Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help mortgage nightmare with ex

Options
  • 27-06-2012 9:36am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi so here is my story. Have a house with ex, its rented out and we both pay the rest of the mortgage the rent doesn’t cover. I’m going through hell with my ex last month I had to fork out for a new fridge and a mattress, I was told to tell the tenants to buy it themselves which is ridiculous! He didn’t give me a penny. Now this month he is accusing the previous tenants of stealing wait for it..LEGO from the attic that he owned. He asked me to ask them did they take it and they swear they didn’t. So now he blames me as I picked the tenants basically. He’s now saying f*ck you they can pay his share of the mortgage. I can’t handle this stress anymore I don’t have the money to pay his share and I spoke to a solicitor briefly they reckon it’ll be very costly to bring him to court. Is there anything I can do can I talk to the bank and arrange a new payment I can afford. I’m so worried about my name being black listed. He doesn’t care what happens his attitude is let them bring him to court whatever. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭coolabula

You really need to formally speak to a solicitor or your bank to see where you stand.
    Keep track of all your expenses, like the mattress etc, and keep records of your mortgage payments and times where he has left you short.

I would imagine the best thing for you would be to have his name removed from the deeds but the bank would only to that if you could afford the mortgage by yourself, and as far as I am aware they dont really like doing that.
    Having said that if he is not interested in the property, he might be willing to sign his share over to you, again you would need to seek formal legal advice.

Good luck, and remember he is an ex for a reason, so try not to let him get you down :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭SineadMarie

All my money has gone into that house and any repair work etc. I don't have the money for solicitors to be honest not yet anyway. The house is is serious NE. I doubt the bank will let me take over the mortgage alone but then i don't want that either as i'm left with his debt aswell as mine. I'm just at my wits end :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Ex husband or boyfriend? Makes a difference.
    Anyway you are jointly responsible and you cannot remove him from the deeds as suggested. You are tied to him via the property. You need to get full legal advice. Best thing is use a mediator to come to an agreement and have it signed and binding.
    It is probably the only form of protection you can get cheaply.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭SineadMarie

bf. theres no talking to him he doesnt want to know

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

bf. theres no talking to him he doesnt want to know

This will cost you, the sooner you make him formally aware that he has to pay some of the costs the better.

Call MABS or the other voluntary advise services in the first instance but I think you need a solicitor NOW. A clever solicitor will make all this work to your advantage when you take full control of the arrangement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Arrange a meeting with your lender.
    Formally invite the ex boyfriend.
    Outline the full situation to the bank - the rental income, the shortfall, the ex bf unwilling to assist etc. Have it in writing - briefly and to the point.
    Tell them you want house sold and the NE turned into two separate personal loans and if they will not accomodate you, threaten to abscond.

Advertisement