Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mc Donagh Surname Translation

• 27-06-2012 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi

I am wondering what the correct translation for the "Mc Donagh" surname is.

I have been told "Mac Donnachadha" is the correct translation but I have also been told that it is the male translation, where I am looking for the female translation.

Some say to put Ní in front is that right?

Id apprectiate if anyone could help.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Nic Dhonncha is what you're looking for, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cmcd2526

Nic Dhonncha is what you're looking for, I think.

and you would pronounce that .... knee gunn igg........ ya?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

"Nick Gunn-uck-ah" would be how I'd pronounce it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

cmcd2526 wrote: »
    Hi

I am wondering what the correct translation for the "Mc Donagh" surname is.

I have been told "Mac Donnachadha" is the correct translation but I have also been told that it is the male translation, where I am looking for the female translation.

Some say to put Ní in front is that right?

Id apprectiate if anyone could help.

Thanks

Just adding to what Insect Overlord has already said; Ó becomes in the unmarried female version, and Mac becomes Nic and the word following will generally (though not always) take a séimhiú ('h' after the initial consanant). So if McDonagh is your maiden name, the Irish female version would be, as already stated, Nic Dhonncha.

But that's only if it's your maiden name and not your married name. It would be Mhic Dhonncha if it's your married name.

There are two forms of spelling of this name, which are the traditional and modern form. Nic Dhonnchadha is the traditional and Nic Dhonncha is the modern one. Both are correct and acceptable in common usage, though the modern one is more reflective of the modern pronunciation of the language (i.e. no silent letters). Which one you choose to use is a matter of personal taste really.

I agree with IO's recommended pronunciation of the name.

If you wish to do anymore research on this yourself, I recommend An Sloinnteoir Gaeilge agus an tAinmneoir by Muiris Ó Droighneáin and The Surnames of Ireland by Edward MacLysaght, both of which can be purchased online.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Rhedyn

Gael wrote: »
    There are two forms of spelling of this name, which are the traditional and modern form. Nic Dhonnchadha is the traditional and Nic Dhonncha is the modern one. Both are correct and acceptable in common usage.

I agree. But they both have the unwritten middle "a" sound, I think it is called a "helping vowel", like in the name Sorcha.

• Advertisement
Advertisement