Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making Hotsauce

Options
  • 27-06-2012 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

I started a new thread on this topic because the one or two others I found weren't exactly suitable but if mods feel other wise do your thing ;)

I got some dried Naga Jolokia chillies from the UK and want to turn them into hotsauce. Anyone any recipes they like? searching on the internet theres many different variations on how to go about it.

I want to make a vinegar based American style sauce, a fruity Mexican style sauce and probably a Piri Piri sauce.

Thanks.

Edit*Im also thinking of buying little 100ml glass bottles, making a huge batch and giving some to braver friends and tie me over, anyone seen these around Dublin? Shipping from the UK costs more then the bottles themselves.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I've never made one myself, but you may find some good tips on this site: http://www.hotsauceaddicts.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I made it twice before. In fact I just rediscoveered the bottle that I made and left to mature... four years ago.

It's not bad. Not like Tabasco - my favourite all-purpose chilli sauce - but similar enough to some of the others. Tabasco ferment/age their peppers in salt first before adding the vinegar. That somehow must give it the tabasco-y taste. That and whatever particular vinegar they use.

Anyway, I can't remember the exact ratio of ingredients used, but in went...

Vinegar, could have been wine or cider vinegar, can't remember
    Garlic cloves, chopped
    Sea salt
    Red chilli peppers, chopped
    Fresh jalapenos, chopped
    Lime juice
    Rum

I simmered the whole lot in a covered pot for about half an hour and then blended with a hand blender.

I poured it into a sterilised wine bottle with a screwtop (I worked out the quantities so that it would just about more than fill the bottle) and left it to "age" for a month or so... and ended up forgetting all about it. :)

The sauce settles in three distinct layers: sediment and solids, seeds and opaque liquid. I shake it before using.

Between the vinegar, salt and alcohol it's the brave little germ who would try to establish itself in that brew, so there's little chance of any spoilage happening! :pac:

I'm going to try another batch soon, but this time with smoky chipotle peppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's not bad. Not like Tabasco - my favourite all-purpose chilli sauce - but similar enough to some of the others. Tabasco ferment/age their peppers in salt first before adding the vinegar. That somehow must give it the tabasco-y taste. That and whatever particular vinegar they use.

It could also be the fact that they are aged in oak barrels, or the time - 3 years. I don't think they use too much salt, the finished salt isn't very salty anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 teflonchest

Just check this out... http://thehotpepper.com/forum/91-hot-sauce-making/
    They have a lot of interesting recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

You can get bottles here: http://www.alpack.ie/Glass_Sauce__Oil_Bottles/Default.122.html

It says order quantity of 60 but no harm ringing them to see if they're flexible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I made it twice before. In fact I just rediscoveered the bottle that I made and left to mature... four years ago.

Anyway, I can't remember the exact ratio of ingredients used, but in went...

Vinegar, could have been wine or cider vinegar, can't remember
    Garlic cloves, chopped
    Sea salt
    Red chilli peppers, chopped
    Fresh jalapenos, chopped
    Lime juice
    Rum

I simmered the whole lot in a covered pot for about half an hour and then blended with a hand blender.

I poured it into a sterilised wine bottle with a screwtop (I worked out the quantities so that it would just about more than fill the bottle) and left it to "age" for a month or so... and ended up forgetting all about it. :)

The sauce settles in three distinct layers: sediment and solids, seeds and opaque liquid. I shake it before using.

Between the vinegar, salt and alcohol it's the brave little germ who would try to establish itself in that brew, so there's little chance of any spoilage happening! :pac:

I'm going to try another batch soon, but this time with smoky chipotle peppers.

Great recipe! I'll be trying it soon, for my first attempt I wanted to make a thicker sauce like the American ones
    Just check this out... http://thehotpepper.com/forum/91-hot-sauce-making/
    They have a lot of interesting recipes.

Great link thanks for the heads up
    hardCopy wrote: »
    You can get bottles here: http://www.alpack.ie/Glass_Sauce__Oil_Bottles/Default.122.html
    2 gr
    It says order quantity of 60 but no harm ringing them to see if they're flexible.
    I was looking at them, my gf ended up picking me up 3 little swingtop bottles from Stock next to Stephens Green, great little bottles but where pricey at €4 something a pop :eek:

Made a first attempt today
    1 onion
    Approx 8-9 cloves of garlic
    1 sweet pepper peeled
    2 tomatos peeled
    2 jalapenos
    2 scotch bonnet
    2 green chillis
    squeeze of tomato paste
    salt
    pepper
    a sprinkle or two of some herbs and seasonings from the press in no real quantity to affect it
    I sweated the garlic, onion and chillis down in a little oil, added the tomatos and pepper and cooked a little more, added about equal parts white vinegar/rice vinegar to just about cover the veg and got it to a rolling boil. Then added the seasonings and left to reduce down. Blended it and bottled in sanitised bottles (everything I used once it came of the heat was sanitised.)

It turned out this rotten orangey colour (pic attached).
    Its nice, leaning towards an italian sauce flavour with a big, but manageable kick from the chillis. I don't have much of it so Im gonna get some feedback off people and see where I should go with it. Next time I wont be adding tomato paste or random herbs. Im gonna whip up some wings and try it on one, Id say itll be a nice wing sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I got some little jars (with lids) from http://www.epackaging.ie/ which would be perfect for your sauces :) Might be worth a look - I use mine for spice storage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Darkginger wrote: »
    I got some little jars (with lids) from http://www.epackaging.ie/ which would be perfect for your sauces :) Might be worth a look - I use mine for spice storage.

Thanks, Im sorted now though, I was asking my granny about how to make gooseberry jam and she asked me would I like some of her many jam jars she saves and no longer uses. Im going to drop up and get some really soon. :)

On a side note that sauce recipe I posted above has proven itself as a fantastic addition to a homemade burger and as a pork marinade but its not the sauce my jolokia chillis will be going into but I'll definatly make it again.

Advertisement