Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this paint ok for wood

• 27-06-2012 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

I bought this to paint some masonry on the house. We have a small wood design on the front of the house and I need to paint it. Its only the four pieces of wood in the middle of the pic below. I dont want to buy more paint for this if I dont need to. We are exposed to the sea and the gloss paint we have used in the past peals off after a short time.

Screen_shot_2012_06_27_at_094449.png

H153652.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

No, myself, I wouldent use it, its for brick and wont adhere to the wood surface properly. Especially if you live near the sea, harsh conditions, salt rain etc, I'd do it properly, it will last longer. Why don't you get the paint that says 'one coat gloss, undercoat included' . I'm sure you could bring that other stuff back and exchange it?

Cheers

Rich

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You need an outdoor wood paint,as masonary paint wont work on wooden facia like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Prepare the wood surface properly too, that means sanding. No paint will last if the coats below are not adhering.
    Depending on the condition of the existing paint you might need to sand back to bare wood and prime. Apply a number of top coats, allow each coat to dry and sand lightly between coats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

pvc it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

pvc it

Got all the wood PVCed a few years ago. Don't ask me why we missed this bit. The plan is to PVC it next year. Just look for a cheap way out this year withe paint we have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭bazmak

use e.s.p or dulux super grip primer on the timber first then the weather clad should be ok ! :D

Advertisement