Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jamaican Woodbine Sales Man Gets Death Penalty In UAE

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Well you know about it, is it uncomfortable?
    Sure thing son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Sure thing son.

Ok pops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

kryogen wrote: »
    He did not have to go to the country, he did not have to sell drugs there, any Westerner going to the middle east knows the harsh punishments regarding drugs.

It is spelt out pretty clearly, the issue is not whether the law is harsh or not, it clearly is in this case, but he went there with his eyes open. He took a shot and he lost. He may have to pay the ultimate penalty, harsh yep, the rulers of that countries right to set and carry out their own laws kinda comes first though.
    Yeah I get all that, I just think they could take some things into consideration, i.e. his age and the fact it was a very small amount of weed.
    Jeez I thought most people knew that all young men think they are immune to everything, they all think 'bad stuff happens to other people'. That's why so many get into cars pissed out of their heads, it's not like they don't know what could happen, they just think it won't happen to them. He might have heard about these kind of sentences and thought they were reserved for those people who deal in kilos of heroin, not a bit of weed.
    Whatever, the punishment just doesn't fit the crime, and we're talking about a young guy who made one bad mistake, and he should die for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Death Penalty for a young uk chap who sold 20g's of grass to an undercover brother. That's one hell of a penalty. :eek:

"A British man is facing the death penalty in the United Arab Emirates, the Foreign Office has confirmed.

A local news report claimed the unnamed Briton is a 21-year-old.

He was sentenced in Abu Dhabi alongside a 19-year-old Syrian man for selling an undercover police officer 20g of cannabis worth 1,500 UAE Dirhams (£262).

The Foreign Office was unable to confirm the details of the case, but a spokesman confirmed that it had been contacted.

He said: "I can confirm that a British national is facing death penalty in the UAE.

"We remain in close contact with the British national and his legal team and continue to provide consular assistance."

UAE newspaper the National reported that the man's mother collapsed outside the court after the sentence was passed.

It said a Sudanese co-defendant was jailed for a year for taking cannabis, while a 17-year-old Emirati was ordered to undergo rehabilitation."

http://news.sky.com/story/952691/drug-dealing-brit-faces-death-penalty-in-uae

Well that's one place I won't be visiting in a hurry.

He deserves it trying to rip people off like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭UserName 217

Johro wrote: »
    Yeah I get all that, I just think they could take some things into consideration, i.e. his age and the fact it was a very small amount of weed.
    Jeez I thought most people knew that all young men think they are immune to everything, they all think 'bad stuff happens to other people'. That's why so many get into cars pissed out of their heads, it's not like they don't know what could happen, they just think it won't happen to them. He might have heard about these kind of sentences and thought they were reserved for those people who deal in kilos of heroin, not a bit of weed.
    Whatever, the punishment just doesn't fit the crime, and we're talking about a young guy who made one bad mistake, and he should die for it?

This is what you call a small amount

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-512815/Briton-jailed-years-Dubai-customs-cannabis-weighing-grain-sugar-shoe.html

I think the death penalty is definitely too harsh, don't care what anyone says.

With all the publicity this is getting and a huge amount more if he is executed, it will certainly get the message across that drug dealing is unacceptable at ANY level and the are dire consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

With all the publicity this is getting and a huge amount more if he is executed, it will certainly get the message across that drug dealing is unacceptable at ANY level and the are dire consequences.

........or convince me that some people are just lunatics.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Most of the Middle East is socially still in the middle ages relative to the West.

If you can be jailed for taking necessary medications in UAE that says to me that the country is an Islamofascist and barbaric place that doesn't deserve the wealth and so-called "development" that it currently enjoys.

We have every right to criticise and question their medieval, barbaric laws. I am a gay man - in the UAE that in itself would make me a criminal. Can you imagine what life is like for gay people in a hell hole like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Johro wrote: »
    'Harsh' is understating things a bit.

And then some.

I like to think of myself as a balanced, well rounded and tolerant person, but when i hear stories from this part of the world and how they seemingly still live in the 13th century, i feel ashamed of myself for thinking 'just do the rest of the world a favour and drop a nuke on them', but i can't help it :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I'm 20, would use drugs regularly enough and like travelling. Anyone who is stupid enough to do / possess / sell drugs in somewhere like UAE is mentally incompetent to put it nicely. You don't fúck around in somewhere like the UAE.

Ironic nobody here seems to be calling Singapore barbaric. It's an incredibly well developed country yet if you're caught with half a kilo of Cannabis goods it's automatic death penalty, no matter what your defence is. It's not the fancy lethal injection execution either. You'll enjoy a lovely trip to the gallows.

RMD wrote: »
    I'm 20, would use drugs regularly enough and like travelling. Anyone who is stupid enough to do / possess / sell drugs in somewhere like UAE is mentally incompetent to put it nicely. You don't fúck around in somewhere like the UAE.

Ironic nobody here seems to be calling Singapore barbaric. It's an incredibly well developed country yet if you're caught with half a kilo of Cannabis goods it's automatic death penalty, no matter what your defence is. It's not the fancy lethal injection execution either. You'll enjoy a lovely trip to the gallows.

And itsn't it funny that it's also illegal to be gay in Singapore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Posters are more likely to talk about the UAE in this thread, for some reason. But there are a fair few middle ages type countries alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Teangalad

Why did he go there in the first place , was this kid dealing for a living or what ? did he bring the gear into the country himself?..surely the authorities would be better off looking for the king pins and making an example of them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Teangalad wrote: »
    Why did he go there in the first place , was this kid dealing for a living or what ? did he bring the gear into the country himself?..surely the authorities would be better off looking for the king pins and making an example of them .

In fairness this does make an example. A young guy goes to their country with an amount of Weed that would get you a slap on the wrist fine and a caution in most Western countries, while instead he gets the death penalty. It receives widespread news and acts as a serious deterrent.

You'd expect the kingpins to get the death penalty, you wouldn't expect the small time dealer to get the death penalty. This serves as a greater example than any king pin execution would.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ciaran0

You'd expect the kingpins to get the death penalty, you wouldn't expect the small time dealer to get the death penalty. This serves as a greater example than any king pin execution would.

Unfortunately true. Doesn't make it right however. There should be more pressure internationally on these type of countries to review and reform their laws. I think it's sad that the west will turn a blind eye to these things until a westerner gets caught up in it all. When it comes to the oppression that the people of these countries face all the time I fear we are woefully ignorant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Hypocrits.
    These people smoke dope, drink their heads off and bang whores when they visit the West.
    They don't fool me.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭wingsof daun

Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and United Arab Emirates are oppressive and have laws that are barbaric and medieval. Yet we never hear any criticism of them from western leaders. Why? The Bahrain royals are very pact with the Queen of England so no hope that their will be an intervention there for regime change. Libya before 2011 accepted gays and different ethnic groups in their country and with equal rights. Their was no death penalty for drugs but you may have been jailed. Other countries that need regime change are now being ignored because they have good relations with western leaders.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

You forgot the USA in that list.

No he didn't. That was a list of countries which apply the death penalty for drug sales. The USA doesn't go that far.
    Yes he was an idiot, yes he probably knew the law. But the law is wrong.

Would that not be a subjective statement, a matter of opinion which the UAE people may have their own opinions on?

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Would that not be a subjective statement, a matter of opinion which the UAE people may have their own opinions on?

Tbh they would have very little say in this......... no matter what their opinion.

The UAE and most other Middle East countries are not democracies - they are controlled by super wealthy royal families, most of whom are corrupt and very oppressive of their subjects. But if they are amenable to the geopolitical and fossil fuel demands of the West they are left alone.

Stinking hypocrisy on the part of the West and Dubai/UAE is a prime example of this.

Quite why anyone would want to live in Dubai apart from sending home a wage to feed their impoverished families is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The UAE and most other Middle East countries are not democracies - they are controlled by super wealthy royal families, most of whom are corrupt and very oppressive of their subjects. But if they are amenable to the geopolitical and fossil fuel demands of the West they are left alone.

Stinking hypocrisy on the part of the West and Dubai/UAE is a prime example of this.

Quite why anyone would want to live in Dubai apart from sending home a wage to feed their impoverished families is beyond me.

and they are full of drugs - but generally that's ok if you're local and well connected. Probably why this guy had a false sense of security, unfortunately they love to catch foreigners.

Advertisement