Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilbarrack - Good or Bad?

Options
  • 27-06-2012 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Thinking of buying a property near the DART station in Kilbarrack. Looking for some opinions on the area in general. Will probably be renting the place out so will be relying on others agreeing to live there.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Roxee

Which side of the Dart line? The side near the shopping centre or the far side near Greendale/Briarfield?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Personally it wouldn't matter which side, it is not a good area IMHO. Some nice people live there but lots of social issues in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Roxee

Do you live in the area, Ray? It kinda does make a difference which side of the tracks.

If it's Grange Park estate, that's one matter. If it's Briarfield Road area that's another.

Either way, it's not exactly leafy D6 but it's not as bad as it used to be since the flats are gone. It's not exactly Broombridge station :)

Trig83, I grew up not far from there and Kilbarrack was my local Dart station, so that's what my opinion is based on.

But as I say, it's hard to say for definite without knowing where exactly you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 trig83

Roxee wrote: »
    Do you live in the area, Ray? It kinda does make a difference which side of the tracks.

If it's Grange Park estate, that's one matter. If it's Briarfield Road area that's another.

Either way, it's not exactly leafy D6 but it's not as bad as it used to be since the flats are gone. It's not exactly Broombridge station :)

Trig83, I grew up not far from there and Kilbarrack was my local Dart station, so that's what my opinion is based on.

But as I say, it's hard to say for definite without knowing where exactly you mean.

The place I'm looking at is to the south of the tracks i.e near the Briarfield Road area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Its a long time since i knew that area but it was plenty rough 20 years ago..dont forget there's a big shopping centre and dole office round the corner so be carefull,check it out a few times during the day and also at night to get a better feel for the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Sillysod

I was thinking of looking at a place in Briarfield Grove is this area rough? The asking price is quite a bit lower than a place I had in mind in Grange Park View, Raheny which is just across the tracks. Is the area that much rougher or would the difference more likely be having Raheny rather than Kilbarrack in the address.

I'm looking at a place in Grange Park View, the address says Raheny but it's right beside the Kilbarrack Shopping centre and Dart, so guess it's Kilbarrack. What's this end of Kilbarrack like? any opinions appreciated. We are starting a family and are looking for a nice place to buy our first house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Have you seen "The Snapper"?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Your impression or 'understanding' of this area depends hugely on your own home area.
    Tell us where you're from and we could give you a better idea.

Have you seen "The Snapper"?

Georgie Burgess??

Yeah, didn't realise that was Kilbarrack will have to watch it again.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Your impression or 'understanding' of this area depends hugely on your own home area.
    Tell us where you're from and we could give you a better idea.

Well I from the West of Ireland and grew up in semi-countryside. Have been renting an Apartment in Dublin city centre for a few years and renting in places like Rathmines, Portobello, Drumcondra previously. I would be looking for a "modern" house and a lot of the places I have rented the housing stock would be on the older and/or more expensive side.

Something semi-detached with a garden would be nice, nothing too spectacular. I'm not very familiar with Dublin other than the specific areas in which I have lived, and would not want to raise children in the city centre. Somewhere safe with access, decent schools and green spaces would be important.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Sillysod wrote: »
    I'm looking at a place in Grange Park View, the address says Raheny but it's right beside the Kilbarrack Shopping centre and Dart, so guess it's Kilbarrack. What's this end of Kilbarrack like? any opinions appreciated. We are starting a family and are looking for a nice place to buy our first house.

I lived there in the 70s and 80s and it was always considered Raheny. Not the nicest part of Raheny in comparison to the likes of the Blackbanks etc., but it was ok. The houses were built in 1968 and predate the Kilbarrack shopping centre, and Swans Nest for that matter.

I lived in a 3 bed somewhere in the middle, the houses were fine, a decent size for a 3 bed in comparison to what followed. I have heard of incidents of damp depending on which way the house was orientated. If I was looking to move back again, I would really only be looking at the 4 beds (if I could afford to) as I always thought that part of Grange Park far nicer.

Some of the surrounding areas were very rough and downright dangerous back then (I was randomly attacked a couple of times trying to cross the railway bridge for instance - and that was a very common occurrence back then), and there were a number of serious incidents generally revolving around the flats which have now been demolished.

I would assume that these areas have quietened down at this point, but haven't been back beyond the odd nostalgic drive thru' in 20 years. I don't think some of the schools are all that good either...

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Hepsie

I understand this post is a year old but was wondering if anyone can give me an idea as to what parts of Kilbarrack are good or bad. Our children have the option to attend North Bay Educate Together... so feedback on school is very welcome. Also do most kids who attend that school reside locally or is it the norm to live in places like Clontarf, Howth, etc and just commute.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jajaja

I have been living in the Briarfield Road for the last 9 years, but havent experienced any 'problem' so far apart from minor issues like kids knocking on the door for fun, which has quietened down a lot after talking to kids' parents. This kind of issues happen anywhere.

In the last 9 years the occupants of this area changed a lot as well with new people coming to the area with property buy/sale.

People still give this area bad rating because of its history of 30-40 or so years ago; I don't know. I am not saying it is the best area but not as bad as many say and believe here in this forum or elsewhere. If you think about it there have been a few criminal activities reported in the so called good areas like clontarf, killester and raheny but none I can remember of in Kilbarrack in this 9 year period.

Educate Together is a very good school kids coming from neighboring areas as well as from clontarf, killester, Sutton and Artane.

Irish school, School Eoin and Bayside school are other school options. I don't rate school Eoin much but other schools are good as far as I am aware.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

My grandad has lived in the Briarfield estate for over 30 years. It's a lovely area, quiet and a stones throw from the dart.

Advertisement