Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you could change one thing about Ireland....

• 27-06-2012 12:09pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So lets say you are granted a wish by genie, and the wish is that you can change one thing about Ireland for the better. What would it be?

The only catch is that it is must be realistic and positive in nature and have nothing to do with politics.

I'll kick off with a revised education system that puts greater emphasis on encouragin students to think for themselves, fosters creativity and less focus on data retention.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

weather...duh!

Realistic? Hmmmmmm......the quality of programs on RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,276 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

A feckin land bridge somewhere so we could drive to Europe! Pain in the arse having to fly everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

That eveything would be made of chocolate... nom nom nom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

The hah-hih-tooode of the people. Bunch of miserable cnuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Full employment! Loads more good stuff will follow on from that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

The weather of course. And only in Summer, I like rain, and I like winter, but from May to September it would be nice to have warm weather and lots of sunshine. It makes everyone happier.

I do like the landbridge suggestion though. That would be pretty handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jorah

I'd like to see a United Ireland.

United under British rule.

- Jimmy Carr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭deisebibo

The weather of course. And only in Summer, I like rain, and I like winter, but from May to September it would be nice to have warm weather and lots of sunshine. It makes everyone happier.

I do like the landbridge suggestion though. That would be pretty handy.

Yep I agree, the weather in the summer time, and the landbridge thing would be a great idea

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

more asian women

• Advertisement

Nice weather today tho and it was so humid last night, the slight breeze was even warm.....please tell me the forecast is good for the weekend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

id like to see more help and encouragement given to small business that help local communities and not multinationals that export profits and close down putting hundreds out of work as soon as there is a profit warning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

faceman wrote: »
    The only catch is that it is must be realistic and positive in nature and have nothing to do with politics.

in AH forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

More social activities that don't revolve around the pub or alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

kfallon wrote: »
    Nice weather today tho and it was so humid last night, the slight breeze was even warm.....please tell me the forecast is good for the weekend :)

Fierce close of late.

chin_grin wrote: »
    Fierce close of late.

Very muggy

More social activities that don't revolve around the pub or alcohol.

FYP :pac:
    Only kiddin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Better women

*runs*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Get rid of the drunk scumbags... So the streets can be safer and all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Maybe not Ireland, but the Irish : more relaxed and happy relationship to their own bodies.
    It sometimes makes me sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭deisebibo

:D
    Better women

*runs*

Are you in anticipation that someone of those women would chase you? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Reasonably priced Child Care and after school.

However I know its impossible ! Something easy like 2 months of decent weather every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

A government not composed of teachers and publicans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It'd be the weather for me too. Hot, sunny summers, autumns to be crisp and a bit wet, winters to have regular snow (enough to create ski pistes in our mountains) and springs to be warm with lower rain / snowfall.

If I can't have that: a culture of universal respect for, and interest in, education. With interested students and parents, the standards would improve massively: good teachers wouldn't have to deal with brats being dragged up by scumbags and bad teachers wouldn't be tolerated by parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭patmac

kfallon wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579971&page=169

Rewind back to 2002 and spend the money wisely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Irish workers would own the means of production.

AH answer: spuds would taste like chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 1Tony1

Thats a tough one weather is good one but obviously better employment and work conditions would be great too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Bring back Capital Punishment.Seriously though,we need tougher laws in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Infrastructure and Transport. With no expense spared, I would send civil servants to Germany and Japan ( assuming they would be willing to help ) to learn how to completely redesign and implement a proper public transport system, the Netherlands for a country wide cycling infrastructure and then maybe Spain to learn all about road surfacing technique and materials. Any affected interests would be paid a modest amount of money during implementation, which would be fairly assessed with proper legislation in place to support - no parish pump moaning to interrupt the wider project. A world class energy efficient infrastructure would deliver improvements almost everywhere else - Health, Education, Commerce, Tourism.

Then, I would install a roof like Wembley Stadium to sort out our summers.

Then, I would ship all the city center junkies out to military style bootcamp to sort themselves out, and retrain them as ghost bus tour guides.

Vote No 1 - ror_74

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Enormous oil reserves

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 johnjoe7

Two W's: Weather and women.

/thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Weather, this is it for the summer btw, muck all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

That we had our own language and all of the population could speak it fluently. Not enough done in this country to promote Irish language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭MrReynholm

teednab-el wrote: »
    That we had our own language and all of the population could speak it fluently. Not enough done in this country to promote Irish language.
    Everyone that goes through the schooling system is forced to learn and be examined on their knowledge of the language for 12 consecutive years. I can't see what more people expect them to do to "promote" the language when it's clear that only a tiny minority of people have even a vague interest in it.

If I could change one thing about Ireland it would be the weather. Proper summers and proper winters would drive a number of industries here and would make most people significantly happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

I'd put a T in front of Ireland just to confuse everyone, considering a lot of foreigners don't know what Ireland is, they'd be shocked to discover there's a country called Tireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

MrReynholm wrote: »
    Everyone that goes through the schooling system is forced to learn and be examined on their knowledge of the language for 12 consecutive years. I can't see what more people expect them to do to "promote" the language when it's clear that only a tiny minority of people have even a vague interest in it.

Actually try to teach it in a manner that is not forcing you to memorise and retain a load of information over the 12 years would help. More time "living" the language and less time learning off stupid fcuking poems and short stories just so you can answer some questions after you have done this.

Oh realistic changes?

More puppies!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

I'd reinstate the old Irish nobility and reclaim the lost glory days and the provinces would once again become kingdoms, warring with each other from time to time for various reasons.

Just for the shíts 'n giggles like. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Make it traveller free

Or else make the feckers work like the rest of us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

I'd like to see greater accountability among those who've contributed to Ireland's fcuked economy; lenders and borrowers alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I would do more to prevent class erosion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Cannot go politics so i will say a properly run banking system.

that or make people more civic minded

although a change in the political culture would be good too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

brits out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Weather. 35 degree summer and 15 degree winter. Snow for 3 days per year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Jobs for everybody or maybe some good weather so we could all holiday at home .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Asshole holocaust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Money tree plantations :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Money tree plantations :D

Don't be silly, that would just cause massive inflation and fuck the economy even worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Don't be silly, that would just cause massive inflation and fuck the economy even worse

Only if someone tells the Germans. We would be smart about it!
    Invest heavily in land, livestock and red diesel. Agriculture in Ireland looks good so that's our cover. Now we wash the red diesel and sell it to the English as white diesel. They see the benefit of increased cross-border trade and think we're generating out own success. They trust us with the other 6 counties and we all leave the dole queue and form a new line to shake hands with the queen.
    Then we buy some nice weather from Spain and Greece and take their tourists.

We ****ed it the last time and learned our lesson!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Turn all the Romas into Brazilian swimwear models!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

faceman wrote: »
    So lets say you are granted a wish by genie, and the wish is that you can change one thing about Ireland for the better. What would it be?

You would have to take a ferry to Dublin Island.

;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement