Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated look for the site.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭someuser905

the bar at the top that is static and follows you as you scroll - that should be 1 row, not 3

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

As I suspected, all the extra whitespace is a serious issue on a netbook (Windows XP, 1024*600 using Google Chrome)

You can see from this screenshot that the menu doesn't expand properly (cutting off the Rec section on the left side of the screen):
    210617.JPG

And just to highlight the general spacing issue, between the header bar (set to be unstickied but I still think the rollover menu colour is ugly and too tall)and the all the space around content and sizing, I can't even see the full content of the first post on the page unless I scroll or zoom out:
    210618.JPG

Zooming out one step gets the text to the right size, zooming out twice gets the margins/spacing about correct but the text becomes too small to read.

Making the site clearer to navigate is undeniably a good thing. Sacrificing screen real-estate for the very thing that brings us to boards, the content of the posts, is an unacceptable price imo. Reducing font sizes and spacing in the user details to the left of the posts would help.

Sorry if I sound overly critical, it's genuinely meant to be helpful feedback. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

kceire wrote: »
    IE9

Thanks for this. It would seem IE9 does in fact like to do things a little differently from IE8 sometimes. This issue should be resolved for you now :)

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 38 buzzb123

Looks good to me! I like the fact that I don't have to use the scroll button to see the forums within categories!

More user friendly if you ask me:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭justbored

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

That's a lot better looking! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

When you click on the URL in you followed threads you get something like this
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=2056684027

Along the way it gets translated to something like
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79430750#post79430750

Refreshing a page with a URL that ends with something like "showthread.php?p=79430750#post79430750" will always take you to that post. It should never work any other way, no matter the style :)

Hmm... I dunno why I never had an issue with it before... But I'll take your word for it. :)
    It sort of is, yes. The new header, omnibox, notifications, navigation menu are all coming off our API. One of the cool things we can do because of this is in the new menu - it knows your private forum permissions so if you're a Mod you'll see the Moderators forum etc. Of course there are many other nice things we can do, and when the API is expanded we can do a whole lot more.

This is excellent. Only just noticed that the private forums now appear in the menus. Was probably one of the only issues I had with the old skin, so it's brilliant to have that sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    This is excellent. Only just noticed that the private forums now appear in the menus. Was probably one of the only issues I had with the old skin, so it's brilliant to have that sorted.

Oh it's been a little "If I could fix this one thing on Boards" of mine for many years too, glad to see it finally resolved. I'd put up with double padding on everything if I means can navigate to private forums in less clicks/scrolls :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I can't seem to be able to open anything from the top drop down menu in a new tab(using crtl+click).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Any options that are missing from the Followed Threads link?

Not that I can see at a quick look, took me a while to see where to unsubscribe to threads as I'm stoopid!

Now fix 'my forums' and Ill be happy :pac:

Looks really nice.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    I can't seem to be able to open anything from the top drop down menu in a new tab(using crtl+click).

Firefox user by any chance? I suspect so and you can blame Firefox for your issue. From a post I made a while ago in the Moderators forum
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=748740

You need to get yourself a better browser ;)

If you're in any way technically inclined or want to know the details, read on...

Most browsers handle mouse clicks natively, all by themselves in browser code. Javascript lets programmers write their own events on things that are processed before reaching the native handler. Javascript also lets you cancel events if you don't want to reach the native handler. In Javascript you can preventDefault (stop the native handler) and stopPropogation (stop any more non-native events).

In Firefox, CTRL+Click for some bizarre reason is not a native handler, it's an event that Firefox throws in when the page is loaded. Chrome, Safari, even IE get this perfectly right - CTRL+Click should be native handler; the only way you should be able to stop it is with preventDefault.

While the bug report is new it's apparently been the case that since Firefox 3 using stopPropagation will kill CTRL+Clicks. I don't expect this to change - there is no workaround for shoddy Javascript/Click-Handling implementations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Type: Feature Suggestion
    Issue: The swanky (presumably Ajax/JQuery) live update notification number thingy is pretty nice, but it strikes me that it would be infinitely more useful if it was added to the page title too.

It's something I use a fair amount for the likes of Google/Twitter etc as being able to glance at the tab without actually visiting it to know if you've any updates or not is extremely handy.

It wouldn't need to be on all of the pages, just the main ones that show updates to subscriptions etc. that people are likely to use as 'launch' pages from, e.g. usercp, subscriptions and forums.

Issue: Given that the omnibox searches everything, would it be possible to have the 'extended' text search, aking to google's -inurl, -site etc?

The easiest place to start with that would be by using some of the Advanced Search stuff. e.g. if you wanted to look for a post you remember someone posting in a particular forum, you could stick 'poster:Blowfish forum:Feedback' along with your search string. It'd make it much quicker than having to go through the advanced search bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Just a few thoughts.

I have been using the other Beta skin up until now and I have to say, I prefer its hover-over function for navigating through the dropdown menus, when looking for subforums, over the new feature where one will hover over, say, Midwest, and will then have to click the little arrow to expand the Midwest menu. Also, said arrow icon is rather small, which can lead the clumsier among us to mistakenly click the forum rather than expand its subforums.

Another thing for me is that the white background is very severe on the eyes compared to the blue, which is a lot more relaxing for the eyes when reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Any options that are missing from the Followed Threads link?
    Well not quite an option, but the usercp is the only place that'll list social groups you are following and when they were last posted in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Blowfish wrote: »
    Issue: The swanky (presumably Ajax/JQuery) live update notification number thingy is pretty nice, but it strikes me that it would be infinitely more useful if it was added to the page title too.

It's something I use a fair amount for the likes of Google/Twitter etc as being able to glance at the tab without actually visiting it to know if you've any updates or not is extremely handy.

It wouldn't need to be on all of the pages, just the main ones that show updates to subscriptions etc. that people are likely to use as 'launch' pages from, e.g. usercp, subscriptions and forums.

Issue: Given that the omnibox searches everything, would it be possible to have the 'extended' text search, aking to google's -inurl, -site etc?

The easiest place to start with that would be by using some of the Advanced Search stuff. e.g. if you wanted to look for a post you remember someone posting in a particular forum, you could stick 'poster:Blowfish forum:Feedback' along with your search string. It'd make it much quicker than having to go through the advanced search bit.

I really like both of these suggestions, especially the search one. Appeals to the power user :pac: To expand on the notifications thing - If we could get the pulsing tab that Chrome does in Gmail, and/or a favicon notification too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I'm sorry, I don't like it. It reminds me of a 1990's web design.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks for this. It would seem IE9 does in fact like to do things a little differently from IE8 sometimes. This issue should be resolved for you now :)

Danny

Working perfect now :)

On another note, it seems the board is zoomed in too much, photos that would of fully displayed on the old site are now cut top and bottom, its as if there less space on screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Is there a way to switch off the floating navigation bar? You end up loosing almost a third of your screen between it and the IE navigation bar.

edit: Just noticed the disable sticky header option. All good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Just noticed that the flat white background is extremely unfriendly to images. Have a look at the random thread on the photography board to see what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Firefox user by any chance? I suspect so and you can blame Firefox for your issue. From a post I made a while ago in the Moderators forum

But it works fine in both the original and beta skins? How can you blame firefox now when the only change has been on your end?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The white is a bit glaring. I like the new nav bar at the top though and the notifications feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

As has been mentioned before I'd much prefer to have the sub-forums appear when hovering over the parent forum.

I also find the colour shaded between main and sub forum too similiar and can make it harder to find the forum you're looking for when the menu drops down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

Anyway of toning down the white, only on it a few minutes and its giving me a headache :(

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

am I missing something on chrome and firefox and aurora it just flashes a white screen?

are we supposed to use IE?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I've been messing around on it for a while now and for the most part I like it.
      The white is a bit harsh on the aul mince pies. Need sunglasses reading it
      The hover over thing is really really annoying the way the sub-forums don't appear automatically. This should really be fixed imo. It seems a lot of people have complained about that one.
      As I said in my earlier post, it'd be nice if when in the "My Forums" section when you hover over a forum it says who the last poster was rather than just the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I really like how the menus work, click the category and it expands. The rest of it though I wouldn't be mad about.

The top bar is way too big, and there's absolutely no need for it to follow you down the page. Why not just leave it up top?

There seems to be way too much empty space everywhere. I'll be switching back for the time being anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Jesus I hate it. Feels like I'm using a PC monitor from 10years ago.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Is there a way to switch off the floating navigation bar? You end up loosing almost a third of your screen between it and the IE navigation bar.

edit: Just noticed the disable sticky header option. All good now.

where is the"disable sticky header option" located?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭I Armour I

Type: Bug?
    Issue: The page-down button/page up button doesn't seem to function properly. It simply stays locked at a certain point on threads.
    Browser & OS: Latest version of Google chrome on Windows 7
    Screen Resolution: 1600x900 (Asus Laptop)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement