Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated look for the site.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Agree about the big boards.ie bar takes uo too much space.

I didn't like it either, but Dav did explicitly say the floating can be disabled quite easily. I turned it off, but appreciate the choice that it's there if I want it. I could especially see it being useful on a tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Am I just missing it or is the "New Posts" button gone ?

Dont like the boards.ie bar on top either...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Sarn

I like the header when it is unstuck. As a user of one of the black skins it is currently too bright (but this also applies to the current default).

I don't like the fact that posts take up more space. I can only display two single line posts at my current resolution, compared to three with the old version. Personally, I prefer a more condensed view and would prefer less wasted space.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

It looks good but I am unable to close threads with the new skin

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

You can reinstall IE8 if you like. Go to Control Panel -> Add Remove Programs -> Tick the 'Show Updates' box at the top and then remove IE8. Then re-run Windows Update to reinstall. It definitely seems like you have an issue related to the install of IE8 on your machine. The usual caveats apply - back up your favourites etc :)
    That was done some weeks ago when another site wouldn't display anything. Didn't make any difference. A more thorough uninstall and re-install had no effect which is why I suspect a registry entry needs some attention.
    Meanwhile [Old]Beta is ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

DeBurca wrote: »
    It looks good but I am unable to close threads with the new skin

Could you elaborate? Just closed a thread in test there without any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Loving it, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

2qk4u wrote: »
    Am I just missing it or is the "New Posts" button gone ?

Dont like the boards.ie bar on top either...

Am I correct in saying that the only way to see New posts I.e. across all forums, is to click first on the My Forums tab and then click on the "latest posts" tab ?

If so, this is a big disappointment. I liked the New posts on the top of the page

Cicero wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying that the only way to see New posts I.e. across all forums, is to click first on the My Forums tab and then click on the "latest posts" tab ?

If so, this is a big disappointment. I liked the New posts on the top of the page

Just click on "Home" should list the latest posts by default?

In any case, we were genuinely surprised at the number of people who miss this feature so we will most likely add it back in. Would you be happy with it being in the boards.ie menu, under post/thread of the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

In my own opinion anybody who has an issue with Adblock on Boards doesn't deserve any time. Why should it be fixed when you won't even support the site via ad revenue? The mind actually boggles at the cheek to be honest. Ross used to ban people around here who admitted to using AdBlock on Boards, they were doing him out of a salary.

I was anticipating this response - you'll notice I've subscribed, and it isn't the first time.

• Advertisement

Cicero wrote: »

I found it much more user friendly to just hit "Forums" and then "New Posts" as it brings to whats new obviously but also to topics that are most recently active.
    Ive managed to switch back to the older version but wont be impressed if the new one is made permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Sarn wrote: »
    I don't like the fact that posts take up more space. I can only display two single line posts at my current resolution, compared to three with the old version. Personally, I prefer a more condensed view and would prefer less wasted space.

That's an idea actually - maybe for shorter posts, they should collapse until just the username and avatar are visible, and they can be expanded with a click on the post title bar if needed.

Just click on "Home" should list the latest posts by default?

In any case, we were genuinely surprised at the number of people who miss this feature so we will most likely add it back in. Would you be happy with it being in the boards.ie menu, under post/thread of the day?

NO... get rid of the Boards.ie bar aswell..
    Stop complicating things, leave it alone. People are inclined to leave forums if they become to difficult to navigate..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

How do I mark all forums read? I keep getting a notification that I have one followed thread with an update but I can't find it. I logged this as a bug on this thread but it's happening on Safari on my iPad too, so I think it might be my account somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Earthhorse wrote: »
    How do I mark all forums read? I keep getting a notification that I have one followed thread with an update but I can't find it. I logged this as a bug on this thread but it's happening on Safari on my iPad too, so I think it might be my account somehow.

The very bottom of the forum index (Menu -> Boards.ie -> Forum Index). There's a link there to mark all forums read above the "What's Going On?" box :)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭eezarthegreat

Sorry Dav, dont like it at all - looks like something from '99

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

I prefer the old look.

The old look was more curvy and slick, this looks crude and brash. A step backwards.

The colors especially are not cool like they used to be. :(

The size of many of the on-screen buttons like "Post Reply", "Unfollow", "Edit" etc. is far too big and really ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

A button that's easily accessible for both New Posts and for User CP that isn't off somewhere is what I'd love to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

TPD wrote: »
    I was anticipating this response - you'll notice I've subscribed, and it isn't the first time.

Do you not think it a valid response? I wouldn't have posted what I did had I seen you were a subscriber. I didn't notice you were because you have "Registered User" as your user title, and don't have the 5 star pips that are given to subscribers. In that case I would have told you subscribers get a user option to turn off advertisements without resorting to Adblock
    Quazzie wrote: »
    A button that's easily accessible for both New Posts and for User CP that isn't off somewhere is what I'd love to see.

And a button for Mark Forums Read, and for X, Y, Z and before you know it we're back to White/Blue/Cloud style clutter :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

My ability to sleep while reading prohibits me from going back over the thread to see if anyone mentioned .......... Would be really handy if when you click on "My Threads" the ones with new posts were highlighted .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

BX 19 wrote: »
    Its a bit buggy on the Ipad with iOS5.1. The drop down menu beside your profile pic drops down but none of the links work.

+ 1 for this. Really annoying. Other than that, I like it lots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

No never used to be honest, i mostly use the my forums to quickly jump from one to another , though i tested it and seems to be working really nice :)

Earthhorse wrote: »

The very bottom of the forum index (Menu -> Boards.ie -> Forum Index). There's a link there to mark all forums read above the "What's Going On?" box :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I think it's much cleaner and actually looks very similar to the modern facebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

I like it. Nice job.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I actually don't see much difference - is it because I have the wrong browser? Someone mentioned earlier that it doesn't work on IE7 which I think is what I have!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

I think this is an abomination and wash my hands clean of this and all the people who I think the site will lose because of it.

But whatever you do please keep the old skin for people who want to switch back to it.

I think this is an abomination and wash my hands clean of this and all the people who I think the site will lose because of it.

But whatever you do please keep the old skin for people who want to switch back to it.

Any chance you want to provide us with some more constructive feedback? I'm not quite sure calling the style "an abomination" is something we can work off :)

Danny

I respect your opinion. Design is mostly subjective and everyone will react differently and there is no objective "right way".

However I think people forget what the web actually looked like in '99.

Here's what boards like like in '01 for example:

http://web.archive.org/web/200101182118/http://www.boards.ie/

http://web.archive.org/web/200101191021/http://www.boards.ie/bulletin/Forum1/HTML/000003.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Gone from there, but not from view. Look over to the right beside your Avatar & Username. A nice new My Forums dropdown :)

Not the same link I'm afraid. When you click the My Forums link, it takes you back to the page where you've three options (Latest Posts, My Forums, My Threads) and you're on the My Forums tab. You have to click again to see the threads you're following over on the My Threads tab.

On the old beta skin, the dropdown boards.ie menu had a My Threads link that brought you directly to the correct tab.

I know it's a minor issue, but when you're used to getting back to your subscribed threads in one fast click, it feels like the end of the world when it now takes two. :(

On a positive note, I love the new colours. (Mainly because I use inverted colours, so while everyone else is finding it too bright, I've got a lovely dark screen :) )

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement