Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated look for the site.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Boards.ie: Tony

Nuno wrote: »
    What Res are you running your browser at?[/QUOTE

Running at 1600 X 1200 and I don't see the 'Tech' category

Can you, while the browser is at that res, refresh and see if it's there.

Also, just to confirm, when Tech isn't there for you, move your mouse to below the upper left of the boards logo and see if it's there.

I think it could be a wrapping bug, but if you're consistently browsing at that res, and not resizing your browser, then there really shouldn't be any issues with wrapping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

How do you get to your public profile page?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Quick update for you Firefox fans, your page down/up should now be functioning :) Thanks very much for the bug report

Danny

EchoO wrote: »

Click your username up in the header

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Click on your username beside your avatar in the top right hand corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Nah sorry, it's gack..all brightness, high contrast and sharp edges.

lumping PM's into general notifications is my brown M&M moment. If that's wrong f**k knows what other silliness has slipped through

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

Click on your username in the header (top right, beside your avatar)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I am another user who does not like it. I might be wrong but I seem to recall someone saying (Possibly Dav) that at some point the choice of skins/layouts would be removed, will this be the case? If so will this new look be the default one for everyone?

If so that would be a huge shame, it would be like Facebook and their "We don't care what you actually want this is what we are giving you" attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Bambi wrote: »
    lumping PM's into general notifications is my brown M&M moment. If that's wrong f**k knows what other silliness has slipped through

Ah yeah, that's the spirit :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

how do i turn it off?

Click on your username in the header (top right, beside your avatar)

Maybe I'm missing something very obvious here, I can see how you get to your cp page - but not your public profile page i.e. stats page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Maybe I'm missing something very obvious here, I can see how you get to your cp page - but not your public profile page i.e. stats page.

Click on your user-name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

+1 for the lack of dropdown sub menus :(

Click on your user-name.

Ah, cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Your profile page is not the stats page, it's all of the things you see when you click that link.

You should have several tabs on your profile page. One of them is the Statistics tab you're looking for :)
    pbowenroe wrote: »
    how do i turn it off?

Read all of the first post, specifically the line at the very end. But before you go, any chance of giving us some feedback on why you're in such a rush?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Nuno

Can you, while the browser is at that res, refresh and see if it's there.

Also, just to confirm, when Tech isn't there for you, move your mouse to below the upper left of the boards logo and see if it's there.

I think it could be a wrapping bug, but if you're consistently browsing at that res, and not resizing your browser, then there really shouldn't be any issues with wrapping.

You're right... I found the Tech category underneath the Boards.ie category. I closed the browser completely and restarted and made it full screen. Navigated to Boards.ie and the Tech is still wrapping around to display underneath the Boards.ie category.

Am running Firefox ESR 10.0.3... Will try it out in a non ESR version when I get home from work and see if that's the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Really like the notification icon. Got a PM there and the little white box appeared

I didn't get a giant text box informing me i had a PM, the new way is easily noticeable without being intrusive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

how do I put it back?

(btw, I'll be closing my account if it ends up like that)

bye bye!
    did you leave facebook when they changed their interface? you get used to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Well I must say, I really hate it.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I really like, however, I use the black skin because it's easier on the eyes... how can I continue in this new format but keep my colour scheme?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Well I must say, I really hate it.

Yeh, might take some getting used to but I prefer the older version skin . . Is it possible to revert back ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Boards.ie: Tony

You're right... I found the Tech category underneath the Boards.ie category. I closed the browser completely and restarted and made it full screen. Navigated to Boards.ie and the Tech is still wrapping around to display underneath the Boards.ie category.

Am running Firefox ESR 10.0.3... Will try it out in a non ESR version when I get home from work and see if that's the issue.

Please do.
    We're going to investigate this further here as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

my eyes MY EYES!!!!! how do i control the colour of the damn thing? it's far too bright for me. and everything looks bigger and clunkier. i don't like it. i don't like it daddy, take it away.

but hey, i'm irish, i'll be used to it in about an hour and forget what it looked like before. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Drumpot wrote: »
    Yeh, might take some getting used to but I prefer the older version skin . . Is it possible to revert back ?

Yeah I've just done it.

There's a link at the end of the first post in the thread.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Only read through this thread since changing so may come back with more feedback.

Initial reaction re. the design is it is fine for the most part. However the floating header is far too big. There is absolutely no need for the boards logo in it. The floating header in the old beta was much nicer. Not mad on the see through bar for the breadcrumbs either.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Why do you ask?

Because I want to know.
    It was both internally tested and externally tested (using local and online services).

What services?

All moderators have had access and have been giving feed back to us for over 2 weeks now (and they would have vast experience on the site).

Glad to hear it that would be one of the sections of the user base to have a fair ammount of experience both in terms of years and in terms of hours spent on the site per week.

The goal of the new skin / interface is to make the site more usable

More usable by whom?

I honestly worry when I look at it, and see less information/content on my screen and less functionality that the site is being dumbed down to be less bewildering to the likes of facebook users, that only use the internet for that and very little else.

I dislike the over simplifaction of sites which equals to the hiding away of functionality ( or worse removing it) as to not bewilder new users, which only irks the current user base.
    and bring it more in line with various standards / design standards in the industry.

Which standards are these?
    Can you link to them or is it a case of this is just what everyone is doing now?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I like it

will there be an option to change the skin colour?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

The top of the page is much better now - like the large buttons instead of small font.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 arcadefalls

Nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I like it so far. Big fan of the new drop downs.

My very first reaction was that the header bar was too big and the white catagories bar isn't great looking. But realistically it doesn't really bother me and I'll be used to it in no time.

It feels a bit neater which I like

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement