Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated look for the site.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Not mad about it but would probably grow on me

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

The posts disappearing under the breadcrumbs bar... is a bit off-putting. Would prefer it to be solid. That just an opinion.

The forums list though...... Is buggy. If the browser window is below a certain size, the Rec forum automatically exapnds left, past the edge, with no scroll bar to compensate

Sorry, not sure how to embed images.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

flyswatter wrote: »
    Don't see the advantage, it just desimplifies the process and increases the time spent.

....you see, you're doing it yourself: 'desimplifies' ?
    You mean, 'complicate' ..?? :D

Is 'desimplifies' even a proper word ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I actually can't understand why people are complaining so much though

the op asks for feedback
    its not complaining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

galwaytt wrote: »
    ....you see, you're doing it yourself: 'desimplifies' ?
    You mean, 'complicate' ..?? :D

Is 'desimplifies' even a proper word ??

No, I don't think so. :pac:

Yeah, whatever you said. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭bren50c

Type: Design
    Issue: Like the new look but the horizontal scrolling issue that's been mentioned already, I think is a dealbreaker. Using the old skin i can read threads without any horizontal scrolling. Attached Screenshots
    http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/6075/oldskin.jpg
    http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/2106/newskinr.jpg
    Browser & OS: Chrome 19.0.1084.56 m and Win 7 64
    Screen Resolution: 1280x800 (max possible on my laptop, and presumably a good few other laptops)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

I've had to switch back to the old one. I can't seem to find a way to hide the header bar on top. It's way too big and when viewing boards in work it doesn't look good at all. I actually really like the design of the header, I just don't like that I can't remove it or hide it.

Can an option be introduced to hide/show the header or at least detach it from being permanently at the top of the viewing window?

apart from that, everything looks great, but the header is a dealbreaker.

Edit: This thread is a bit out of control. After searching for a while I was able to find a temporary solution. For anyone else who needs it, you can turn off the sticky header in Edit Options in the UserCP. Not perfect solution, but it will have to do for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

Sorry if any of this is already mentioned I did read all the replies -

I'm not gone on the new wideness of it - they did something similar in gmail a while ago and I was able to set it back to the narrower sort of view if you know what I mean. This view is too.. spaced out or too bright or something and for some reason I find that a bit harder on the eye.

Also if you hover on a subforum it doesn't automatically expand, I think it did before? I'd prefer if it did that.

I do like the drop down near my username and the My Forums being right beside it though! :)

* Edited to add that I don't like the new notification beside my username when a new post is added to a thread I've posted in! I'd find the email notification enough. Maybe it's cos I'm weird and I'd have to keep clearing that notification rather than just leaving them though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭gnolan

I'd like the option to pin and unpin the fixed bar at the top with the boards logo and search box. It takes up too much screen space imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Macers wrote: »
    Like the new look!

Feedback suggestion: Possible to introduce infinite scrolling? ie scrolling down with load the next page?

You could break the pages with quick Post replies and pages numbers etc.

You can install an add-on (firefox) or extension (chrome) for this.

AutoPager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

On another note. The Edit Options screen is very hard to read. The layout and lack of styles makes it very confusing to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I have no complaints. I like the ease of access on the profile drop down, having to press a button to get the sub forums on the menu will need some getting used to but I'm sure I will without to much bother. I'll also have to get used to not having to scroll up the page for the menu.

Colour/layout all looks good to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭finipops

The new beta look is well better and easy to navigate than the older one. I like it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Type: Bug
    Issue: My notifications is displaying one more than I actually have at all times. (See screenshot).
    Browser & OS: Firefox 13.0.1, Windows XP

Other than that, I think it works well. It's a bit bright, as others have mentioned. Are there any plans to allow different colour schemes?

Also, you should really set the default option such that the header bar doesn't sticky. A lot of users are already unhappy with it and finding it difficult to disable, I think you should take it as read that most people don't want it to work that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Type: Bug/Feature Suggestion
    Issue: Don't enter any text into the Omnibox, then hit the search button. Returns an error: "Failed to decode JSON: Syntax error". As a feature suggestion, I'd suggest it instead goes to http://www.boards.ie/search2/advanced, as there's no way to jump to this screen without performing a search first
    Browser & OS: N/a
    Screen Resolution: N/a

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Tigger wrote: »
    the op asks for feedback
    its not complaining

Immediately saying "how do I change it back" (which is detailed in the first post) is complaining, it's not feedback. I'm mostly talking about the first 2 pages.

There is a good bit of constructive criticism, but at the same time, there is a lot of complaining about it's very existence, from the same type of people who complain about facebook updates, it's stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

Stranger Danger :eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Max Power1 wrote: »
    So it doesnt work on IE7 I see... seeing as the majority of boards surfing is (id imagine) office workers, thats unfortunate!

IE accounts for 18.1% of the borwser market, of that 18.1%, IE7 accounts for 2.1% and is constantly falling

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

I like the fact that when you're following a thread and someone posts, it shows up as "1" beside your username.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I like it. It would be nice if you could change the colour of the new beta skin. Ive used boards brown colour skin since I joined and it'd be nice if I could do the same with this.

Edit: I find this transparent breadcrumb bar annoying. I think it takes up too much space on my screen (24" 1680x1050) and takes away from the actual content. It would be nice if you included it as part of the blue Boards.ie bar above it. Perhaps its just on my screen

orI9v.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,183 ✭✭✭batistuta9

negatives:

It's a bit on the big side - like someone was Ctrl+'ing the screen

you can't see as many posts now for example without scrolling down further because of this, it just looks too big for some reason

the menuBar for the forums auto moving down the page same for the omnibox menuBar

also if the omnibox menuBar could be hidden/expanded similar to MS word it would be good

positives:

I actually like both the new menuBars except for the reasons i gave above, their v.good

although maybe you could have sorted out the forums before rolling this out - thought you were doing this anyway, or maybe it was just with Television - things can be hard to find on hear if you don't know where they are - state benefits couldn't find that for ages.

the only reason i know some forums exist is i've seen them on the home page as recently posted in forums but i suppose there structured as well as can be expected

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The new notifications is a really nice feature!

I would also like to add that the relocation of the "my forums" is really good!

Mc Love wrote: »
    The new notifications is a really nice feature!

This was available on the old Beta skin. They definitely have improved it though and some of the bugs that were associated with the other one are gone now.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet (probably has been), but is it possible to change the subforums from a click to a hover over to reveal them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

A minor gripe for me: when I'm using the site, I always click the 'User CP' link in the sub-navigation, and look at the threads I post in that way. The User CP link is hidden in a dropdown menu now. Obviously takes no time to hover over the menu, but I'd be clicking that link many times per day (!), so if it were in one of the nav bars then it'd make me a happy guy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Anyone any idea why I cant disable the sticky header ? I'm using Firefox 11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Boards.ie: Tony

For everyone asking about how to Unstick the header, you can :

It can be unstuck in the Control Panel -> Edit Options. Down the end of the page is the option to Unstick the header

gnolan wrote: »
    I'd like the option to pin and unpin the fixed bar at the top with the boards logo and search box. It takes up too much screen space imo.

It can be unstuck in the Control Panel -> Edit Options. Down the end of the page is the option to Unstick the header

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Nice but the text in the left bar should be made a lot smaller to reduce the whitespace. The boards.ie/search forums/doc ruby/my forums bar is useless to me and always on-screen, that's the only real annoyance. How about social media badges on the left bar, so people can share posts and threads on facebook and twitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

batistuta9 wrote: »
    the menuBar for the forums auto moving down the page same for the omnibox menuBar

also if the omnibox menuBar could be hidden/expanded similar to MS word it would be good
    d

Username>Control Panel>Edit Options>Unstick header. (Unstick is at the very bottom of the edit options page.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

For everyone asking about how to Unstick the header, you can :

Doesnt work for me for some reason though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement