Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best place to live in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Festy wrote: »
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/westport-recognised-as-best-place-to-live-in-ireland-556615.html

I have been there a few times and I don't think it's anything special to be quite honest.

What do the people of AH think ?

On behalf of the people of Dundalk i'd like to sincerely thank everyone who voted for us. Its an absolute pleasure to be voted the best place in Ireland to live.

(I didn't click the link... thats what it said, right?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

connemara but miles to get the milk and sugar thats the only problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

rathmines is a bit of a dump, dont know how it got there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Was there once, not sober ... but the place did seem alright while I waited a few hours for a taxi

bigneacy wrote: »
    On behalf of the people of Dundalk i'd like to sincerely thank everyone who voted for us. Its an absolute pleasure to be voted the best place in Ireland to live.

(I didn't click the link... thats what it said, right?)

It's our sense of humour that makes the place so great clearly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

Rathmines? Really? Sure its alright but top 4? Invalid poll is invalid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Westport is nice. I can see how it got first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

The Mammys house, free food and cleaning etc etc.
    It doesnt matter where in the country that is, thats the place to live.

Never should have moved out all those years ago, stupid stupid mistake :(

Other than the dirty town street and all the bed sits it has lovely areas of old houses and you're so close to the city centre it would be a nice place to live if you can afford to be in the quiet leafy parts.

Not sure about Westport though.

converted into bedsits.

living near some of the biggest criminals in south dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Yeah I agree but only because i think Ranelagh is much better has all the benefits of rathmines (proximity to city) has the green luas right through it and I love the pubs and restaurants there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Westport is lovely and all but AFAIK they get about twice as much rain as Dublin, couldn't handle that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

My everlasting memory of my one and only visit to Westport is a traffic jam caused by a mother duck and her 5 ducklings crossing the road on her way to the river. Everyone waited patiently and even took photographs.
    The only things that waddle cross the road in Rathmines are the ones going off to get smashed for the day, hardly a photographic opportunity.
    So its Westport for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 decriain

A good choice I agree. I see it also scores as best place to live in Mayo at http://www.likeplace.ie However, I am somewhat concerned about the process behind this.

Sure, there are many excellent reasons why Westport is "best". But were any counterarguments collected as to why it might not be? At least the above site allows locals to "count me out".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I like Westport and rented houses there in summer over the years. It is very expensive and a bit of a rip-off to eat out there though. They prey on tourists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

Aras an Uachtarain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

"The competition, run by The Irish Times, pitted the town against Cork city, Rathmines in Dublin, Ardara in Donegal and Killarney, Co Kerry. "

That explains it! In Dublin, some parts of Swords are nice. Raneleigh is nice but expensive. Dundalk has a bad reputation but up round Ravensdale is a great spot. Carlingford too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I reckon inside Grainne Seoige would be a beautiful place to live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Augmerson wrote: »

Room for expansion too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Augmerson wrote: »

Too cold for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

"The competition, run by The Irish Times, pitted the town against Cork city, Rathmines in Dublin, Ardara in Donegal and Killarney, Co Kerry. "

That explains it! In Dublin, some parts of Swords are nice. Raneleigh is nice but expensive. Dundalk has a bad reputation but up round Ravensdale is a great spot. Carlingford too.

Anywhere could be nominated, those are just the ones that got through to the last round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

The people of Westport, Co Mayo, are celebrating this morning after the town was named the best place to live in Ireland.

Were the people really celebrating this? If they were, I don't want to live there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Best place in Ireland to live if you happen to not need to work maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Hardly, I can't imagine it being that good with the weather they get.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 327 ✭✭LimGal

Load of Boll*cks if you ask me.

Everbody knows that Galway City is the best place to live in Ireland.

Look at all the kick ass festivals the city gets,hell the volvo ocean race festival starts today!!

I have been to Westport several times and could not wait to get out of there!
    I was bored out of my mind up there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

No Ballymun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Ballycuntybollocks,Co. Laois is lovely at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ciarang85

+1 for Ballymun

No Ballymun?
    ciarang85 wrote: »
    +1 for Ballymun

they dont call it ballyfun for nothing!

sligo is a great place pity it didnt get onto the list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Ballymun....poor mans Darndale really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Alpha Man

Yeah I agree but only because i think Ranelagh is much better has all the benefits of rathmines (proximity to city) has the green luas right through it and I love the pubs and restaurants there.

Yea I'd fully agree Ranelagh is a much nicer place to live than Rathmines. Great restaurants and pubs, don't have to leave the main st for a good night out

Alpha Man wrote: »
    Yea I'd fully agree Ranelagh is a much nicer place to live than Rathmines. Great restaurants and pubs, don't have to leave the main st for a good night out

and the hill has to be one of the greatest little pubs in dublin

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Ballymun....poor mans Darndale really.

Ballymun is just Darndale stacked vertically.

Ballymun is just Darndale stacked vertically.

I wish I could thank that twice....genuinely made me laugh.:D

Ballymun is just Darndale stacked vertically. :pac:

No seriously though I have lived in both, Ballymun's nicer, nicer tracksuits and everything. Plus it has 5 pubs. How many does Darndale have? none. Although Darndale can claim a genuine gateway to hell.

no thats dolphins barn. and darndale has the newtown house pub or 'the belcamp' as the locals call it

• Advertisement

no thats dolphins barn. and darndale has the newtown house pub or 'the belcamp' as the locals call it

Thats in Coolock industrial estate. I should know, I grew up in that pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

A house with no mortgage.

Belcamp pub is down by the graveyard, no?

Thats in Coolock industrial estate. I should know, I grew up in that pub.

its in the newtown industrial estate, i used to work there and its opposite darndale

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Belcamp pub is down by the graveyard, no?

thats campions

• Advertisement

thats campions

We used to sneek off school for a cheeky pint there. Sometimes a teacher or two would join us. School uniform didn't seem to deter them from serving us.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Were the people really celebrating this? If they were, I don't want to live there

They've not much else for doing tbh.

Was a nice town during the boom when the money flowed through from locals and tourists alike. The summers were great craic.

Changed big time since.

You have to leave Westport for a while before you can appreciate it properly.

Look Ballymun beats Weshtport hands down.

* We have 5 pubs (stab proof vests advised).
    * 2 hotels (just leave your diamond briefcases at home).
    * 6 community welfare officers, one for each estate (Clontarf and Killester has none, beat that ya posh twats).
    * The Main Motor tax office
    * A huge Garda station within shouting distance (Comes in handy)
    * A bronze tracksuited lady on a bronze horse (In case you forget what they looked like)
    * Lots of schools
    * Good bus routes, direct train from bikini bottom See Here
    * One of the best University's in Éire (Well its off Ballymun road)
    * Never boring (It's like Halloween every night!)
    * If you like kids on motorbikes , you're in for a treat!
    * IKEA - Like lego land, only bigger!
    * Aldi - and Blackrock has M&S, losers
    * Loads of public parks and the very nice Northwood adjacent
    * Great place for people interested in amateur chemistry.

How to find Ballymun

Take the M50 until you see a giant blue box in a field. Take that exit and continue to Shopping centre. If you see someone in a suit, you've gone to far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

LimGal wrote: »
    Load of Boll*cks if you ask me.

Everbody knows that Galway City is the best place to live in Ireland.

Look at all the kick ass festivals the city gets,hell the volvo ocean race festival starts today!!

I have been to Westport several times and could not wait to get out of there!
    I was bored out of my mind up there!

True but it's nearly always to wet to enjoy any of them

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

I'm not even from Ranelagh and I think it would probably be a great place to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

South County Dublin by Irish standards is awesome, only thing is, nothing goes on in these places. Dalkey/Killiney,Donnybrook, Ballsbridge etc. all great though, some of the houses up around Carrickmines/Cabinteely are are unreal.

EdenHazard wrote: »
    South County Dublin by Irish standards is awesome, only thing is, nothing goes on in these places. Dalkey/Killiney,Donnybrook, Ballsbridge etc. all great though, some of the houses up around Carrickmines/Cabinteely are are unreal.

Nothing goes on there because they are all away in Switzerland laughing at us, and hiding from the taxman.

EdenHazard wrote: »

some of the houses in malahide, portmarnock, howth and castlenock in north county dublin are some of the nicest in the country, especially howth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

some of the houses in malahide, portmarnock, howth and castlenock in north county dublin are some of the nicest in the country, especially howth

Many paid for by RTE licence payers.

Google map streetview the Georgian village castlenock to see some stunning houses.

I personally think Clontarf is lovely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement