Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I download and play a game at the same time?

Options
  • 27-06-2012 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Im currently downloading the mass effect extended cut can I play a game while its doing this or will it just stop the download?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

Pretty sure Steam automatically pauses any downloads when you start playing a game. I'd say you can turn that off in settings though if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

What system are you running? I know xbox automatically pauses and only certain games allow downloads to run in the background on ps3.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

Sorry should have said its on XBL.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's hit and miss on Xbox (compared to almost entirely miss on PS3). Many games with a heavy online element - background or otherwise - won't let you download. But many single player games do. I'm often surprised playing some games when the 'download complete' message pops up.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

I didn't chance it in the end its taking long enough,

1.85GB and its been on since 10 and It's now 92% complete.

Torture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 jate3d9u1qxmwc

On Xbox the console will pause downloads when you start to play a game that connects to a server ie. Cerberus Network where as if you play a game such as Skyrim it will continue in the background.

Advertisement