Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House training my pup

• 27-06-2012 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Well, ive tried most things, from when i first got him, but he is impossible to house train, there is no order to it either so i cant wake up at certain hours and bring him outside, he just goes when and wherever he wants, so ive 2 options

1- I have a about 10sq metres in the garden that has a roof over it, i could get a kennel and leave him outside over night

2- Buy a cage like i have in the back of the jeep for at home, and lock him in that over night?? he is already very good at not doing anything in his bed or in cage in jeep

He comes into work with me and is very good in work, has a 5 metre lead and will 9 times out of 10 go outside for his business, then get back into his bed

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

How old is your dog?

What kind of training routine do you have? You have to be very serious and stick to it for a few months until he gets the hang of it. Crate training really helps so i highly suggest that.

But you cant just lock him in over night and hope that works. It takes effort, time, patience so you need to put the work in.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mcquaid1

He's 13 weeks old

Ok, well that tells a lot. At 13 weeks old he cannot hold it very long, so when he needs to go, he just will. His bladder isnt strong enough yet to hold it very long so you need to be very patient.

It can take months to fully house train a pup so expecting a 13 week old pup to know what to do is very unfair.

I suggest you do some reading on crate training and go from there.

You need to show him where to go and reward him for going outside. Its all about repetition and reward and he will get the hang of it after a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Hooked

+ 1million for crate training...

My Husky is out all day, crated indoors at night...

In at lunch to be fed in his open crate.

He eats all his indoor meals there and is told "go to bed"
    when the door rings or guest are let in... or if I need to
    work or do something while he's indoors.

NEVER soils or wets himself in his crate.

We bring the crate on holidays so he has his "room".

I nearly didnt crate train him and it's bar far the
    best decision we made with him!

Best of luck whatever you decide...

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Ditto on the crate training! Came on to boards and was (foolishly) admament that I wasnt going to use crate training. After two weeks of no sleep because the pup was up and roaming the kitchen, and a kitchen floor was being used as a toilet we opted for crate training.

We have had the odd accident in the house but it has only been a few months so we are getting there. Little guy even heads to the back door and stands there looking back at us when he wants out to go now.

He also treats the crate like a den, his own little space (which it is) and potters in and out of it to his hearts content. Has never soiled it and he sleeps in it all night. He often goes in at points during the evening when he just wants a bit of quiet time.

I would say make sure you get a crate big enough for him when he is fully grown otherwise you will be spending a lot of money replacing crates as the dog grows. We have used a bit of cardboard (actually from the box of the crate) to block off part of the crate so he couldnt 'go' in the corner and then sleep at the other end away from it. We move the cardboard as he grows and eventually when we havent had any accidents for a number of months we will take it out fully.

Also reward the dog when he 'goes' outside. Lots of excited 'good boy/girl' and a little treat for when they are finished. Make sure to give the treat AS SOON as the dog is finished going as you want to associate getting a reward with toileting in this particular place. If you want you can also repeat a phrase while the dog is going to the toilet as in a few months you should be able to make the dog 'go' on command. We opted for 'go pee' now when Frodo hears this he potters to his spot in the garden to go. Handy if you are going out and want the dog to 'go' before you put him the crate so he isnt holding it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

+1 for crate training here too. As andreac said, it can take months to fully house train a pup. Mine is 10 months old and it's only in the last month or two that I've begun to trust him 100% around the house. And he still sleeps in his crate at night.

At 13 weeks your pup is too young to hold it in overnight so you'll have to get up once during the night, quickly let him out to pee and immediately put him back in his crate when he's done. No playing or attention, just peeing. You'll probably need to do this until he's 4, maybe even 5 months old. By then he should be able to hold it for 7 or 8 hours. It's a pain having to get up - I did it for 2 months when I got my pup but he only had one accident during the night.

Make sure the crate isn't too big - he needs just enough space to sleep comfortably in - otherwise he'll just walk to the other end for a pee. I would suggest getting a crate that will fit him when he's an adult and block some of it off while he's young.

It'll take a bit of work but you'll get there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Bambii_

When I was training my pup I bought these for her.

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=13352&langId=111&searchTerms=Puppy+pads&authToken=

During the day let her outside to do her business and put one of these down at night. Put it in the same spot each night and she'll go back there. Eventually she will just get used to using that spot during the night and you can use the cheaper option of newspaper and just leave that down for her :)

Bambii_ wrote: »
    When I was training my pup I bought these for her.

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=13352&langId=111&searchTerms=Puppy+pads&authToken=

During the day let her outside to do her business and put one of these down at night. Put it in the same spot each night and she'll go back there. Eventually she will just get used to using that spot during the night and you can use the cheaper option of newspaper and just leave that down for her :)

To be honest i never encourage or advise using paper/mats in the house as it only confuses the pup and takes longer to train. You either want them to go outside or you dont.

Its very unfair to expect a pup to go outside, but then allow it to go in the house as well, they dont understand what exactly you want.

So therefore its always outside from the word go.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Bambii_

andreac wrote: »
    To be honest i never encourage or advise using paper/mats in the house as it only confuses the pup and takes longer to train. You either want them to go outside or you dont.

Its very unfair to expect a pup to go outside, but then allow it to go in the house as well, they dont understand what exactly you want.

So therefore its always outside from the word go.

You can't really expect them to wait all night either tbh. And I found it didn't take any longer than one training their dog to just go outside. My dog knows to go outside during the day and at night when the paper is down she knows to use that.

It's just another option to look into :)

No, of course not, thats why you need to get up during the night to let the pup out to the toilet, then gradually extend the time out until the morning when their bladder is strong enough to hold it in all night.

Its just very confusing if you allow a pup to go inside but you are training them to go outside, its either in or out, pups dont think logically.

• Advertisement
Advertisement