Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated look for the site.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

I must have used it thousands of times, it shows all subscribed threads in order of last posting and has options.

Any options that are missing from the Followed Threads link?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Caseywhale

Extra clicks on the menu items. Not good. Its less clicks you should be aiming for.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

dont know if this is a boards.ie thing or an IE thing, but :

when im on boards.ie using the new site, i cant use my page down or page up buttons on the laptop. if i open yahoo and go to any other site, they work fine?

just thought i'd mention it just incase :)

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

If ye are looking at bugs, see my video. The "My Forums" either doesn't work or opens another window with posters in that forum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I like the new design. I have one request which I know will fal on deaf ears - please dispense with the "thanks" button, as OI just can't see the point of it. OP has 270+ thanks registered on thread opener, but to what purpose - what value does it add to the thread or to his post?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Your My Forums is superceded now by the dedicated menu, no? Similarly clicking on the Followed Threads in the user menu will bring you to your followed threads. And how is the latest posts different to new posts if you don't mind me asking?

Because I have to hover my cursor over the dropdown bar and then click on "Followed threads". I just dont like having to do this using a track pad. I accept your point regarding the "My Forums" dropdown tab- and I like that.

The latest post is different because when you click on "Boards.ie", it gives you the latest posts sorted by category/forum. The "New Posts" button would just list off the latest new posts irrespective of what forum it was in.

looksee wrote: »
    Now that the submenus don't open automatically, I don't think it is very intuitive for a new user to go to Biz - Personal - for Work and Jobs and State Benefits.

Previously you could kind of scan the whole section but now you have to open different headings.

Would it be possible to have an arrow up by 'Biz' so that when you roll over it you could open all sub menus at the same time?

If you don't know what you're looking for, the omnibox is your ticket. Search for some keywords, and that'll get you the forum one way or another. Categories are being re-organised at some stage as per Dav's feedforward posts/thread :)

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    The latest post is different because when you click on "Boards.ie", it gives you the latest posts sorted by category/forum. The "New Posts" button would just list off the latest new posts irrespective of what forum it was in.

The posts on the Boards.ie homepage are sorted by last post time, not by forum or category :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Switched back to the old beta there. Much better use of space, especially with the slimmer floating bar.

New beta doesn't offer any advantages over the old one tbh, and wastes more space.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

kceire wrote: »
    dont know if this is a boards.ie thing or an IE thing, but :

when im on boards.ie using the new site, i cant use my page down or page up buttons on the laptop. if i open yahoo and go to any other site, they work fine?

just thought i'd mention it just incase :)

Can you tell me what IE you're browsing on? It would be a Boards.ie issue :)

mathepac wrote: »
    I like the new design. I have one request which I know will fal on deaf ears - please dispense with the "thanks" button, as OI just can't see the point of it. OP has 270+ thanks registered on thread opener, but to what purpose - what value does it add to the thread or to his post?

You're right, this isn't the place for it as it's for feedback on the new skin only. However, I do know that issue has been discussed here in Feedback a few times, give the 'aul search a try and see what came out of those discussions :)

Reganovski wrote: »

If ye are looking at bugs, see my video. The "My Forums" either doesn't work or opens another window with posters in that forum.

What appears to be happening there is it's clicking through the menu onto the number of replies in a thread. That is the page you're seeing.

Are you on IOS5.1? iPad 2 or 3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

The posts on the Boards.ie homepage are sorted by last post time, not by forum or category :)

You are correct, my bad. Now all I need is a designated "User cp" button and it will be perfect.

I actually like the new look and I think the number popping up for notifications is really very nice.

• Advertisement

What appears to be happening there is it's clicking through the menu onto the number of replies in a thread. That is the page you're seeing.

Are you on IOS5.1? iPad 2 or 3?

IOS 5.1.1 iPad 2

Reganovski wrote: »
    IOS 5.1.1 iPad 2

Bad news: I'm going home :)

Good news: I can reproduce this on an iPad here in the office so we should be able to work out a fix :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

The banner at the top is too big. That is my only problem. That and a chronic dose of knob rot.

... You're right, ....
    Of course, I'm always right. :)

Just noticed what might be a bug. When I hover over my username, the drop-down shows my followed threads (number isOK) but updated threads I posted to still appear in the list with normal (not bolded) text.

If I understand the new layout, it should show the same info as the old "User CP" did.

Opera 12.00 on OS X 10.6.8

The banner at the top is too big. That is my only problem. That and a chronic dose of knob rot.

We can help with the first - please go to the first post in this thread by Dav and read the section "sticky header" for your instructions.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It's better looking than I expected based on some of the comments, but I don't like the bar at the top that effectively reduces the screen space so I went back to the normal white one. Edit: I see there is a way around this, good stuff. Reading comprehension ftl.

Is there a plan to have this as the only skin at any point, removing the option to use others? I know this was mooted before as a way of reducing work replication, but is it still the plan?

Another question if I may. Is this a stepping stone on the way to a totally bespoke forum software that I saw mooted before? Any planned date for this if it is still in the offing? Apologies if asked/answered in here before, but I didn't read the whole thread, just dipped in/out in bits.

Bad news: I'm going home :)

You will not!!! You'll stay there until you fix it!! ;)
    Well that's what my boss would say to me! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

I'm not saying not to use Adblock, I was saying that using it negates any claim regarding bugs related to its use. Would you email Google to tell them their site looks funny when you block all their ads with Adblock? The point being it's a real use at your own risk thing - if it fubars a design of a site of mine when somebody uses Adblock the solution I'd give them is "Don't use Adblock". I wouldn't expect any changes or accommodations to be made by other sites for issues caused by my own decision to block their ads.

But if a large proportion of users did use adblock then it would be in everyone's interest to deal with the bugs. I'm not saying they should but if it was a large proportion of users experiencing issues then the problem of bugs relating to its use becomes a problem for the site in relation to its users. Thats if there was a large enough proportion of users using it and experience major problems though. Its a free site, which has to accept users will use adblock and work around it if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

So I have reverted back to the old look temporaly. But it has reverted back to the skin I assume guests see, not the old beta version I was using, and cant find it now.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

Dav wrote: »

Should you wish to revert to the old look Boards.ie, you can do that by clicking HERE.

I tried clicking it but it still won't go back to the old one. I'm stuck on the new one...

EDIT: Actually it did go back but it just changed the colour is all. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Alright, just noticed a bug.

OS/Browser: Win 7 64-bit / Google Chrome
    Issue: When I click on a thread that I've followed it takes me to the first unread post as normal. So we'll say there're 15 unread posts, I'll read them by scrolling down, and if it's a particularly popular thread (say any of the TV or soccer threads) I'll refresh for new posts.

Before it used to set the first unread post as any potential new post that happened since I last refreshed, but now it takes me back to the original first unread post (which would be 15 posts back if you get what I'm saying?)

It could just be laggy internet, but it's only started since I switched over to this new skin...

5starpool wrote: »
    It's better looking than I expected based on some of the comments, but I don't like the bar at the top that effectively reduces the screen space so I went back to the normal white one.

That's no need to go back just for that - just disable the sticky header and it won't come with you as you scroll. See the OP for instructions on how to do this :)
    [/quote]
    Is there a plan to have this as the only skin at any point, removing the option to use others? I know this was mooted before as a way of reducing work replication, but is it still the plan?

Disabling old skins isn't in the pipeline. However new features won't be backported onto them which is why we're trying to get the new one right with your help
    Another question if I may.

You may :pac:
    Is this a stepping stone on the way to a totally bespoke forum software that I saw mooted before? Any planned date for this if it is still in the offing? Apologies if asked/answered in here before, but I didn't read the whole thread, just dipped in/out in bits.

It sort of is, yes. The new header, omnibox, notifications, navigation menu are all coming off our API. One of the cool things we can do because of this is in the new menu - it knows your private forum permissions so if you're a Mod you'll see the Moderators forum etc. Of course there are many other nice things we can do, and when the API is expanded we can do a whole lot more.

The planned date for the API to be finished? There isn't one; even when Boards isn't changing, the API is. We're making it able to handle more users simultaneously, improving how things happen and the speed at which they're done. There probably won't be this big bang of "Ta-da! New Boards and vBulletin is dead!", it's looking more and more like a gradual thing. The new style is an interim step, as was Touch before it and some other things in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Can the tool bar at the top be hidden somehow? It is rather large and obnoxious as it is.

Edit: Ah, I see the solution is just a post above, Nevermind:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

irish-stew wrote: »
    So I have reverted back to the old look temporaly. But it has reverted back to the skin I assume guests see, not the old beta version I was using, and cant find it now.

You'll find the option for selecting it at the bottom of the page here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editoptions

irish-stew wrote: »

The beta skin can be found in the dropdown that appears under the Forum Skin heading of the Edit Options page :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

You'll find the option for selecting it at the bottom of the page here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editoptions

Thanking you.

;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Can you tell me what IE you're browsing on? It would be a Boards.ie issue :)

IE9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Can the tool bar at the top be hidden somehow? It is rather large and obnoxious as it is.

Edit: Ah, I see the solution is just a post above, Nevermind:D

It's amazing what you can find out by reading things.

I'm not fussed on the maximum width addition but otherwise the new skin is ferry nice.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Alright, just noticed a bug.

OS/Browser: Win 7 64-bit / Google Chrome
    Issue: When I click on a thread that I've followed it takes me to the first unread post as normal. So we'll say there're 15 unread posts, I'll read them by scrolling down, and if it's a particularly popular thread (say any of the TV or soccer threads) I'll refresh for new posts.

Before it used to set the first unread post as any potential new post that happened since I last refreshed, but now it takes me back to the original first unread post (which would be 15 posts back if you get what I'm saying?)

It could just be laggy internet, but it's only started since I switched over to this new skin...

When you click on the URL in you followed threads you get something like this
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=2056684027

Along the way it gets translated to something like
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79430750#post79430750

Refreshing a page with a URL that ends with something like "showthread.php?p=79430750#post79430750" will always take you to that post. It should never work any other way, no matter the style :)

• Advertisement

Just noticed a bug. The "Post Reply" and "Unfollow" buttons are a bit mangled. "Post Reply" has a grey band running through the bottom third or so of the blue background and and "Unfollow" looks like

"Unf
    ollo
    w"

Opera 12.00 on OS X 10.6.8

Sorry this does NOT apply to Safari 5.1.7

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement