Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated look for the site.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cosbawn

Whats going on??? Is it all changing oh god took me ages to find my way around first time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Sorry if it's already been mentioned, but is it possible to only have the categories as a sticky that follows you like in Old Beta, while leaving the blue header unstuck?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Minor bit of feedback, but when you go to "Followed threads" a link to unfollow without having to open the thread would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

A link to "New Posts" will be added to the Boards.ie menu.

By a link to "New Posts", do you mean this?

Because would seem pretty redundant given you can just click "Home" on the breadcrumbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Dave147 wrote: »
    Minor bit of feedback, but when you go to "Followed threads" a link to unfollow without having to open the thread would be nice.
    Use the checkboxes on the right-hand-side of each thread, then go down to the bottom and use the dropdown beside "Selected Threads". Choose delete Subscription

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    By a link to "New Posts", do you mean this?

Because would seem pretty redundant given you can just click "Home" on the breadcrumbs?
    Hopefully he means this

Quazzie wrote: »
    Hopefully he means this

I get a "Not Found" error for that...

Quazzie wrote: »
    Hopefully he means this
    Actually this (your link doesn't work). I'm surprised at the number of people who use it. It's not even in the "old" beta, never mind the new one, and it's much less accurate than just going to http://www.boards.ie. The only advantage is that you can page back through it.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Type: Feature Suggestion

Issue: On the old style, the old "breadcrumb" used to contain a link to the thread you were currently viewing, meaning that you could click on that to go back to the start of the thread. The new one doesn't - I have links for Home, Sys and Feedback, but no link in the thread name :(
    Yes, I'm perfectly aware that such a link already exists at least twice in the page, but I always liked having it there. Means you can jump back to the OP no matter where you are in the thread. Should be trivial to make every step in the breadcrumb a link, no?

Browser & OS: NA

Screen Resolution: NA

I think I finally know what's bugging me about it - there's too much empty space. Compare the old style with the new

4779852_126310339_7382800?AWSAccessKeyId=0R7FMW7AXRVCYMAPTPR2&Expires=1340899811&Signature=8949bad%2BCEqaa7NfRpfQrFY8GYs%3D4779852_126310246_7382796?AWSAccessKeyId=0R7FMW7AXRVCYMAPTPR2&Expires=1340899836&Signature=Zsb7X89gqSLKjD4gnN1YKc1ZWks%3D

They are the actual sizes. There is far too much space being taken up by threads now, which is completely unnecessary. Could this be reduced? Also you can see the OP's name is now the same font size as the thread title. Can this be reduced also?

And speaking of size, the same is also true for people's statistics when browsing. See here:

4779852_126310984_7382836?AWSAccessKeyId=0R7FMW7AXRVCYMAPTPR2&Expires=1340900075&Signature=9m2A2zefT%2BgG6CDyom1IZopmi%2BU%3D

compared to mine to the left. Again the font has been made too big. Can this also be made smaller?

Edit: And as has already been mentioned, the Breadcrumbs Bar needs to be a solid colour, not transparent, because it makes reading it difficult when it's positioned over other text underneath

• Advertisement

And just to add to more of my font-filled misery, the time and date font is too big, while the breadcrumbs at the bottom of the page are too small. And I don't know why the pictures from my previous post keep disappearing :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

28064212 wrote: »
    Actually this (your link doesn't work). I'm surprised at the number of people who use it. It's not even in the "old" beta, never mind the new one, and it's much less accurate than just going to http://www.boards.ie. The only advantage is that you can page back through it.

I use that new posts link all the time and am looking forward to having it back. It is in the old beta. The reasons I prefer it over the Boards home page is that:

1. There are no announcements stickies at the top. I've read the announcements, I don't need to see them all the time.
    2. It shows me if I've replied in a thread, seeing that I've replied to the thread makes me go back into it to see further replies.
    3. It shows me if a thread is locked or not. At least I don't think the home page shows that.
    4. There are no ads on that page on the side.
    5. I can choose between going to the first post or going to the first unread post.
    6. It's set out the same way as a forum page. I find jumping to a new layout on one page of the site odd.

I'll stop rambling. My point is that it's my most used button on boards.

I use that new posts link all the time and am looking forward to having it back. It is in the old beta
    D'oh, see it now :o Was looking in the drop-down menu, right in the middle of the page was too obvious clearly.

Fair enough with (most) of the other reasons, no. 5 is possible from the home screen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

drop menus look better

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Am I losing my mind or did the site get a lot bluer looking in the last few minutes?

edit- nvm, my color settings reset themselves for some reason =p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Apologies if this has been discussed already but has anyone else noticed the new skin makes scrolling very slow using an iPhone? I've changed back to the old skin as I was experiencing jumpy scrolling with the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Type Bug
    Issue:when using the IPad, clicking on the control panel link does not work. The drop down opens when you click your name, and the link/button changes colour to show you've hit the right place, but the link does not open. If there is a link underneath the drop down, that is clicked instead (e.g. A job announcement etc.)
    Browser & OS: Safari
    Screen Resolution: IPad 3 portrait (it works fine in landscape)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

You have to be joking

The old skins have :

• Terrible or non-existent branding
    • No consistency between styles or site modes (e.g. touch)
    • Crazy font size mixtures
    • Terrible, claustrophobic layout starting from the index page moving into threads/forums
    • Severe issues with usability - not least the existence of functions and features all over the place in the most insane places, often duplicated in a similarly crazy place. Ever see the amount of people asking where X is or how to do Y in the Newbies & FAQ forum?
    • Primitive look and feel, the web is a different place from 2001/2002, Boards never moved on - which is why I find your comment about the new design being primitive laughable
    • Many, many other issues I could list, but let's not go into too much depth

Easily accessible User CP link - Hover over your username, click Control Panel. Time taken? ~0.5seconds. Better yet - go to your user control panel from an old style in the middle of a thread; enjoy your scroll to the top of the page ;) New style+sticky header going to the User CP from anywhere not the top of the page = ~0.5seconds. all the time, any time.

The fact there's a minimum and maximum width means that the lines will never get too long, improving readability (at least for me). The contrast increase is only a good thing, and that's coming as a Blue skin user for many years. I'm sure colour scheme changes are in the pipeline, wouldn't mind seeing this skin on a black/gray/darker colour scheme :)

As somebody who's been around Boards a while the skin change is a radical departure. But I've been in touch with a few friends to get them to check it out as non-Boards users and they're already telling me it looks a whole lot more user friendly.

Clearly it's not as bad as you seem to be making out

That little nugget has been shot down a few times here in Feedback. In any case, probably not the place for feature requests :)

I gave my 'first impression' opinion. I don't care about how many fonts are used in the old skin, style consistency or branding etc. It just works for me. I've been using the site for many years, I know where everything is and it's just simple.

Granted, the new design would probably grow on me if it wasn't so glaring (that white background has to go), but I don't like something that IMHO isn't broken, being replaced. The last time I seen that was when Google took over Youtube, and that has been a mess since.

Anyway...regardless of the issues with the old design, I stick by my opinion about the new design. It's too blocky, the contrast is too high & buttons are too big (which makes it feel like I'm using a lower resolution).

• Registered Users Posts: 17 alba123

This was discussed (I believe several times) before but never followed up on....for there there to be by-region subcategories in the 'musicians available or wanted' section of the 'bands & musicians community'. To have that forum split into different regions would make it a much more useful tool for musicians and would, I believe, attract more people to sign up and use that forum.

Perhaps now is a good time to add such a change?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

OK...I've just finished reading through most of the replies here. I think, like some others, that perhaps I am being overly critical of the new design. Probably due to my fondness of boards.ie...and not wanting any 'risk' of something I like being changed.

So, I'm going to use it for a few days and give it an honest fair shot.

And glad to know that we will always have the option to stick with the current skin. That calms my main fears anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

How do I mark my threads as read on this thing ?

• Administrators Posts: 53,842 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Long usernames now break the layout (on the right hand side):

longuser.PNG

Pretty sure that didn't happen before :)

(Edit - I edited the screenshot as it was ridiculously wide by cutting out a bit in the middle, I don't have a ridiculously low res. The issue repros on 1280 wide px :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

^^ Just noticed that now too, it makes a mess of the page and dont recall it happening previously. .

• Administrators Posts: 53,842 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Feature request:

On other forums I use, user posted images (posted using the img bb codes) are shown at an absolute max size no matter what size the original image is. If for example the site admin decides images can't be more than 800 wide even if a user posts an image of 1600 wide it still only shows at 800.

Presumably this is done with the height/width html attributes or something along those lines, but it's a useful feature to prevent annoying page layout breaks and there is no real reason a user needs to post huge images (and if they do they can just link!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

It loads very slow on the iPhone and I usually use the full site on my phone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭bladespin

How do I get back to the old layout?:rolleyes:

bladespin wrote: »
    How do I get back to the old layout?:rolleyes:

Post #1 in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭bladespin

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Post #1 in the thread.

Cheers, might've been a bit quick off the mark, it's a bit easier to use but looks all wrong, not sure :(

bladespin wrote: »
    Cheers, might've been a bit quick off the mark, it's a bit easier to use but looks all wrong, not sure :(

I've decided to use it for at least a week just to get used to it. If I still have the niggling desire to go back to the old beta after that I probably will. Can't hurt to give this one a decent go if this is where all the new feature will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Salt001

I honestly don't know why they had to mess with it in the first place :D:D.
    Looks good and the drop down is cool and easier to use.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement