Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated look for the site.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Mixed views on this.

1: Is the new skin mean to have to same functionality as the old one as it doesn't seem too. On the old Skin I can Hover over the Business Forum and the link will expand to show the other sub forums. Doesn't work in the new skin

2: Open a browser approx 75% of a full screen browser. In the new skin view the region forum. The first column is displayed off screen so you can't see all fo the forums. Doesn't happen on the old one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I like it for the most part, but I'd like to be able to toggle the header to be static rather than move with the page, and a bit of a reduction in padding.

Other than that, I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Do you not think it a valid response? I wouldn't have posted what I did had I seen you were a subscriber. I didn't notice you were because you have "Registered User" as your user title, and don't have the 5 star pips that are given to subscribers. In that case I would have told you subscribers get a user option to turn off advertisements without resorting to Adblock

I understand the idea behind your viewpoint - but the reality is, plenty of people use adblock. Advertisers know this, people who purchase advertising know this, sites hosting adverts know this. If the price for advertising space hasn't fluctuated accordingly, I'd be very surprised.

Also, I'm hardly going to turn off ads on Boards, then turn off adblock, effectively turning on ads on every other site. If the ad bar space stays empty and starts to get annoying, I might dig out the option to turn off ads, but maybe not. It was just a suggestion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I like it for the most part, but I'd like to be able to toggle the header to be static rather than move with the page, and a bit of a reduction in padding.

You can disable the sticky header. Read the first post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Bomshika

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Minor issue, but I liked having the time on the top bar, as a user not on Irish time!

I don't like the notification system of PMs and visitor messages being grouped with threads followed. New posts on my threads aren't that urgent or important, so I like seeing the separate notification for messages.

And I don't like the grouping of the subforums into forums, as I'm not always totally aware a forum is a subforum, makes it harder to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

In your Edit Options where you select skins you can disable it.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch. :)

EDIT #2: The posts no longer show a "last edited by" stamp at the bottom? Is that meant to be the case?

EDIT #3: Weird... nevermind #2, it's working again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

TPD wrote: »
    Also, I'm hardly going to turn off ads on Boards, then turn off adblock, effectively turning on ads on every other site. If the ad bar space stays empty and starts to get annoying, I might dig out the option to turn off ads, but maybe not. It was just a suggestion.

You can disable ads for individual sites with adblock.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Orim wrote: »
    You can disable ads for individual sites with adblock.

Again, it's just that I'd rather not bother with changing settings. I'm very, very lazy you see :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    EDIT #2: The posts no longer show a "last edited by" stamp at the bottom? Is that meant to be the case?

EDIT #3: Weird... nevermind #2, it's working again. :)

If you edit your post within a two minutes or something of the original post, it doesn't display the "Last Edited" thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Is there any way to save the zoom level for a site? I quite like the look of the new beta skin when it's zoomed out one level, but it's a pain in the ass having to do it every time a page loads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

New skin in cool, but when I press my pg dn button instead of scrolling down it scrolls up, or does nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Glad to see Kilkenny et al back, was starting to get worried about them down there for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Do you not think it a valid response? I wouldn't have posted what I did had I seen you were a subscriber. I didn't notice you were because you have "Registered User" as your user title, and don't have the 5 star pips that are given to subscribers. In that case I would have told you subscribers get a user option to turn off advertisements without resorting to Adblock

Dont advertisers go by traffic ? So someone with adblock to the site is no different than someone who doesnt have ad block but doesnt click on ads.

A lot of users here are tech savvy so I'd wager a lot of them use adblock. Trying to force people to view ads is little different than demanding a contribution. Something like that would seriously damage the site imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Just click on "Home" should list the latest posts by default?

In any case, we were genuinely surprised at the number of people who miss this feature so we will most likely add it back in. Would you be happy with it being in the boards.ie menu, under post/thread of the day?

Thanks Paddy.

It never dawned on me to click "home" ...which is actually the boards.ie icon...so that in itself isn't that intuitive (well, not to me anyway).

If you called that icon "home" then I think we'd get used to it.

Btw..I like the new look/ feel overall .:). I assume more and more, the website is going to be adapted for touchscreen devices considering their rise in use/ popularity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Just click on "Home" should list the latest posts by default?

In any case, we were genuinely surprised at the number of people who miss this feature so we will most likely add it back in. Would you be happy with it being in the boards.ie menu, under post/thread of the day?

No. You guys seem to be ignoring the two most complained about problems. Very simple - We would like a designated "User Cp" and "New Posts" button.

Then if possible, extend the margins out and get rid of that wasted space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Not bad at all, even Autopager works:)

I'm going to stick with it for a while, which for a stick in the mud like me, is praise indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

LordSmeg wrote: »
    A lot of users here are tech savvy so I'd wager a lot of them use adblock. Trying to force people to view ads is little different than demanding a contribution. Something like that would seriously damage the site imo.

I'm not saying not to use Adblock, I was saying that using it negates any claim regarding bugs related to its use. Would you email Google to tell them their site looks funny when you block all their ads with Adblock? The point being it's a real use at your own risk thing - if it fubars a design of a site of mine when somebody uses Adblock the solution I'd give them is "Don't use Adblock". I wouldn't expect any changes or accommodations to be made by other sites for issues caused by my own decision to block their ads.
    SnowDrifts wrote: »
    No. You guys seem to be ignoring the two most complained about problems. Very simple - We would like a designated "User Cp" and "New Posts" button.

You have a User CP link, it's in the User Menu. You have the same functionality as the New Posts link by clicking on Boards.ie or the logo. Doesn't seem to be missing anything to me

You have a User CP link, it's in the User Menu. You have the same functionality as the New Posts link by clicking on Boards.ie or the logo. Doesn't seem to be missing anything to me

Ok, fair enough with respect to the new posts being accessed via clicking on "boards.ie" but I would really prefer not to have to hover the mouse for a drop down for "user cp". Just easier having a designated button especially if you are using a laptop.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I think it's a bit old fashioned looking but I'm frightened of change anyway and never used Beta before.
    My main problem is that it looks so BIG. White space everywhere! It looks like I've accidently zoomed in on the page to make everything larger.

Once I figured out how to get rid of the huge obtrusive floating header at the top I liked this look a bit more though.

• Advertisement

Ok, fair enough with respect to the new posts being accessed via clicking on "boards.ie" but I would really prefer not to have to hover the mouse for a drop down for "user cp". Just easier having a designated button especially if you are using a laptop.

Can I ask what's so good in the User CP that people feel a direct, right there on the page link to it is warranted? I can't remember the last time I was in my User CP, but by the looks of it people sure are missing that visible link. I feel like I'm missing out :(

Actually, the "latest posts" section clicking on the "boards.ie" button is not the same as latest posts so, as I said before, please reinstate the "new posts" button.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I'm a huge fan of the orignial Beta skin and I've been using it since it's been avalable. The new look is a step forward from most forums but as others have said it's far too chunky looking. The header bar is far too oversized. There's no need to have avatars displayed in it. The header bar in the original beta skin is perfect and there's still space on it for the enhanced notifications. I really like the omni search box though. The lighter blue backgrounds from the original skin look better too imo.

Can I ask what's so good in the User CP that people feel a direct, right there on the page link to it is warranted? I can't remember the last time I was in my User CP, but by the looks of it people sure are missing that visible link. I feel like I'm missing out :(

Its my most clicked button. From there I can see all my subscribed threads and forums and decide which I wish to view.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Mmm, I like it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

So, can i save this new "beta" site in my favourites and use boards.ie as normal now with this new "skin"?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Cicero wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying that the only way to see New posts I.e. across all forums, is to click first on the My Forums tab and then click on the "latest posts" tab ?

If so, this is a big disappointment. I liked the New posts on the top of the page

Not under the forum tabs for me.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,496 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Now that the submenus don't open automatically, I don't think it is very intuitive for a new user to go to Biz - Personal - for Work and Jobs and State Benefits.

Previously you could kind of scan the whole section but now you have to open different headings.

Would it be possible to have an arrow up by 'Biz' so that when you roll over it you could open all sub menus at the same time?

Its my most clicked button. From there I can see all my subscribed threads and forums and decide which I wish to view.

Your My Forums is superceded now by the dedicated menu, no? Similarly clicking on the Followed Threads in the user menu will bring you to your followed threads. And how is the latest posts different to new posts if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I must have used it thousands of times, it shows all subscribed threads in order of last posting and has options.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement