Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated look for the site.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

fjon wrote: »
    One issue: beside my name on the top right corner it displays "1" for Followed Threads, even though there are no new posts in any of my followed threads.
    This happens to me too. But it also shows 4 when I have 3 etc. It always one more than I actually have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Changed back because there was a problem scrolling on the new skin for some reason. There was a delay or lack of response that made it hugely irritating ... On my iPhone anyway. Changed back, no issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

One issue: beside my name on the top right corner it displays "1" for Followed Threads, even though there are no new posts in any of my followed threads.

This isn't a new skin issue, Beta would have reported the same for you. It's a bug in vBulletin and has been around since the dawn of time (well, almost). It happens where you follow a thread and then the thread is soft-deleted by a moderator. It should update your subscription record to say the thread has been removed, but in some cases that doesn't happen. So you get a thread unread notification but can't see the thread in any of your lists :)

I've got an open bug ticket for it, so hopefully we'll get it resolved for you soon.

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

This isn't a new skin issue, Beta would have reported the same for you. It's a bug in vBulletin and has been around since the dawn of time (well, almost). It happens where you follow a thread and then the thread is soft-deleted by a moderator. It should update your subscription record to say the thread has been removed, but in some cases that doesn't happen. So you get a thread unread notification but can't see the thread in any of your lists :)

I've got an open bug ticket for it, so hopefully we'll get it resolved for you soon.

Danny

Cheers, it has been fixed now - the 1 is gone. I think I know what thread caused the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Cheers, it has been fixed now - the 1 is gone. I think I know what thread caused the problem.

I forgot to mention it, but I fixed it for you there when I was checking it out which is why it no longer appears :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

not sure if its been posted, but i dont like the way the header remains at the top of the page when you scroll down. Makes it harder to look at boards in work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Yes its been mentioned before, if you go to your CP and edit options , there should be an option to unstick the header

I've already selected that, i'm too used to just pressing the home key.

Though i do think the bread crumb black bar should stay on the screen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Starting to get used to it now. Would still like it to be wider though. So much waste of screen and the white burns my eyes :'[

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Not mad about new skin, switched back as links didn't work on IOS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Boards.ie: Tony

We've update the OP with info about the changes / updates we're going to make based on the feedback we've been getting.
    Feel free to pop over HERE and have a look and see what you think!

Thanks,
    T.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

Really liking the new design, except for the "Breadcrumbs" trail (I think that's what Dav called it) being transparent. It's only a small thing, but when you're scrolling down I find the text on the trail becomes muddied with the forum text behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Did ye swap the preview post and submit reply, or am I losing my marbles? :D

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Did ye swap the preview post and submit reply, or am I losing my marbles? :D

You're not losing your marbles. They were swapped to bring them in line with usability standards! Sorry for the confusion all these years, but it's been fixed now. Preview on the Left, Submit on the Right! :)

Priori wrote: »
    Really liking the new design, except for the "Breadcrumbs" trail (I think that's what Dav called it) being transparent. It's only a small thing, but when you're scrolling down I find the text on the trail becomes muddied with the forum text behind it.

It's something we're keeping and eye on and playing with possible solutions for it.

You're not losing your marbles. They were swapped to bring them in line with usability standards! Sorry for the confusion all these years, but it's been fixed now. Preview on the Left, Submit on the Right! :)

I F**cking knew , thought i was going crazy, every time i was clicking the preview post button :p

If you didn't have the submit post button in Blue it'll be much worse haha

All in all , its a great redesign. It looks much better ,albeit brighter :o

Nice job lads

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Bug Report: The drop down arrows aren't always complete arrows, obviously not an issue just something I spotted.
    IE 9.0.8
    Screen Res: 1440 x 900

Boards_4.jpg

Otherwise I've gotten used to using it now!

Kenno90 wrote: »
    I F**cking knew , thought i was going crazy, every time i was clicking the preview post button :p

If you didn't have the submit post button in Blue it'll be much worse haha

All in all , its a great redesign. It looks much better ,albeit brighter :o

Nice job lads

And that's why the primary action gets the primary action colour! :D

Bug Report: The drop down arrows aren't always complete arrows, obviously not an issue just something I spotted.
    IE 9.0.8
    Screen Res: 1440 x 900

Boards_4.jpg

Otherwise I've gotten used to using it now!

hmmm... I'm not seeing that on a similar set up.
    Will keep an eye and bug test it over the weekend on a different machine.
    Thanks!

hmmm... I'm not seeing that on a similar set up.
    Will keep an eye and bug test it over the weekend on a different machine.
    Thanks!

I also noticed something while browsing on my ipad. I'm not sure how keen you are on receiving mobile bugs but anyways.

When selecting the Rec tab at the top of the page, the expanded sub forums go off the page , that's annoying sure, but you can't scroll over. its hard to explain. When i'm back on my ipad i'll screenshot it and attach it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Switched back to the old beta, and now I keep pressing preview post instead of submit because I got used to the new ones layout. :pac:

I think the updates outlined in the OP will pretty much solve all the issues I have with new beta. (well, except for the My Threads link and direct Edit Sig link, but I'd live without them for the general layout of the new beta[which I generally prefer])

• Advertisement

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Switched back to the old beta, and now I keep pressing preview post instead of submit because I got used to the new ones layout. :pac:

I think the updates outlined in the OP will pretty much solve all the issues I have with new beta. (well, except for the My Threads link and direct Edit Sig link, but I'd live without them for the general layout of the new beta[which I generally prefer])

I couldn't care less about sigs, waste bandwidth , thank god we can disable them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Kenno90 wrote: »
    I couldn't care less about sigs, waste bandwidth , thank god we can disable them

Well the only reason I brought it up was that there's a link to change your email and password in the user menu, but not a direct sig one like there is in the old beta. It's not a major deal really (I can live without it like), just more convenient for anyone who does like to update their sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Awesome feedback, lads. Quality, thought-provoking stuff.

Maybe change the first post from "We’re looking for any / all feedback on the site, good and bad." to "please limit your comments to arselicking in order avoid upsetting random mods"

Otherwise, as you were troops :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

I hate it. Shiny was cool looking about 4 years ago.

Will be sticking with the bog standard skin.

It's something we're keeping and eye on and playing with possible solutions for it.

Hey Tony, check out the tabbed breadcrumbs on the XBMC forums, works and looks very well
    http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=90682

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Hey Tony, check out the tabbed breadcrumbs on the XBMC forums, works and looks very well
    http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=90682

Oh... they are noice! Not sure if they would work in that incarnation given we've got the sticky header, but there's ideas there we can definitely look at!

What do you think of their sticky header?

Thanks PogMoThoin

Oh... they are noice! Not sure if they would work in that incarnation given we've got the sticky header, but there's ideas there we can definitely look at!

Thanks PogMoThoin

The reason I suggested that site is that it was vbulletin before their changes and it looked very similar to Boards. Not too gone on their sticky header when it doesn't include the site logo, needs the logo like you've done here. Similar tabbed breadcrumbs could look very good here, worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Thanks PogMoThoin

Its good because its not 103px high.

Id disagree with PogMoThoin on the site logo because it increases the height of it. But then again, having the logo there is good for other reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Tony,

I noticed the text is transparent also on the breadcrumb.

Quick tip to stop that from happening.

Change:
    #breadcrumb {
    background: #000;
    }

to
    #breadcrumb {
    background: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.7);
    }

And get rid of
    opacity: 0.7;

That will only make the background transparent and not the text aswell :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭secretambition

I really like how the forums are neatly categorized along the bar on top of the page. It's much better than scrolling through the long list on the old one.

I'm going to stick with this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement