Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portugal vs Spain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Pre-match.
    Kirby wrote: »
    penalties with spain winning them.

:) Shoulda bet on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Joyce Country

Ronaldo bottled it.

Dunphy is spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I have to say usually there's a load of bs about Ronaldo bottling it, and it is usually total bs. Every player makes mistakes now and then.

But as captain and star player, he really bottled it in the penalty shootout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

5th penalty is statistically the most likely to be missed, so the player with most bottle should be taking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

shrewdness wrote: »
    What's he saying?

Ronaldo's ego wanted the last penalty to get all the glory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

murpho999 wrote: »
    Is it the coach's or Ronaldo's decision to go last?

Probably Ronaldos. Portugal had an entirely different coaching staff in 2006 and he took the winning 5th penalty against England then too. Probably something he asks for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

This could be the worst final ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Maybe Ronaldo was going last because he was the player most able to handle the pressure? Was looking forward to seeing him take one though, I'm sure he has practiced hundreds of penalties with Casillas at Real Madrid.

Hopefully the final is exciting and not another game of possession football between six playmakers.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

It'd be funny if he wasn't even the 5th peno taker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Ronaldo bottled it.

Dunphy is spot on.

I can't believe dunphy said that. I'm surprised with you eamo

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Fabregas just said he wanted to take the 5th penalty. Same thing. Got lucky too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

5th penalty is statistically the most likely to be missed, so the player with most bottle should be taking it.

The lad who took the 4th one was clearly sh1tting himself, he went up ahead of Nani when it wasn't his turn. Ronaldo either bottled it or wanted the glory, either way he should have been one of the first

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

closeline wrote: »
    Fabregas just said he wanted to take the 5th penalty. Same thing. Got lucky too.

He's not Spain's captain, star player and best penalty taker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I really don't think Ronaldo bottled it at all. Ronaldo loves the big moment and would have wanted the decisive penalty to possibly win it and grab the headlines. It's not like he's slow to want to take penos, free kicks or whatever. You could see afterwards how annoyed he is he didn't get to take one. He's took them before and just didn't get the chance this time. Talk of no bottle is absolute bs.

• Advertisement

RTE once again a joke. If Spain lost would they be saying why did their two centre halfs take a penalty before Fabregas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I don't think Ronaldo bottled it at all. He just wanted the glory!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's that, four hours without a goal? Screw international football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

murpho999 wrote: »
    What a stupid attitude....a final against different opponents will be completely different.

No stupid attitude here, if Torres is on the teamsheet maybe then but I'd sooner open a fresh tin of paint and watch it go off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

This talk is ridiculous, we wouldn't be having it if it wasn't ronaldo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

So a team with Xavi, Silva, Iniesta and fabregas isn't creative enough for you?

High standards. Guess thats why you mod the creative writing forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Wouldn't have fancied Ronaldo from the spot anyway. Has missed too many in high pressure situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

What statistics are you basing this on?

That might be a sound decision if you had quality players taking one ahead of you. Bruno ****ing Alves went 4th. The lad has struggled to string a few passes together the last few games. It was clear that a penalty under intense was going to be beyond him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Hopefully the final is exciting and not another game of possession football between six playmakers.

Well Italy showed already that they're well able to play vs Spain so I can't see why it will be any different in the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

How good has Ramos been all tournament and what a peno for a center half .

Player of the finals so far for me .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

adamski8 wrote: »
    This talk is ridiculous, we wouldn't be having it if it wasn't ronaldo.

He is one of the two best players in the world (depending on personal choice) and as such he should be held to a higher standard than everyone else out there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Obviously not if they can't score a goal between them. At least Greece winning was funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Leiva wrote: »

Player of the finals so
    far for me .

That fellas a headbanger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Seán O'Sullivan ‏@OSullivanMUFC
    Dear twats having a go at Ronaldo, the Portuguese coach said he'd decided the penalties order before the tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Well it literally came down to a matter of centimetres. Had Alves' been that bit lower; Fabregas' that bit wider...

Think Ronaldo should be taking the first pen every day of the week. Overall not sad to see Portugal out but don't like seeing Spain in the final! Fancy ze Germans against them if they progress tomorrow.

Overall a boring encounter tonight which only came alive upon pedro's introduction.

• Advertisement

No way did Ronaldo bottle it.

Not a hope of getting it though, will go to an attacking player. Defenders have to be absolutely out of this world to get awards like that.

My money's on Ozil.

He is one of the two best players in the world (depending on personal choice) and as such he should be held to a higher standard than everyone else out there.

If you recall the CL final, Drogba went last. Sometimes it works.

I can't imagine the most self-confident man in football not wanting to take a penalty.

All the same, he has missed too many penalties in high pressure situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_FIFA_World_Cup_knockout_stage#England_vs_Portugal

hth.

Or hope this stops all the nonsense being talked.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Seán O'Sullivan ‏@OSullivanMUFC

Dear twats having a go at Ronaldo, the Portuguese coach said he'd decided the penalties order before the tournament.

That doesn't matter though, this is Ronaldo sure. Everyone has to have a go at him now.

Was ok but is shaky defensively wouldn't be in my top ten players of the tournament.

Good peno though, considering his last one ended up in row z!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

For a team with such talent, they're incredibly boring. They only got going after 100 minutes of football. Last Spain game was woeful too.

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Was ok but is shaky defensively

Huh?!? He was arguably the best defender in Spain this year.

If Ronaldo had scored and Portugal lost he would still have been criticised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Great sign of a player who has missed in a previous shootouts and still has the balls to put the name forward for another one as Ramos did

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Joyce Country

Renn wrote: »

he still bottled it tonight

He's 100% in International shoot-outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Renn wrote: »

Portugal's number one penalty taker went first in that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

My personal preference is for the best takers to go first, but you can understand the tactics behind putting them at the bottom of the order. It worked for Chelsea leaving Drogba till last.

Ronaldo has the type of personality I despise but the way he is scrutinized is absurd.

Ronaldo being pilloried is ridiculous, the list was set in stone; given to there'd so you have to trust that the teammates will be leaving Ronaldo with a potential shot at winning/saving the game.

He missed in the CL vs Barca in the 08 semi, Chelsea in the 08 final, Bayern in the 12 semi.

I think there's no doubt he was 5th, but he wouldn't have filled me with confidence going up to take one.

• Advertisement

Huh?!? He was arguably the best defender in Spain this year.

Good footballer but poor defensively. Remember Theo Walcott ran rings around him earlier in year that's saying something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

If you recall the CL final, Drogba went last. Sometimes it works.

I can't imagine the most self-confident man in football not wanting to take a penalty.

Yes but Drogba isn't Chelsea's best penalty taker. Lampard is and he went 3rd.

Did he not miss v England in Euro 04? Maybe I'm wrong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Did he not miss v England in Euro 04? Maybe I'm wrong...
    Nope scored both times vs England IIRC.

Seriously, what's with the demanding the way their penalties should be taken? Maybe they have a different strategy of leaving their best penalty taker later? It didn't work tonight but other times it does. Teams don't have to line up with their best penalty takers from 1-5, they can take them in any order they want!

• Advertisement
Advertisement