Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dorset Street

Options
  • 27-06-2012 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

My partner and I are in the process of looking for a new place to live and we have viewed a quite nice apartment on Dorset St, near the canal.

My main worry is that the apartment is road-facing and I am wondering whether it would be too loud from traffic, pubs etc.

Anybody with any experience of living in that area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Is it looking out onto Dorset St itself? Dorset St has the guts of 10+ different bus routes so it could be very noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Angel8ie

Ya it's a pretty busy area but the buses finish around half 11 so unless you're going to bed earlier than that you should be ok

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Are you from Dublin?

Dorset street can be a little rough in places and that canal attracts lots of people drinking etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

There'll be a lot more than just buses with plenty of heavier goods traffic though Port Tunnel will have removed a good portion of that. Also there'll be plenty of ambulances at all hours and possibly deliveries in the morning depending on what commercial premises are nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, what kind of windows do the apt have? Are they new/old? Double glazed/single glazed? Ask the landlord for the apts BER certificate rating. It's purpose is to rate how well insulated the apt it, not rate its noise level. But if the BER ratings is bad, odds are the windows do not have good insulation, and lots of noise will get in as the heat is escaping. I live in a noisy part of Dublin 1 and my windows are great. I can hardly hear a thing from the outside when they are closed. It's another story when they are open, and I imagine an apt fronting onto Dorset St directly would be just as noisy as my place, if not worse. It's a very busy main road, and with the Mater hospital just up the road from it, that just adds to the noise level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Dorset street is noisy as f**k, students coming home after a night out, ambulances going to the mater, the fire brigade etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nehemiah

Is it looking out onto Dorset St itself? Dorset St has the guts of 10+ different bus routes so it could be very noisy.
    Yeah it's looking onto the street so I fear it's a bit noisy. I lived in the same area when I was 18 or so but I was younger and less worried about noise :)
    Degsy wrote: »
    Are you from Dublin?

Dorset street can be a little rough in places and that canal attracts lots of people drinking etc.

I have lived in Dublin for quite a few years so know the area pretty well. I'm not too worried about the danger or people drinking at the canal etc, it's just the noise really.
    ProudDUB wrote: »
    OP, what kind of windows do the apt have? Are they new/old? Double glazed/single glazed? Ask the landlord for the apts BER certificate rating. It's purpose is to rate how well insulated the apt it, not rate its noise level. But if the BER ratings is bad, odds are the windows do not have good insulation, and lots of noise will get in as the heat is escaping. I live in a noisy part of Dublin 1 and my windows are great. I can hardly hear a thing from the outside when they are closed. It's another story when they are open, and I imagine an apt fronting onto Dorset St directly would be just as noisy as my place, if not worse. It's a very busy main road, and with the Mater hospital just up the road from it, that just adds to the noise level.

I think the windows are pretty old tbf. Not aluminium windows so it's very unlikely that they will keep much noise out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Where abouts are you? If you mean on the canal near the overhead bridge and the road heading up to drumcondra, then it's going to be loud. But Dorset Street is usually loud anyway. You have two pubs at least and quinns is just around by the overhead bridge and that's a student's spot.

Advertisement