Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best place to live in Ireland

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

mikom wrote: »
    Many paid for by RTE licence payers.

?

like killiney?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

connemara but miles to get the milk and sugar thats the only problem!

why don't you skip the milk and sugar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

?

like killiney?

Does he work there as well. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Its obviously Southill in Limerick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/battle-for-gorse-hill-to-cost-kennys-up-to

If you can't trick your way into owning it then you have to buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

connemara but miles to get the milk and sugar thats the only problem!

There are ways and means to live most places. Sugar is pure crap so you can do without it. You could invest in a few bee hives if you've a sweet tooth. If you don't own any land you can rent some, get a herd no. and buy a couple of small milk cows, like dexter, for milk. A vegetable garden and poly tunnel, an acre of spuds, a few hens and you won't do much stopping at the shop any more. Stock up month by month with what you can't grow or make yourself and you're sorted.

But all in all, Connemara is an absolutely terrible place to live, so I'd strongly advise anyone thinking of it not too.

(We're all full up :p )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

If you like rocks and being miles from civilization, you'll just love Lettermullen, Connemara! Nothing beats being back the arseways of Galway than this place!

4c2d8c514c7d8d5df4576fccd72a3e7faaa01d1e

Come on, can I sell it or what? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Alpha Man

and the hill has to be one of the greatest little pubs in dublin

Lived in Ranelagh for two years and never made it to the hill, moving back that way shortly must give it a try instead of smyth's some night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Google map streetview the Georgian village castlenock to see some stunning houses.

I personally think Clontarf is lovely.

Castleknock has some nice houses but crime is high. I lived around in Castlecurragh for a while and was constantly hearing stories about burglaries and cars being stolen in Castleknock.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Castleknock has some nice houses but crime is high. I lived around in Castlecurragh for a while and was constantly hearing stories about burglaries and cars being stolen in Castleknock.

Yes - my car was one of them.:mad: Castleknock is grand but has quite a few pretentious false eejits. Having the Phoenix Park and the Liffey Valley on your doorstep is a plus.

Ranelagh is miles nicer than Rathmines. Westport is lovely. Galway city, Clifden, Clonakilty, Kenmare and Sligo would also be top of my list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Were the people really celebrating this? If they were, I don't want to live there

They've not much else for doing tbh.

Was a nice town during the boom when the money flowed through from locals and tourists alike. The summers were great craic.

Changed big time since.

You have to leave Westport for a while before you can appreciate it properly.
    I'm not so sure..I love it there.
    Moved there from kildare 13 years ago. Great quality of life and community spirit. I hate going back to kildare..full of "Howyazz" and dubs who wanted to move "down the country" but never went further. (No offence) weather isn't anything as bad as you think. Plenty of work too if your willing to get off your hole!!..soul..that's what it has that's lacking elsewhere..bit like Galway in the 80's..now..I'm off to the beach for a walk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Not surprised by the nominations but yes Wesport and Killarney be by far the nicest and most scenic places to live. :cool: Delighted that Wesport got first place, love visiting there! Really fab place to visit other than parts of Kerry and Cork, might add Clare and Galway there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

The last time I was in Westport there was no McDonalds. So for that reason I think the poll was rigged.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Roscrea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Far nicer towns in North Tipp then Roscrea

Terryglass is the best
    So that's my nomination

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Far nicer towns in North Tipp then Roscrea

Terryglass is the best
    So that's my nomination

But I'm from Ros Mike, so that obviously makes it the most desirable dwelling spot in North Tipp. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The only unique thing about that town is that it's home to the only McDonalds in North Tipp

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The only unique thing about that town is that it's home to the only McDonalds in North Tipp

Don't forget about our Norman castle that was once the seat of power in this island. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

I've gone camping down near Westport (Old Head beside Croagh Patrick) numerous times when I was younger and I also have relatives around the area. It's a really nice town and great scenery in the region too; I like the drive from there to Louisburgh and then onto Leenane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Hooray for Westport! Been living near it (on that road to Louisburgh) for almost 13 years, and love it. It still has no MacDonalds. This, I think, is a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

greenpilot wrote: »
    I'm not so sure..I love it there.
    Moved there from kildare 13 years ago. Great quality of life and community spirit. I hate going back to kildare..full of "Howyazz" and dubs who wanted to move "down the country" but never went further. (No offence) weather isn't anything as bad as you think. Plenty of work too if your willing to get off your hole!!..soul..that's what it has that's lacking elsewhere..bit like Galway in the 80's..now..I'm off to the beach for a walk!

I'm sure i grew up there, it's not the same place it was a few years ago. End of story. Theres a lot of unemployed people in westport that were in construction and there's shag all jobs in westport unless you want to work in tesco or have a qualification. Don't know where your getting that from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭greenpilot

I'm sure i grew up there, it's not the same place it was a few years ago. End of story. Theres a lot of unemployed people in westport that were in construction and there's shag all jobs in westport unless you want to work in tesco or have a qualification. Don't know where your getting that from.

Well, I'm getting it from the fact that I live in Westport, and I'm working in Westport.

Not Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Parts of West Cork are nice though in particular Clonakility surprised that didn't get on the list!? And places in Kerry other than Killarney! Ring of Kerry Spring to mind....

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Flaker

Festy wrote: »
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/westport-recognised-as-best-place-to-live-in-ireland-556615.html

I have been there a few times and I don't think it's anything special to be quite honest.

What do the people of AH think ?

Yeah but you only visited it - you can't really judge if it is a good place to live on that basis.

Then again, neither can the judges unless they all lived there and all the other places on the list too.....

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

Gap of Dunloe

Advertisement