Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated look for the site.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

How do I look at my thanks?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ok.. I've tried it...

Win 7 Enterprise
    Google Chrome
    1280x800 (native display) and 1920x1080 (external monitor)

Observations..
    - FAR too bright. Even with a filter on my laptop screen it's STILL bright
    - Too much wasted space
    - Buttons are far too big
    - Text doesn't resize correctly anymore in smaller windows
    - I like the new menu structure, but the floating bar eats into the (as above) already underused display area

It seems to me that the Admins are taking the same approach to the "new Boards", that Microsoft is taking to the upcoming Windows 8 - this "one size fits all" approach to the UI.

Yes this new layout is grand if I'm on a tablet or a phone I suppose but we already have a mobile/touch site for that.

Since when did having a full keyboard and a mouse (and being quite happy with them) become the computing equivalent of leprosy?

I've switched back. If this is the future then I hope it's optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

How do I switch back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Samich wrote: »
    How do I look at my thanks?

Click on your name on the top right and then the statistics tab as per usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Boards.ie: Tony

TheDoc wrote: »
    Well after a mornings use

1) I'm still not liking the cap at 1400. I'm used to having forums and emails the width of my monitor. While it might be some industry research that it becomes negative past 1400, it should be an option for each user. I'm sure that research was probably done on casual light users and not power users that frequent a forum ever day. I'd look into allowing an option for users to expand to more width.

2) I quickly adapted and appreciated the search bar. Its actually pretty good. I dont know why people are moaning about the menus not expanding, when you can literally type in your forum and go. It prios forums which means I'm typically just typing the forum name and hitting return and I'm there. It has a decent auto completion function but it is a little slow, maybe with some better indexing it can get faster.

Definitly try the search box to get into your forums, its good.

3) I've also utilised the "My forums" quick tab and the "USERCP" tab up the top right. I like their layout, think they are excellent and quickly allow me to get to threads where I'm following or new replies are in.

4) Keyboard shortcuts. Are these new? I did the age old accidently hitting two keys and found it auto opened a reply box. Is there is a full list of these shortcuts, this looks amazing. I've been using the shortcut for quick reply all day, very good.

Overall I've adapted pretty quickly. I do have an issue with the 1400 width cap and hope it can be expanded for users who wish. I think one of the main focuses of any modern site driven by users is to allow customisation and modularity.

There is absolutely no way that you can get a one size fits all. Also, its laughable some of the stuff people are complaining abot. Real typical Irish against change stuff.

The "if its not broke don't fix it" is a horrible old acronym deployed by people with no ambition or desire to improve or better things.

I prefer the " if its good, make it better" when it comes to projects and web stuff, and there is absolutely no reason things cant get better and better. The old layout and site as a whole was ancient in comparison to the technologies and design of other community driven sites around the globe.

Good work, I'll be keeping this skin on, although if the 1400 width cap is something that is definitly not going to change I'll hope back. Regardless of any research or any nonsense like that, its actually a massive waste and there is no real justification for it.

By all means default the 1400 width cap, and allow an option for users to pull it wider.

I hope I've got my point across about how I dont like the 1400 cap.....

Thanks for the feedback TheDoc.
    Once we get through this round of feedback, I don't see why we can't see if something can be done about possibly adding a option to over-ride the 1400 limit! (not promises though! :P )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Ya-Boy-Ya wrote: »
    How do I switch back ?

There's a link at the bottom of the OP to switch back.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ya-Boy-Ya wrote: »
    How do I switch back ?

Link at bottom of first post.

PS Admins: This thread badly needs a poll:

- Yes like it, sticking with it
    - No, tried it, not for me
    - Think I'll get used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I've only had a quick look as I'm in work, but so far it's not bad.
    As has been said, I think it's far to big. There's a lot of wasted space.
    The floating header is too big also I think.
    I don't like the way when you mouse-over a forum in the "My Forums" list, it doesn't say who the last poster was. It just says "51mins ago" etc. The same goes for POTD. On the old layout it always said who the last poster was.
    They're only small gripes though.
    I do like the fresh look of it. If it was tidied up size-wise I think it'd be really good.
    I'll have a proper look around later when I'm home. Good work! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

PS Admins: This thread badly needs a poll:

- Yes like it, sticking with it
    - No, tried it, not for me
    - Think I'll get used to it

I think the number of thanks the OP got (211) vs mine in post #9 (67) suggests that about a quarter of users don't like it, which is alot of your members to alienate.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

Neeson wrote: »
    There's a link at the bottom of the OP to switch back.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

Thanks lads

• Advertisement

I'm quite vain; I like being able to click on my username to bring to go to my profile, so I can see what posts have been liked. Is there any way to change it so that when you click on your avatar, it brings you to your own profile rather than to changing your avatar?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

Dav wrote: »
    General Design - We’ve increased the amount of padding around elements around the site to make it easier on the eye and easier to read. Because we’ve tightened up the header, the amount of content that you see on screen is generally the same as the old version of Boards.ie.

If I compare your post in both the old and new design, I can read more of the post on the old design without scrolling.

The fixed size bar at the top uses a lot of screen estate on netbooks.

Is there a way to stop it from floating on top always? The content of boards is the important thing for me, not access to a searchbox. I can always scroll back up for that.

Can someone tell me where the wasted space is??? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Thanks for the feedback TheDoc.
    Once we get through this round of feedback, I don't see why we can't see if something can be done about possibly adding a option to over-ride the 1400 limit! (not promises though! :P )

After a pretty intensive first days use, thats the only gripe.

Un stickying the top bar has made things alot easier since I have a shortcut to bring me to the top of the page.

And with Paddy hopefully putting a list together of short cuts, there is enough "making life easier" functionality here to keep me using it.

Thanks for putting the effort in to reading and responding to the feedback.

For the time being, chrome users

CTRL+mousewheel down does a zoomout function, and suprisingly the new layout keeps sharpness up to a pretty large zoomout scale, which does make me think its a bit too big to start with, but zooming out has definitly made things better to read the last few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I'm quite vain; I like being able to click on my username to bring to go to my profile, so I can see what posts have been liked. Is there any way to change it so that when you click on your avatar, it brings you to your own profile rather than to changing your avatar?

Click your name rather than your avatar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Look in the mirror. :p

I think people are referring to if their browser isn't fully zoomed in; it gives it a narrow look. That's the way it was for me originally, until it was said that CTRL+zero can restore it to it's default and now it looks much better.

Dean09 wrote: »
    Click your name rather than your avatar.

I didn't even think of that - had assumed that feature was removed and just left with the dropdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

breathn wrote: »
    Is there a way to stop it from floating on top always?

Go here, scroll to the bottom of the page, tick the box beside "Disable sticky header", click Save.

I think people are referring to if their browser isn't fully zoomed in; it gives it a narrow look. That's the way it was for me originally, until it was said that CTRL+zero can restore it to it's default and now it looks much better.

I didn't even think of that - had assumed that feature was removed and just left with the dropdown.

I find the writing is too small anyways, much easier on the eye when zoomed in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CrazyFish

The new update is good only gripe I have with it is that the header follows you. Reduces my screen space to read posts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Boards.ie: Tony

CrazyFish wrote: »
    The new update is good only gripe I have with it is that the header follows you. Reduces my screen space to read posts.

See Here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79438482&postcount=469

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

CrazyFish wrote: »

It's been said many times on the thread now, you can turn it off ;)

Just take a look at Paddy's post that's two above yours :)

Danny

D'oh, I meant Zoomed out.

When it's zoomed out, this is how it looks:
    Clipboard01_37.jpg

so there does appear to be wasted space, but it's just that it's not at the default setting.

Actually, the embedding of photos does seem a tad off - that is 500 x 237 pixels, yet it seems much smaller?

Clipboard02_12.jpg
    just testing 800 x 373 pixels; on the photography forum the charter states that images should be kept less than 800pixels wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

i like the bigger buttons, bigger page number buttons too please? im forever clicking the wrong one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Love it shiny new buttons

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

bren50c wrote: »
    Tony thanks for replying. I think you're right. I tried using firefox and scrolling is fine.
    See screen:
    http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/4102/firefoxskin.jpg
    But chrome is telling me zoom is set to 100% and i have the scrolling issue...weird. Could it be a different font size in chrome or something. zoom set to 75 seems to make it look right in chrome

Same for me in that the posts are resizing themselves correctly in Firefox but not in Chrome.

D'oh, I meant Zoomed out.

When it's zoomed out, this is how it looks:
    Clipboard01_37.jpg

so there does appear to be wasted space, but it's just that it's not at the default setting.

Luckily I haven't experienced this, even zooming out it doesn't do it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I dont know lads,

Its like an inappropriate uncle that touches you at birthday parties.

Its ok but not great!

Also whay are them bookmarks doing at the bottom of the page? They should be gotten rid of :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Looks class. :cool: Fair play

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement