Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated look for the site.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Bif of feedback for ye... I've just posted a few thigns here an dthere in AH, an when it redirects me back to the thread, whatever I just poste down not show up! It does apear tio be acceptign the post, but going back to the last version of the thread befoer I posted.

might be somethign to do with my cache, but it didn;t do this before the change.

EDIT - Sod's law - just updated perfectly there.

That has been happening intermittently for me too since I switched to the new beta skin.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Dean09 wrote: »
    The white is a bit harsh on the aul mince pies. Need sunglasses reading it
    Oldtree wrote: »
    It works well technically but its very bright with all that white :eek:. and ditto with the wideness feel and blockyness.
    Waaaaay too white!
    I have my screen brightness turned down to zero and it's still far too bright!!
    I need sunglasses too to look at it. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Its new and nice on the eye alright. I just wish I could see more of the latest posts on the home page.. It used to be easy to scan to see the latest things people were talking about. That could be more compact on the new setup. Also, the banner at the top doesnt need to be frozen.. Id prefer if it scrolled with the page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I know it's not really the same, but you could bookmark that link. That's what I've done to get around the disappearance of the 'New Posts' button.

Aye, but I am happy with the old interface. Are we gonna be made switch like the Facebook timeline ****e?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I've noticed that when putting up a new post, it can sometimes take a refresh or two before it's visible.

Aside from that, I actually really like that new layout now that I'm getting used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,508 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Having used it for a few hours and gotten used to the differences it's fine. There's a nagging feeling though that everything (apart from actual content of posts) is just a little too big, like it's zoomed in one level.
    Zoom out and it's much better, but then every other site is a bit small.

EDIT: especially the post reply button and text in relation to the boards.ie > forum > forum A text just below it.
    Sonics2k wrote: »
    I've noticed that when putting up a new post, it can sometimes take a refresh or two before it's visible.

That's an ongoing issues rather than restricted to just this though, isn't it? Happens to me a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

sentient_6 wrote: »
    But it works fine in both the original and beta skins? How can you blame firefox now when the only change has been on your end?

Because it is the fact we are now using e.stopPropagation() that is causing the issue. We haven't used it before in other skins. We can't stop using it on the new skin due to the way events are handled. It works perfectly in all other non-Firefox browsers. It is a browser bug, as can be evidenced by the fact somebody over on the Mozilla site is trying to patch it out.
    Lil Armour wrote: »
    Type: Bug?
    Issue: The page-down button/page up button doesn't seem to function properly. It simply stays locked at a certain point on threads.
    Browser & OS: Latest version of Google chrome on Windows 7
    Screen Resolution: 1600x900 (Asus Laptop)

Thank you kindly. Full Pg Up/Dn functionality has been restored and tested on IE8/9, Chrome, Safari, Opera and Firefox on Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

have to say i dont like it. The screen is too cramped and i cant cant help to look for a minimize (push up) that breadcrumb .

space is being wasted and i think you should keep the background the easy on the eyes blue.
    the white is just too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

I think it looks nice, but it doesn't fit in my browser window properly, so I have to scroll to the right to see the "thank" button. Hopefully that'll get worked out...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Not a fan I have to say, it's all very square and impersonal. IMHO.

AS somebody who works night shifts, I can see this whiteness burning through my eyes at 5 in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I must have used it thousands of times, it shows all subscribed threads in order of last posting and has options.

User CP beats followed threads every day. It just does, end off.

When this was rolled out to mods in beta testing that was the most annoying thing, followed threads was there under the drop down menu but no Control panel!

Control Panel >>>>> Followed threads!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

There is nothing wrong yet someone has to change it . BBC player and many formats they keep changing and i have to relearn all over again .There was NOTHING WRONG WITH THE OLD ONE ...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tried it, switched back to the old beta after 5 minutes. Too harsh on the eyes for me, the slight off white of the old one makes it much more user friendly over even short periods of time.

Pass thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Too white, too bright, too Facebook-esque.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 250 ✭✭DuPLeX

very uketerical indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

hate the floating bar at top that follows me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Pretty buggy when playing a flash video.

Screenie (click for bigger version)

UmmfCl.png

Fedora 17 + Chrome. Occurs when scrolling up and down

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

ED E wrote: »
    Tried it, switched back to the old beta after 5 minutes. Too harsh on the eyes for me, the slight off white of the old one makes it much more user friendly over even short periods of time.

Pass thanks.

Give f.lux a try -- http://stereopsis.com/flux/.

I use it for any websites which are overly white/bright.

You can adjust the settings yourself. It works quite nicely with the new Boards skin when set at about 5200k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Please add REDDIT to the bookmarks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

How do i change my theme back to something else? After changing to the new skin it set me back to the default boards theme. I like to use the cloud theme but i can't remember how to set themes anymore. Anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I want the bar at the top to leave me alone :(
    EDIT: Bazinga

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

Is it too late to start a pointless internet position asking for the site to revert to go back to how it looked previously?

The old site looked great. This new one is too blocky, the top bar is annoying, and there's a lot of white space. :P Please keep the original skin as the default!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don't like it. Can you let people choose which they want? The old or the new.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭skoomi

how do I put it back?

(btw, I'll be closing my account if it ends up like that)

You will ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I just spent the last fifteen minutes trapped in Adverts.ie:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭skoomi

TOO BRIGHT AND WHITE ... ME FECKIN' EYES!

Also, can't click the name of the thread at the top?

Seems very slow to post as well. Takes longer to load... anybody else notice that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

1. After reading 5 pages of the thread this is already hurting my eyes and I've turned my laptop brightness down completely to compensate. I can live with nearly everything else but you need to bring back the darker background shade.

2. I hate the floating search bar (which I've successfully turned off) but would like the breadcrumb trail to float.

3. There is way too much real estate wasted on almost every screen. I'm on boards to read posts and I really don't want to be constantly scrolling-its irritating.

4. Having the read notification number attached to my profile leads me to think if I click on my profile it will get me to it. It took a number of tries to realise its related to the forums I like. Attach it to the "my forums" link would be much better and leave a notification beside the profile for PM's.

Overall I will like it and I can live with numbers 2-4 if I must but I will not be adopting this profile until the white is addressed. The glare is shocking!:D

Edit:
    Actually I have a fifth. When I click on boards.ie to go to the homepage there's no longer a text distinction between threads I have looked at with the most recent post as compared to the ones that I've never been on or that there's been a new post on. In other words I just posted on a thread, on the homepage I'm showing up as the most recent poster but there's no highlight on the thread title or rather lack of highlight!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I have to switch back- the whiteness is actually really stinging my eyes now! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

i dont like change

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement