Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated look for the site.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Change. Anybody got change?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Aaaaah! How do I switch back?! It's alrite but a bit too bright for my liking and I'm not always much comfortable with change!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

If you could hide and pull down the bar at the top it would be grand. Maybe colour in the thanks and quote buttons also.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

Hey, I checked in the FAQ about how to change the forum appearance and it said there would be options in the bottom left corner but I can't see anything? Little help? I tried the new look for the site but changed back to the old one but the appearance hasn't changed back so I'm just wondering..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭skoomi

Another massive problem, for me at least:

I use spacebar a lot to scroll down the page, but now I find it hard to pick up from where I left off when it scrolls down. Once the sentence that I'm reading moves to the top of the page after pressing space, it disappears under the massive floating thing at the top, forcing me to manually shimmy the scroll bar back up a few notches and find out where the feck I am in whatever large body of text I'm reading.

It's making a balls of one of Chrome's handiest features.

Edit: Another guy with pretty much the same problem:
    Didn't like it, especially the header that follows you down the page. I PGDN as I read, and with the new skin I have to PGDN and then arrow key up to read shit the header is now covering.

I've switched it back to the old one.

Also, what's with all this space

|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    V

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Hey guys,

have had a quick look at it.
    Just my opinion, haven't read the thread either.

Where are the Boards guys gone, the characters that have been on the home page for YEARS?
    The home page now feels boring and bland
    Is there skins? Can't see an option. Also, how to I change back.
    I know when I'm logged in, don't to see my avatar in the top right.
    The notifications reminds me of Facebook, not a good thing, but I enjoy FB.
    Back to skins again, I had to turn my monitor right down, its way too bright.
    Not fussed about the floating bar, but I'll prob switch it off for regular use.
    The new menu layout is good, makes forum selection easier.

Over all, I don't like change, But I do want my Cloud skin back :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Rabies wrote: »
    Over all, I don't like change, But I do want my Cloud skin back :)
    Click your name-User CP-Edit Options-Change Skin- Cloud. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Already back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Its nice, but the header and breadcrumbs are taking up way too much space on my small screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

paddyandy wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong yet someone has to change it . BBC player and many formats they keep changing and i have to relearn all over again .There was NOTHING WRONG WITH THE OLD ONE ...

AFAIK they're changing to this one to try and phase out vBulletin which is no longer fit for purpose.

I've been using it all night now and really starting to like it. Just a few things missing...

Type: Feature Suggestion
    A direct Edit Signature link? We have ones for Edit Profile and Edit Email/Password, but to be honest I edit my Sig a lot more often than these two combined. I think this is true for a lot of people.

Type: Feature Suggestion
    I hate to keep beating the same drum, but not having a direct My Threads link is just really irritating when you come from the old beta skin.

Type: Design Comment
    Like a lot of other people have said, the fact you have to click on a forum to see its sub-forums is a real deterrent to new users. As an extreme example, the Home Brewing forum is really hidden, you've to hover over Rec, click Food, click Beer to see it.
    Having the menus expand when someone hovers over them would be more convenient IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Using this on a net book at the moment and with the smally screen with the added search bar I cant even see full posts or look at a single picture in YLYL any more :(

Also the number of unread posts beside will drive my a tiny bit of OCD inside me mental when its showing any numbers. Spent 20 minutes clicking into old threads today to get rid of it.

back to the old for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭yawha

Wow. You guys really implemented your April fools joke from 3 years ago as a real thing???

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The whingers really come out at times like this.

Looks great to me and I've been on it for a couple of weeks now. All the minor bugs are being ironed out so no problmes there. I like the floating banner, and like the brightness of it. Most of the other skins are terrible in their dullness anyway.

Get the little characters somewhere on the homepage and it's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

It's ok, not much of a change really. Any idea when ye will be upgrading the version of VBulletin? Now THAT would be an improvement worth noting sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The whingers really come out at times like this.

It's that type of attitude that killed the Gawker's sites, CHUD and Diggs traffic. While the changes here aren't anywhere near as drastic or significant there was a failure to realize that the whingers are also a sites customers - ignore them at your peril. As long as there's the option to view the old style I've no issue, but if i'm forced into the change my time on site will drop drastically.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it.
    So much wastes space, only a handful of topics on screen at any one time. Leave the "current" one up forever as an alternative please.
    Bleurgh.

And then to make things even worse, when you revert back to the "old" skin you have by clicking the "HERE" on the first post, you get the default blue instead of whatever you had picked before.

This sucks big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

whiplashed wrote: »
    That's always been my motto.

Which is why I still have my damn sexy mullet and my living room is as it has always been, since I bought the place back in '81.

5903951-Living_room_of_the_80s_Hoorn.jpg

A bit OT, but for the iPad users out there:

SETTINGS/general/accessibility/triple click home/toggle black on white (on)/ exit then hit the home button 3 times in quick succession, and the photo above from whiplashed really takes off:D

Also a great view for boards bedtime browsing without disturbing her indoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I like most of it. I like when the menu's spread out in column so you can see most of them. The sub menus seem a little slow to pop out. That was in Chrome in Opera it seems better. I've hardware acceleration turn on in Opera.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's that type of attitude that killed the Gawker's sites, CHUD and Diggs traffic. While the changes here aren't anywhere near as drastic or significant there was a failure to realize that the whingers are also a sites customers - ignore them at your peril. As long as there's the option to view the old style I've no issue, but if i'm forced into the change my time on site will drop drastically.

You can't please everyone, and the functionality of the site is improving every day as they roll out the new version.

Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭jimmy_t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'm a bit annoyed that when I logged in this morning I automatically got the new skin - do we not have a choice in this?!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

It's a bit 'in your face'. The text seems huge though when I made the it a bit smaller it was easier to look at.

Why change it at all though? As someone said 'if it ain't broke...' My bank changed their website about a year ago and I'm still not used to it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

leahyl wrote: »
    I'm a bit annoyed that when I logged in this morning I automatically got the new skin - do we not have a choice in this?!:(

You absolutely should have a choice. If you click the link in the first post it should set you back to the default skin. If you want to select a different skin you can do so in your user control panel under edit options at the bottom of the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

leahyl wrote: »

Go to your control panel then edit options then scroll down to forum skin and change it there. Then click save. It's been said many times on the thread, they're not taking the choice away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

FYI..for others. The User CP isn't gone...there's just no easily accessable link for it anymore.
    I just wanted to tell you buddy its always been quite easy to get to usercp,just click USERCP up on the bar (User CP,FAQ,Community,New Posts,etc)

I use the default VBB skin and I assume that bar shows on all skins.. (All skins i tried yesterday it showed anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

I think it's fine, except for the floating header. Can that be collapsed?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

Boards category view is a massive improvement, nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I think it's fine, except for the floating header. Can that be collapsed?

See the sticky header paragraph in the first post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭eezarthegreat

I respect your opinion. Design is mostly subjective and everyone will react differently and there is no objective "right way".

However I think people forget what the web actually looked like in '99.

Here's what boards like like in '01 for example:

http://web.archive.org/web/200101182118/http://www.boards.ie/

http://web.archive.org/web/200101191021/http://www.boards.ie/bulletin/Forum1/HTML/000003.html

I understand what you mean, but, I still remember the older days well. It's the colour scheme that mostly reminds me of the older web tbh. Didn't want to pick away too much, but here's what I think:

1. Way too much white
    2. Buttons are too big
    3. Button (reply, quote) need colours - the grey is simply too hard on the eyes (those with visual impediments are FOOOKED)
    4. There's too much space between items (in the format) too
    5. The new blue doesn't bode well strictly against the new white - colours need to be balanced more
    6. Page numbers are too big
    7. The new drop down (above the header) is great, but, you should add some type of colour/slim texture to the BG of that - it shouldn't be plain white
    8. Bookmars at the bottom need a serious upgrade, both visually and socially
    9. Bottom breadcrumb, in my opinion, should be dropped (add a "to top") button floating outside the main boody
    10. Also, I would personally increase the header size, increase the boards logo (makes no sense at all to have a small cramped one) and add a 728 header advertisement there to compliment that

Honestly, I could go on. I know you want constructive feedback though, so I hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

If it wasn't so bright I might have given it a look.
    As it is, I switched back immediately

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement