Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portugal vs Spain

• 27-06-2012 1:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭

856655.png

Possibly grabbed that from Eurosport.
    ESPN wrote:
    Spain's march towards international history is obscured by a Portugal side who might have sowed a seed of doubt in their Iberian neighbours' minds ahead of this semi-final tie. Spain have indeed been of metronomic nature in their approach at Euro 2012, looking untroubled in spite of not having to click through the gears. Yet, back in November 2010, the Portuguese inflicted on the Spanish their heaviest defeat since 1963.

In Lisbon, the Spanish were left "hurt", according to their midfielder Cesc Fabregas, as Portugal, Wednesday's opponents, recorded a 4-0 victory against the world and European champions. The Portuguese might just hang onto their potential psychological swing, for one grasps at any straw when playing the Spanish - who have won 31 out of 34 competitive games under head coach Vicente Del Bosque.

When taking on France in the quarter-finals this tournament, Spain barely drew breath to achieve a 2-0 scalp. It was another clean sheet, another success - they are 18 competitive games without defeat. There has been a waft of the churlish with regards this nation, their 4-6-0 formation mooted as arrogant, or even experimental to the extent they have won every other which way.

The haters perhaps stem from a neutral's perspective that understandably grows weary of consistently error-free performances while the other favourites for this year's crown, Germany, go about their business with a carefree swagger. Yet being top dog comes with a price, for even versus the better nations - see France - it is ensured the hatches are battened down for fear of the inevitable peppering.

"We have a lot of respect for them, but we have respect for ourselves too; we have a great squad and great players, and we're confident in our way of playing," right-back Joao Pereira said, in an attempt to reassure that Portugal will not be crawling within their shell. Certainly, it is a guarantee that at least Cristiano Ronaldo will have his chest puffed out.

Regarding team news, Portugal head coach Paulo Bento will not be able to name the same starting XI for the fifth game running as striker Helder Postiga is to miss out with a high injury. Hugo Almeida will spearhead the attack in his absence. Spain, meanwhile, have a clean bill of health and will therefore toy with idea of whether to deploy a false or a real nine.

Portugal player to watch: Cristiano Ronaldo.

The superhuman force that is Ronaldo is, without question, Portugal's best hope of sealing a place in Sunday's final in Kiev. He has taken the proverbial scruff of the neck of this competition, destroying Netherlands before launching himself at a diving header that defeated the Czechs 1-0. The Dutch paid the price for affording the Real Madrid star too much space to exploit, while the Czechs were ultimately unable to cope with his strengths. "For all the talk about Ronaldo we won't change our style and we don't have a special marking plan," Xabi Alonso said. "We'll study his play and we might make minor adjustments but our best defence is to play as a team and not give him space."

Spain player to watch: Andres Iniesta.

So concerned were France about the Barcelona player that they deployed two right-backs in a bid to nullify his threat. The trouble with Spain, though, is that they boast more than the one barrel with which to cause you damage. The French were right, however, to be wary of Iniesta, who, on his day, is one of the world's best playmakers. Perhaps he has not dazzled at Euro 2012 as much as he would have liked, but it is clear his focus is on the team, which he defended following question marks over their ethos this tournament: "We have our own style and it's brought us success. We won two trophies with this style of play. This is the style that brought us success and we cannot forget that a few years back this changed the history of Spain forever."

Key battle: Joao Moutinho v Sergio Busquets.

With Raul Meireles and Miguel Veloso the more defensive-minded of Portugal's central midfield trio, the creative onus is placed on Moutinho, who has enjoyed an impressive campaign this summer. After assisting Pepe's headed goal from a corner in the 3-2 win over Denmark in the group stage, Moutinho found the forehead of Ronaldo against the Czechs for the fixture's decisive moment. While Spain deploy two, on paper, more restrained midfielders in Alonso and Busquets, it is the latter who is charged with being the less progressive, as demonstrated by the former's brace against France. Busquets will need to support his team-mates in a bid to quieten the irrepressible Ronaldo.

Stats: Cristiano Ronaldo is the first ever player to attempt 30 shots (including blocked) at a single European Championship finals.

Trivia: Spain have won just two of their last 12 games against Portugal.

http://espnfc.com/en/preview/345929/preview.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

I do like how Menez will be featuring tonight. Guess nobody predicted that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

For the first and probably last time I'll be hoping Ronaldo has a very good night.

How long has Arbeloa been a left back? Who is Menez?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Renn wrote: »
    I do like how Menez will be featuring tonight. Guess nobody predicted that.

Never seen that coming, probably throw €20 on him E/W first scorer now for the sake of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

For some reason I really fancy Portugal to win tonight. Ronaldo must have a good game. Also for the sake of my bet, I hope he scores more than 1 :D .

Spain are beatable. Paulo Bento does play defensively which may work well if Spain continue without playing a striker. Spain will score, but I feel Portugal may nick it.

Ronaldo is 2/1 to score anytime. I can't recall bigger odds for him in this bet before. Cracking bet imo.

Saying that, I can see Spain just doing enough in a game with plenty of goals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Who is menez up front there for Spain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

I think if Portugal play defensively (which is 99% certain) then it will obviously favour Spain.
    Del Bosque wrote:
    I don't think France will just play deep. But I hope so.

Only one team have not lost to them/scored vs them and that's Italy. And they were the only team that actually had a go at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I trust Spain will be using Frances navy blue jerseys as well as using their players?

Spain 2 - 1 Portugal

That Ronaldo bet is tempting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Ronaldo is 2/1 to score anytime. I can't recall bigger odds for him in this bet before. Cracking bet imo.

Saying that, I can see Spain just doing enough in a game with plenty of goals.

Spain conceed very few chances, the least in this tournament despite playing a game more than some teams, they suffocate teams even more effectively than Barca. Also Portugal are no way as good as Madrid so the chances of Ronaldo scoring for them is obviously lower. Hence the 2/1!

• Advertisement

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Spain conceed very few chances, the least in this tournament despite playing a game more than some teams, they suffocate teams even more effectively than Barca. Also Portugal are no way as good as Madrid so the chances of Ronaldo scoring for them is obviously lower. Hence the 2/1!

Naturally enough he'll probably have less chances than in other games.

However, he will get at least one chance and that's all he needs as he's so clinical. Plus, he takes frees and pens.

As I say, I think it's good value. I'll certainly be having a piece of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Probably my two least favourite teams in it but I'll shout for Portugal. Think Spain will have too much for them though. I fancy them 2-1 (90 mins)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

Renn wrote: »
    856655.png

Possibly grabbed that from Eurosport.

http://espnfc.com/en/preview/345929/preview.html

Theres no Menez on the Spanish squad list.

And since when does Alba play right-back??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

im looking forward to this , could be a cracker if portugal score first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

do it Portugal.

and as importantly, do it Ronaldo.

simply because the troll in me would love to see people try and use it as a reason to make the Messi/Ronaldo debate even more unbearable than it already is.

think about it.

it'd be a right laugh :p

Junior D wrote: »
    Theres no Menez on the Spanish squad list.

And since when does Alba play right-back??

Menez plays for France, obviously a mistake but it's annoying that they do it in the one position there is doubt over who'll start in.

Yeah, love how they have left-footed Alba right back and Arbeloa right-footed left back. Team sheet fail
    im looking forward to this , could be a cracker if portugal score first

This needs to happen imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Can't see how a most of you are predicting a few goals in this game , all i see is a cagey/scrappy 1-0 win to Spain , bar the Ireland game Spain have only scored 1 goal in each game. I cant see Portugal scoring tbh as Spain are going to own the ball for the majority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭bren2001

Hoki wrote: »
    Can't see how a most of you are predicting a few goals in this game , all i see is a cagey/scrappy 1-0 win to Spain , bar the Ireland game Spain have only scored 1 goal in each game. I cant see Portugal scoring tbh as Spain are going to own the ball for the majority.

Spain France 2 - 0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

bren2001 wrote: »
    Spain France 2 - 0

Forgot about their late second in that game, im sticking to my story though!

Hoki wrote: »

The two decent attacking sides Spain have come up against so far cut them apart at times. Italy should have got more than one probably, while Croatia definitely should have scored. Can see Portugal getting one tbh

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    do it Portugal.

and as importantly, do it Ronaldo.

simply because the troll in me would love to see people try and use it as a reason to make the Messi/Ronaldo debate even more unbearable than it already is.

think about it.

it'd be a right laugh :p

Oh as soon as hes gone from modding he wants to see the trolls out for another round of Messi v Ronaldo.

For shame Slick. :( :pac:

I look forward to banning & infracting said trolls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Portugal to start well but fail to score after going close, Ronaldo to huff and puff his way around when Spain take control with Spain eventually winning 2-0 in the end. Iniesta and Torres with goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Portugal to start well but fail to score after going close, Ronaldo to huff and puff his way around when Spain take control with Spain eventually winning 2-0 in the end. Iniesta and Torres with goals.

you prob dont like ronaldo do you???

I have a feeling that somehow Portugal are going to win this game tonight and in normal time.

Call it metaphysics if you like or just a wild guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Hope so as I backed them earlier at 7/2. Thought they were good odds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I really hope, for the sake of football, that spain go out. They're tiki-taka possession football is the most boring style of football I can remember.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I really hope, for the sake of football, that spain go out. They're tiki-taka possession football is the most boring style of football I can remember.

i really struggle with this position on Spain's football.

the football can produce boring games, but the style of football in itself isn't boring.

the matches can be very boring because the opposition defends deep more often than not, because they're scared of opening up. they become too scared to commit people forward when they have the ball.

if the opposition opened up a bit, it'd produce some brilliant games of football. look at the Italy-Spain game earlier in the competition, a fantastic, tactically aware, game of football, with chances all over the place for both teams because Italy didn't fear Spain.

but teams don't do it, because they're scared shítless. that's not Spain's fault. it's not up to them to change.

there's a very subtle but important difference between a style of football being boring, and the games themselves being boring. Spain's style of football is intricate and brilliant IMO, but it can help in producing lousy games

the funny thing is, teams deploying negative tactics hasn't helped get them results really.

it's worth remembering that Spain got butchered 4-0 by Portugal, albeit in a friendly, playing some wonderful stuff. so it can be done if teams with good technical ability had a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

you prob dont like ronaldo do you???
    Nothing like that just something tells me they know how to wind him up

2411825_o.gif

Even with teams playing that way vs Spain I still find the games enjoyable even at the worst of times (eg vs France).

The football that bores me the most is that Brazilian league stuff. I'd never purposely watch it but a few times I'd be flicking thru the channels and it'd come on. I'd try watching it for a few minutes and I'd just get so bored of teams passing it around at the back that I have to turn it off.

At least Spain knock it around in your half and not their own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

i really struggle with this position on Spain's football.

the football can produce boring games, but the style of football in itself isn't boring.

the matches can be very boring because the opposition defends deep more often than not, because they're scared of opening up. they become too scared to commit people forward when they have the ball.

if the opposition opened up a bit, it'd produce some brilliant games of football. look at the Italy-Spain game earlier in the competition, a fantastic, tactically aware, game of football, with chances all over the place for both teams because Italy didn't fear Spain.

but teams don't do it, because they're scared shítless. that's not Spain's fault. it's not up to them to change.

there's a very subtle but important difference between a style of football being boring, and the games themselves being boring. Spain's style of football is intricate and brilliant IMO, but it can help in producing lousy games

the funny thing is, teams deploying negative tactics hasn't helped get them results really.

it's worth remembering that Spain got butchered 4-0 by Portugal, albeit in a friendly, playing some wonderful stuff. so it can be done if teams with good technical ability had a go.

I disagree. The style they play is technically good, and very effective at winning games. But it's like watching paint dry. A team has to defend deep, what spain play them because they pass around in the final third so much it gives the opposition no potion, they naturally get behind the ball.
    And spain don't even have a striker to give the ball to when they get there, so it leads to constant passing, but no one to give it to. The gameplan that the players have admitted themselves it to constantly pass in the hope that the opposition eventually makes a mistake. This is boring!
    I never thought I'd actually support a team with Ronaldo on it, but I'll be cheering him on tonight (and hope they lose the final)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'd like to ask somebody who may be in the know, is there a big rivalry with these two Iberian countries? I mean that in a footballing sense and also off the pitch?

I've never really read much on it but would've thought there'd be something there perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Think portugal definitely can win tonight. I know the talk is all about Ronaldo, but the real battle is in the middle of the park imo. Portugal have three good midfielder in Veloso, Moutinho and Meireles. They will work hard and battle for 90 mins. They can all play ball when needed too. If they all have good games, cause problems for Xavi and the boys, and get a decent bit of possesion themselves, then Portugal are right in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Omackeral wrote: »
    I'd like to ask somebody who may be in the know, is there a big rivalry with these two Iberian countries? I mean that in a footballing sense and also off the pitch?

I've never really read much on it but would've thought there'd be something there perhaps?

Was in Spain earlier in the year and asked the family I was staying with and from what I heard no it's not like the Ireland/England situation where people just hate England because they are England. But seeing as Spain are Portugal's only border, one would assume that there is a healthy enough rivalry between the two.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Honestly haven''t been hugely impressed with Portugal so far, can see Spain winning comfortably enough.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Honestly haven''t been hugely impressed with Portugal so far, can see Spain winning comfortably enough.

They have a decent midfield, if they can neutralise the Spanish midfield even a little bit I reckon they could do a job on Spain. Having said that I still think Spain will win 1-0. Hope I'm wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Omackeral wrote: »

I was in Portugal for Euro 2004 when they played Spain. The rivalry was evident but it seemed friendly enough, no hatred between the two or anything that I could tell. I suppose it would be a bit like the Liverpool - Everton derby in that regard.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I disagree. The style they play is technically good, and very effective at winning games. But it's like watching paint dry. A team has to defend deep, what spain play them because they pass around in the final third so much it gives the opposition no option, they naturally get behind the ball.

so essentially you're just saying Spain are so good that teams, by and large must deploy negative tactics to combat it. that's not Spain's fault. that's the fault of other countries for not being as good and having to play deep.

it's a valid, and worthwhile gameplan at times. Chelsea proved it against Barca, and I loved the fact Chelsea made it píssing off everyone.

but that, allied with Barca's keep-ball approach, made it boring, not Barca on their own.
    And spain don't even have a striker to give the ball to when they get there, so it leads to constant passing, but no one to give it to. The gameplan that the players have admitted themselves it to constantly pass in the hope that the opposition eventually makes a mistake. This is boring!

i agree the no striker thing is a tad ridiculous, and they've been rightly criticised for it IMO.

i still don't think the style of play in itself is boring. it takes 2 teams to make a match. Italy put it up to them and we got a great game. i don't think tonight will be great because i think Portugal will play very tight and rely on Ronaldo on the break. but that's Portugal's choice because their players aren't as good as Spain's.

the two styles clashing makes the game a spectacle or not. it's not the responsibility of one team to make a game entertaining.
    I never thought I'd actually support a team with Ronaldo on it, but I'll be cheering him on tonight (and hope they lose the final)

i'll be cheering Portugal too, but for different reasons. i.e. simply because i'd like to see an international final without Spain in it, and i would as i mentioned earlier, like Ronaldo to dominate the tournament, just for the reactions afterwards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

1-0 Spain, Menez to grab the winner from a right-sided cross from Jordi Alba

so essentially you're just saying Spain are so good that teams, by and large must deploy negative tactics to combat it. that's not Spain's fault. that's the fault of other countries for not being as good and having to play deep.

Exactly.

How anyone can call Spain's game boring is beyond me. Watching Xavi, Alonso and Ineista interchage passes in the middle of the pitch is something else.

Watching the Spanish players create space for themselves is fantastic too, there always seems to be a spare man free. Also, the work they do getting the ball back sometimes goes unmentioned. I'd say they work harder than almost every team off the ball.

It's the anti football tactics that teams that play v Spain that makes the games boring. Portugal will have a go I'd say which could make the game entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Exactly.

How anyone can call Spain's game boring is beyond me. Watching Xavi, Alonso and Ineista interchage passes in the middle of the pitch is something else.

Watching the Spanish players create space for themselves is fantastic too, there always seems to be a spare man free. Also, the work they do getting the ball back sometimes goes unmentioned sometimes, I'd say they work harder than almost every team off the ball.

It's the anti football tactics that teams that play v Spain that makes the games boring. Portugal will have a go I'd say which could make the game entertaining.

They mostly come out at night, mostly.

2-1 to Portugal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Come on Portugal!

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭aidan18

I'd say this could go to extra-time with 1-1 after 90 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Last time these 2 played in a major tournament it was a snorefest. Hopefully this one will live up to the hype, but I wouldn't be overly optimistic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

If Spain aren't playing a striker I feel it will blunt their attack as we've already seen it do. Someone playing in that central position up the pitch gives a focal point to build an attack around as well as the fact you can be more direct in attack and use the movement of the striker to draw defenders thus creating more space becuase they can't sit back as much which is all too easy.

I think Portugal with Almeida are in with a better chance than I was giving them before hand. Postiga is brutal and Portugal haven't been clinical enough in the last third for me. I think Nani has a tendency to drift in and out of games at times and he sometimes contributes very little possibly due the fact that Portugal as a counter attacking team tend to go through Ronaldo to create chances more often than not.

I'd expect Spain to win 2-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

3-1 to Spain, Ronaldo to get sent off. You heard it here first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Any ideas if Torres will start? If he does - can see Spain edging it. If not, it'll be a close one. Spain though for me, 2-1 in normal time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Spain 2-3 Portugal. Cristiano Ronaldo hattrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

1-1 to penalties with spain winning them.

:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think I'll just watch the highlight(s) of this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Not to cryptic Xbox

Portugal 3-2 Spain

Meireles 26,42
    Fabregas 53
    Iniesta 69
    Almedia 84.

• Advertisement
Advertisement