty as the free to help others who can't help themselves without the threat of death.

Not fine, still work to do, but the murder rate has been halved in the last 18 years...
    Now... What ended 18 years ago...?

If you feel the need to be a smart arse in an effort to get thanks then go ahead.

That's complete bollix when your dealing with butchers. It's our duty as the free to help others who can't help themselves without the threat of death.

Are you American by any chance?

• Advertisement
Advertisement