Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jamaican Woodbine Sales Man Gets Death Penalty In UAE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

I'm sure plenty of people go there, obey their laws, have a nice holiday and return home safe and sound.

While I am against the death penalty for 99% of crimes, I do agree with Kryogen that they have a right to have their own laws, ignorance of the law is no defence and any western going to the mid east and selling drugs would be well aware of the stance they have against that.

I spoke to a girl I know who lives there, about drinking, and she said its done in a very respectful manner (to the country/people) not in the street and there is certainly not the same carry-on we see in Ireland every weekend in the streets after closing time.

I would expect that anyone coming to Ireland would respect our society, traditional norms laws and customs, and whenever I go abroad I do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

I think the punishment is harsh, and I do not agree with the death penalty.

But the stupidity of selling drugs in a place where the punishment is so harsh - what was he thinking?

If you are visiting somewhere, at least respect the laws and traditions of the place even if you do not agree with them. Isn't that why we travel, to see places that are different in the physical landscape, the climate and in customs/traditions of its peoples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

So execution is the price someone will pay for trying to trade a bit of vegetation that gives people a gentle buzz?

You couldn't make it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

So execution is the price someone will pay for trying to trade a bit of vegetation that gives people a gentle buzz?

You couldn't make it up.

He won't be executed, and if he was to sell the drugs here, in America, France places like that, no as far as I know they have no death penalty for selling such quantities of drugs.

However it seems some countries do have pretty clearly stated laws regarding these things, and I know for myself where I would choose to sell drugs if I was so inclined.

Punishment fit the crime? of course not.
    Punishment for the crime clearly stated in the country he choose to sell drugs in? hell yeah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

kryogen wrote: »
    If you feel the need to be a smart arse in an effort to get thanks then go ahead.

"Dear everybody, please don't thank me, signed, grindle."

In fact, remove any thanks you may ever have given me.

De-thanks-whoring? Sure, why not?

If you feel you have a toilet paper-thin argument, don't resort to name-calling, just stop posting.

Usually, countries with extreme drugs penalties have the warning written up in the airport.. I take note of it and don't sell drugs in these countries.
    We can't force or expect our ideas of tolerance on a country that is radically different in every way.. The guy shouldn't have to die for it but he will and it's completely his fault. I have no big moral problems with drugs/dealing but it is his fault.

Whoever said he's only 21, when do you think we should be held accountable for our actions? 25?

grindle wrote: »
    "Dear everybody, please don't thank me, signed, grindle."

In fact, remove any thanks you may ever have given me.

De-thanks-whoring? Sure, why not?

If you feel you have a toilet paper-thin argument, don't resort to name-calling, just stop posting.

So it is just thanks whoring?

Calling someone a smart arse when they are being a smart arse is simply calling a spade a spade my friend.

My argument is pretty solid. You have absolutely no right to dictate policy to another country. You could amuse me with a counter argument for that I guess

We can't force or expect our ideas of tolerance on a country that is radically different in every way..
    We're still allowed to be disgusted and voice our opinions on backward cultures though, yeah?

However it seems some countries do have pretty clearly stated laws regarding these things

The laws are immoral and the guy was naive (obviously).

I detest the 'but it's the law' observation when it's so obvious that the law is barbaric.

Would people be as shouldershruggey if it were a women being stoned to death for adultery because it's against the law?

• Advertisement

I detest the 'but it's the law' observation when it's so obvious that the law is barbaric.

Would people be as shouldershruggey if it were a women being stoned to death for adultery because it's against the law?

A woman cheating on her husband and a drug dealer are not really comparable

We're still allowed to be disgusted and voice our opinions on backward cultures though, yeah?

You think South Africa is currently an ok place, much better then it was?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Do the crime, do the time. He knew what the punishment would be over there. Just because he is a westerner doesn't absolve him of his crime or mean he should get special treatment, even if the punishment is harsh by our standards.

Just imagine if their laws were here - would be no more junkies/skangers annoying everyone in Dublin.....or anywhere else. What a plus it would be for the country and just think how much money we would save on their treatment!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,344 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

drugs
    drugs
    drugs.

It's a plant. Come join us in the 21st century sometime. It's a high and happy place for the enlightened.

So it is just thanks whoring?
    No, it's just sarcasm.
    You have absolutely no right to dictate policy to another country. You could amuse me with a counter argument for that I guess
    One of the great advances of the modern age... Freedom of speech.

The power to dictate or not to dictate, as you so choose.

Whether or not the other side listens to you is up to them.

You, for example, are dictating to me.

Do you have the right to dictate my thoughts? No?

Then why do you do it?

And why do I not mind?

Freedom of speech...

You say we shouldn't be allowed to criticise, I say we should.

Then you criticise my world-view.

You break your own rules, I keep to mine.

Yeah, no problem. Just don't absolve the guy of responsibility.

I think "But it's the law" is a grand observation for a country like UAE.. It's not your home country, it's a place to visit for a week, a month, a year.. But if you're not a citizen, then you're a passenger on their ride and if one of the rules is "deal drugs and die", then people should respect it.

I live in a country with a death penalty for drugs.. If I get caught dealing and get the death penalty, I don't want some lads on an Irish forum calling me naive. I want you calling me stupid for dealing drugs in a country with the death penalty.

The thread isn't even about drugs.. It's about someone breaking a clear law that has the death penalty attached. 21 is old enough to know the meaning of life and death.

• Advertisement

It's a plant. Come join us in the 21st century sometime. It's a high and happy place for the enlightened.

Wow, so its not a drug? huh

Well that's "enlightened" me.

(I may smoke the odd joint you know, only I am still ok with the word drug)

No, it's just sarcasm.

One of the great advances of the modern age... Freedom of speech.

The power to dictate or not to dictate, as you so choose.

Whether or not the other side listens to you is up to them.

You, for example, are dictating to me.

Do you have the right to dictate my thoughts? No?

Then why do you do it?

And why do I not mind?

Freedom of speech...

You say we shouldn't be allowed to criticise, I say we should.

Then you criticise my world-view.

You break your own rules, I keep to mine.

Nope, awful lot of words but not a lot right.

I have not said we can't criticise. That's pretty much all I need to say in response to this post.

A woman cheating on her husband and a drug dealer are not really comparable

They're equally trivial 'crimes' and if the sanction for these crimes is death the laws are equally fucking barbaric.

The thread isn't even about drugs.. It's about someone breaking a clear law that has the death penalty attached. 21 is old enough to know the meaning of life and death.

This

This is all that really matters, the guy broke a clear law and is old enough to deal with the consequences of his actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I can't see the how forcing SA to stop apartheid is similar to a law such as the death penalty for drug dealing in UAE.

Apartheid was a racist government oppressing people based on the colour of their skin.

The death penalty in UAE for drug dealing is only applied if you deal drugs.

I agree it's OTT but what kind of monumental retard do you need to be to sell drugs to a stranger in the UAE.... Anyway, as already said it's very unlikely he'll be executed for it. I would imagine there are behind the scenes pressures for these things.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

A good friend of mine is in jail at the moment in the UAE and the Irish media have all but ignored it, despite the fact that he went on hunger strike for over three weeks recently and almost died (the Dubai Government finally promised to review his case and so he began eating again).

He shared a cell with over thirty inmates at one stage and the particular prison is notorious for murders over the smallest of arguments over quite trivial things. It's a hell hole. The prison in Midnight Run looks like paradise in comparison to some of the descriptions that I've heard.

His crime was that he did not know that the Government would hold back payment on construction work that his business had carried out, thereby making cheques the business wrote, bounce and even though the business was/is owed millions by the very Government charging him, it did not matter because signing a bounced cheque in the UAE almost guarantees a six to seven year jail term, which is what he got.

Another English guy from a few years back was imprisoned for "bouncing cheques" and a few weeks ago suffered a stroke:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/hunger-strike-briton-peter-margetts-suffers-stroke-in-dubai-prison-7828083.html

It's all very well saying 'don't do the crime' and 'when in rome' but these places don't give a fair hearing and quite often these people are not guilty of what they are being charged with.

Here's a video by a daughter of another UK prisoner out there:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Sorry, but I don't buy that. In most of these countries with strict drug laws, it is written on the customs form you fill out to enter the country in BIG BOLD LETTERS that the penalty for selling drugs is the death penalty. When I went to Malaysia last year, not only was it on all of the immigration forms, but the captain of the plane made an announcement about it before we landed.

I am anti-death penalty under any circumstances, but to say that someone who is an international drug trafficker is 'naive' about the stakes is a bit disingenuous.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

But let me get this straight, the racial issues in SA today are fine becuase the government has less direct involvement? cool.

As if that's what he is saying. Way to twist his words man... completely invalidates your posts.

They're equally trivial 'crimes' and if the sanction for these crimes is death the laws are equally fucking barbaric.

Drug dealing is now a trivial crime?

The laws are barbaric yes.

Andy!! wrote: »
    As if that's what he is saying. Way to twist his words man... completely invalidates your posts.

Whats good for the goose

I won't need to be reminded never to visit a place with such savage laws.

I have not said we can't criticise.
    Criticism through dictation?
    You have absolutely no right to dictate policy to another country.
    I maintain they should change, as their ideals are sub-human.
    That's me criticising, and dictating.
    You seem to say above that I shouldn't?

Criticism through dictation?

I maintain they should change, as their ideals are sub-human.
    That's me criticising, and dictating.
    You seem to say above that I shouldn't?

Are you really pretending not to understand what I said?

Just on the off chance you are being genuine, I said you cant tell the UAE what to do ( i.e dictate policy), you can not tell them they have to change their laws.

You can criticise the laws all day long if you like.

whiplashed wrote: »
    A good friend of mine is in jail at the moment in the UAE and the Irish media have all but ignored it, despite the fact that he went on hunger strike for over three weeks recently and almost died (the Dubai Government finally promised to review his case and so he began eating again).

He shared a cell with over thirty inmates at one stage and the particular prison is notorious for murders over the smallest of arguments over quite trivial things. It's a hell hole. The prison in Midnight Run looks like paradise in comparison to some of the descriptions that I've heard.

His crime was that he did not know that the Government would hold back payment on construction work that his business had carried out, thereby making cheques the business wrote, bounce and even though the business was/is owed millions by the very Government charging him, it did not matter because signing a bounced cheque in the UAE almost guarantees a six to seven year jail term, which is what he got.

Another English guy from a few years back was imprisoned for "bouncing cheques" and a few weeks ago suffered a stroke:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/hunger-strike-briton-peter-margetts-suffers-stroke-in-dubai-prison-7828083.html

It's all very well saying 'don't do the crime' and 'when in rome' but these places don't give a fair hearing and quite often these people are not guilty of what they are being charged with.

Here's a video by a daughter of another UK prisoner out there:

That's very sad.. Crazy country.

Sorry, but I don't buy that. In most of these countries with strict drug laws, it is written on the customs form you fill out to enter the country in BIG BOLD LETTERS that the penalty for selling drugs is the death penalty. When I went to Malaysia last year, not only was it on all of the immigration forms, but the captain of the plane made an announcement about it before we landed.

All the more reason that he was naive? Wouldn't you have to be naive, stupid, mentally deficient to risk your life for such a small sum of money?

I mean, if it was millions you'd kinda be saying.. 'well I guess the risk/reward was summed up and he lost' but surely there's something not right with the guy.

• Advertisement

I have visited Dubai for a week, I obeyed the laws I had a very good time there, outside the flash tourist hotels and shopping districts designed to attract tourism it is still a deeply Muslim country, and it is extreme, as such it is not somewhere I would like to live.

Here ya go..

Afghanistan
    Bangladesh
    Brunei
    China
    Egypt
    Indonesia
    Iran
    Iraq
    Kuwait
    Laos
    Malaysia
    Oman
    Pakistan
    Saudi Arabia
    Singapore
    Somalia
    Sri Lanka
    Taiwan
    Thailand
    Vietnam
    United Arab Emirates
    Zimbabwe

Edit: That's dealth penalty countries.. There's dozens of others where the prison time and conditions are so bad that they could be added to the list of places with savage laws. We're lucky in Ireland.

All the more reason that he was naive? Wouldn't you have to be naive, stupid, mentally deficient to risk your life for such a small sum of money?

I mean, if it was millions you'd kinda be saying.. 'well I guess the risk/reward was summed up and he lost' but surely there's something not right with the guy.

At the moment you have no way to know that though, if this was his job, if he was a dealer there then transactions worth 260pound each add up. He only has to get caught once, we have no idea how long he was doing it or how much he has sold.

It would seem pretty unlucky to run into an undercover police man the first time you decided to sell some. Stranger things have happened though

Drug dealing is now a trivial crime?.

When two adults enter into a contract with no coercion?

Yeah, pretty trivial. There aren't even any good reasons, or at least consistent ones, as to why it's even a crime in the first place.

When two adults enter into a contract with no coercion?

Yeah, pretty trivial. There aren't even any good reasons, or at least consistent ones, as to why it's even a crime in the first place.

Are you for real?

Is this just limited to grass?

You can criticise the laws all day long if you like.

...and say that they should change them.
    Criticising them implies it anyway, why not go the whole hog?

I don't understand why anybody thinks we shouldn't be allowed to say "This idea is absolutely retarded beyond belief, it should be changed.", just because they're a sovereign nation.

I wouldn't go there, because I try to support as few backwards knob-ends as possible, but this young twit does not, objectively, deserve death for selling weed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

No justice system should have the right to take a life, UAE or USA.

I understand the lad knew the risks, but Ireland and Europe are at least progressive enough with regards to the Death Penalty and we should condemn any backward nation that still enforces it.

Are you for real?

Is this just limited to grass?

No.

What drugs are you for and against?

I wouldn't go there, because I try to support as few backwards knob-ends as possible, but this young twit does not, objectively, deserve death for selling weed.

You will find no argument here on that point.

• Advertisement

No.

What drugs are you for and against?

I would like to see certain drugs legalised as regardless of what misconceptions people may have about buying or selling small amounts of drugs, the money made from these transactions ends up making the world a worse place in the long run.

I would be in favour of legalising and regulating grass for instance.

I'm out of it for the night, feel free to take any cheap shots required as I will not be here to defend myself :)

the money made from these transactions ends up making the world a worse place in the long run.

Not so much the money as the characters involved and the lack of recourse to legal settling of disputes if deals go wrong.

These problems do not arise in the brewing and tobacco industries because instead of making them illegal they are highly regulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Do the crime, do the time. He knew what the punishment would be over there. Just because he is a westerner doesn't absolve him of his crime or mean he should get special treatment, even if the punishment is harsh by our standards.

I have edited my post now that I've calmed down but seriously, I can't begin to describe how much I hate you for that comment and all the others who are justifying this sick ****ing situation.

100% **** anybody who thinks this is in any way justified. This is a straight up, government approved murder and it truly saddens me to see anybody defend barbarity like this.

Evil triumphs when good people do nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

It's not justified, I am not defending it. I can't change it. All i know is that I would never deal drugs there considering the consequences. He would have been well aware himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

It's ****ing wrong and I seriously question the humanity of any individual who falls back on the "that's how it is" excuse.

No excuse for evil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I honestly couldn't care less about tolerance for another culture when they are ending somebody's life for selling something that grows naturally in the ground. Absolutely mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Johro wrote: »
    Load of bollox.
    The punishment is abhorrent.
    Definitely. Imagine if that was your mate or your bro or something, you'd be in bits.
    The punishment doesn't fit the crime, it's barbaric.
    Complete ****e. If my brother, if I had one, was a serial rapist, and got the death penalty in the UAE, I'd be in bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Here ya go..

Afghanistan
    Bangladesh
    Brunei
    China
    Egypt
    Indonesia
    Iran
    Iraq
    Kuwait
    Laos
    Malaysia
    Oman
    Pakistan
    Saudi Arabia
    Singapore
    Somalia
    Sri Lanka
    Taiwan
    Thailand
    Vietnam
    United Arab Emirates
    Zimbabwe

Edit: That's dealth penalty countries.. There's dozens of others where the prison time and conditions are so bad that they could be added to the list of places with savage laws. We're lucky in Ireland.

You forgot the USA in that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Proper order if you do the crime be ready to do the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Although it is still insane to do, you can half understand people who risk a death sentence/ 30 years to life to smuggle out or in a financially substantial amount of drugs.

But 200 quid profit?

The fcuker is too stupid to not be killed tbh. The ONLY way you could dismiss this as youthful idiocy is if he was sourcing the drugs for, say, some bird he fancied. But this just seems to have been for the purpose of making a few notes. What a moron.

I honestly couldn't care less about tolerance for another culture when they are ending somebody's life for selling something that grows naturally in the ground

• Advertisement
Advertisement