Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bishop caught frollicking with girlfriend resigns.

• 27-06-2012 8:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

An Argentine bishop caught on film frolicking in the sea with a bikini-clad woman has resigned, the Vatican announced yesterday, writes Nick Pisa.
    Monsignor Fernando Maria Bargallo (57), pictured, handed in his notice after footage of him with Maria de las Victoria Martinez Bo, on a beach in Mexico, was made public.
    Mgr Bargallo at first said she was a "childhood friend". However, the senior Roman Catholic clergyman later reportedly admitted he had been involved in "amorous ties" with the businesswoman for several years.
    Pictures of the couple embracing in the sea were first broadcast on television in Argentina last week, and officials from the papal nuncio's office in Buenos Aires and the Vatican immediately started an investigation.
    Irish Independent

[Removed Image]

Its about time the church allowed clergy to marry. Works perfectly well in other religions, allowing them to have a practical input into marriage guidance and family etc.

Straight out of Father Ted though..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Down with this sort of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Was he making sandcastles using his mitre? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Couldn't give us a link though could ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Festy wrote: »
    Down with this sort of thing.

Careful Now !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

i agree, they should be allowed to marry , have sex and so on
    if they were, there would be "would of been" less child molesters in the catholic church

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

they should also allow atheist bishops

come on like, it's 2012!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

How do you know she was called "Frol"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

LINKY

LINKY WITH PIC/VID

Ah ya can't bate a bit of frolicking in the Argentine sea with bikini clad women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

What exactly does 'frolicking' involve?! I must try it out with my girlfriend.....it sounds kind of fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Well there has been so many calls for those who break the rules to be dealt with and not protected

There you go, the Pope listened and gets rid of them

Aye, because a woman (the most disgusting thing imaginable to the RCC) was involved, not a child.

Until the last scumbag nonce priest is hanged/set on fire then nothing has been dealt with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I'd frolic with that...
    giggidy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

steve9859 wrote: »
    What exactly does 'frolicking' involve?! I must try it out with my girlfriend.....it sounds kind of fun!

Don't know exactly, but Bishop Brennan did a bit of it on that tape Jack found.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

Aye, because a woman (the most disgusting thing imaginable to the RCC) was involved, not a child.

Until the last scumbag nonce priest is hanged/set on fire then nothing has been dealt with.

is it safe to say your not a catholic? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Better a woman than a child I read in the paper, anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

How's the Son?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

All that sand

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Dr.Strange

They definitely should be allowed to Marry, it's totally unnatural for men to live a life of celebacy and inevitably attracts gays and deviants into the clergy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

He's done alright for himself,fairplay to him it's ridiculous they can't marry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

saiint wrote: »
    i agree, they should be allowed to marry , have sex and so on
    if they were, there would be "would of been" less child molesters in the catholic church
    Dr.Strange wrote: »
    They definitely should be allowed to Marry, it's totally unnatural for men to live a life of celebacy and inevitably attracts gays and deviants into the clergy.
    These are both pretty awful statements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

nice!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

I think the way the priesthood is structured and the way the state was set up attracted deviants to the position and both are equally to blame except for citizens/taxpayers who have to mop up after them.

Example the State owns most of the hospitals and schools BUT the RC church owns the land they are built under and the Roman Catholic church occupies key positions on the Boards of Management.

This is why people are campaigning for separation of church and state. IF you want to send your child to a religious school that is fine as long as they teach the prescribed subjects for the state exams but dont expect State subsidies.

I have nothing against homosexuals being part of the church in fact I welcome it , it shows openess and tolerance. however The church was set up so it couldnt be questioned from outside and had its own canon law run by the ecumenical question and talking shop crowd. These devients were going to get where they were anyways they just used the church as a vehicle.

These are both pretty awful statements

What I meant to say was that I reckon the Preisthood in Ireland attracted people feeling guilty about tendancies that they are repressing, rather than offering people who join a fulfilling life in all aspects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

Monsignor Fernando Maria Bargallo (57), pictured, handed in his notice after footage of him with Maria de las Victoria Martinez Bo, on a beach in Mexico, was made public.
    Silly cow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Daith

That's a ridiculous statement. Gay people have more sex than anyone else I know.

Daith wrote: »
    That's a ridiculous statement. Gay people have more sex than anyone else I know.

Using one sweeping generalisation to counter another sweeping generalisation doesn't make you right.

Though the point you're arguing against is very wrong too.

Using one sweeping generalisation to counter another sweeping generalisation doesn't make you right.

What's wrong with the point I made?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Daith

Eh this is AH. Wasn't exactly arguing anything. Let the Bishop have a life ffs :)

What's wrong with the point I made?

The notion that priests not being allowed to marry attracts "gays and deviants" to the clergy is preposterous in itself.

Daith wrote: »
    Eh this is AH. Wasn't exactly arguing anything.
    Heh, true.

Let the Bishop have a life ffs

Aye, let the por aul divvil ride away.

• Advertisement

The notion that priests not being allowed to marry attracts "gays and deviants" to the clergy is preposterous in itself.

So you don't think it's possible that young men who feel riddled with guilt due to a Catholic upbringing would feel the urge to join the Church as a means to try and rid themselves of the guilt they feel and live a 'holy' life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

If the CC allowed priests to marry it would eventually have to condone divorce.

The biggest stumbling block I imagine is that ex-wives would then have a claim on church property and would be entitled to maintenance. Would the church or state be laible for that?

So you don't think it's possible that young men who feel riddled with guilt due to a Catholic upbringing would feel the urge to join the Church as a means to try and rid themselves of the guilt they feel and live a 'holy' life?

Sure anything is possible. You however, said it was inevitable.

You're also now switching the focus from them being somehow influenced by not being allowed to marry to "catholic guilt."

I think this may have been an issue years ago, when those who didn't marry were viewed as 'odd', and this would have been a viable option.

Sure anything is possible."

Oh no it isn't.
    You however, said it was inevitable."

It is inevitable that gays and deviants will join the preisthood due to guilt.
    Granted, not nearly so much now now as it was in the past.
    You're also now switching the focus from them being somehow influenced by not being allowed to marry to "catholic guilt."

It is also inevitable that the numbers of Priests will continue to decline until they are allowed to marry, even then, the numbers will not be high.

It is inevitable that gays and deviants will join the preisthood due to guilt.
    Granted, not nearly so much now now as it was in the past.

Thats fair enough,but thats not what I took you up on initially.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

If the CC allowed priests to marry it would eventually have to condone divorce.

The biggest stumbling block I imagine is that ex-wives would then have a claim on church property and would be entitled to maintenance. Would the church or state be laible for that?

no as said above many other religious groups allow their clergymen to marry.. the church retains ownership of the property. the cc should examine the models other churches use when it comes to marriage and divorce amongst clergy.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

I hope after he throws off the silly hat and resigns that he runs down to the beach and frollicks with his girlfriend and lives happley ever after.

Thats fair enough,but thats not what I took you up on initially.

So my staement went from being preposterous to fair enough?!

no as said above many other religious groups allow their clergymen to marry.. the church retains ownership of the property. the cc should examine the models other churches use when it comes to marriage and divorce amongst clergy.

But the CC cannot condone divorce - it views marriage as being sacred. Allowing priests, nuns etc to marry would mean it would have to completely change a lot of it's ideologies. It would be impossible to do this and maintain whatever credibility it still has.

I was in the company of a priest there a short while ago at a wedding (Yes I got put in the cheap seat). This guy had started his own commune with permission from a now disgraced bishop. Total power trip. Is this the man you want in your church

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

fair play to him, he's only doing what any man would do

fair play to him, he's only doing what any man would do

there was no telephone access you had to give up your dole and working on a farm and prayer with no TV , living in a remote place. Alarm bells are ringing does anyone thing "Cult". The disgraced Bishop was covering up for pedophiles and openly ignoring the law of the land.

But the CC cannot condone divorce - it views marriage as being sacred. Allowing priests, nuns etc to marry would mean it would have to completely change a lot of it's ideologies. It would be impossible to do this and maintain whatever credibility it still has.

the cc must adapt or die.... literally!!!! the priests are dying off and not being replaced quick enough....

in 50 years the cc will be dead if it refuses to adapt to modern standards.

it also has no credibility anymore for most people... they molested the sh!t out that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I think one thing you guys seem to be missing in all of this is they sure do have long names over there.

the cc must adapt or die.... literally!!!! the priests are dying off and not being replaced quick enough....

in 50 years the cc will be dead if it refuses to adapt to modern standards.

it also has no credibility anymore for most people... they molested the sh!t out that.

But how does a man made organisation justify changing what it claims are divine laws? It cannot have a 360 degree shift of it's 'rules' in such a short period of time.

But how does a man made organisation justify changing what it claims are divine laws? It cannot have a 360 degree shift of it's 'rules' in such a short period of time.

it has no choice. adapt now or die simples.

if they have no new priests signing up to preach the lord's word then how can it maintain the flock?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭android1

Bang tidy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

hmmmmmmmmmmmm period of time you say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

As they say when someone lets rip an unplanned fart: it could happen to a bishop.:D:D

Fair play to him, I say. She's an adult woman, a pretty good-looking one at that, and I'd be happy to frolic with her any time. ;);)

I suppose he got the heave because he broke the Eleventh Commandment: Don't get caught.:rolleyes:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-F3XvS_NC6Ww/T-XpImUIoPI/AAAAAAAAV4Y/o5DEFQFn5jI/s320/Iglesia%2BMons.%2BFernando%2BMaria%2BBargallo%2B3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Pressure priests in normal heterosexual relationships to resign, protect child abusers. Way to go, RCC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement