Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Definitely not a tri log.

Options
  • 27-06-2012 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭

;)

So... both before and after the Connemara Half back in April my old womans knees were giving me gyp so I decided to cut right back on running to try to give them a break. Since then runs have been minimal ie 3 miles just once or twice a week, usually in the woods with absolute minimal effort, and lots of breaks as and when I felt like it. In other words, just ticking over.

In the meantime to try to maintain some level of fitness I started swimming (improver) lessons. I also got the bike out of the shed and have been cycling a couple of times a week too. Finally my knees feel normal again so I’m ready to up the effort again in terms of running. Given that I’ve enjoyed the swimming and cycling so much lately and can see real improvement (especially in swimming) I plan to maintain both.

I’ll summarise where I’m at with regard to all 3.
    Run: This week will see increased effort on those 3 mile runs in terms of pace and a longer run at the weekend. I’ll play it by ear after that according to how everything feels.

Bike: I try to cycle twice a week, distances from 6 miles to longest 22 miles. I’m really slow (story of my life:rolleyes:) and I have a Lapierre Shaper 100, a cruiser rather than road bike. That isn’t going to change anytime soon so I’ll just have to keep at it, push hard on the uphills and smile nicely at those who fly past me looking like they’re going downhill. It won’t do me any harm anyway.

Swim: I’ve really enjoyed this. I’ve gone from not being able to swim a length 10 weeks ago to swimming 1000m last weekend. As with everything I’m slow :rolleyes: and there were breaks but I’m delighted at the progress. Things I need to work on are kicking... I’m told it’s all upper body effort with me and I need to remind myself I have legs. Breaststroke kick... again sometimes I get it right but I falter so more practice needed. Now with lessons ended I’ll try to continue to swim twice a week although the kids will be with me for one of those so I’ll be trying to catch a few lengths here and there between general splashing around.

Races: Nothing planned. Family commitments make it hard to plan ahead and I don’t want to sign up for anything until I know my legs can handle increased running again so I’ll be very much playing it by ear. I can’t see myself signing up for anything involving bike or swim in the near future as I can’t see me getting close to any speed which would have me finish anywhere other than last!

So really, at the minute this is purely a training log to keep me motivated and honest over the summer rather than aiming towards any particular race or distance.
    :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Might as well log todays training.
    3 miles on the treadmill as an introduction to moving legs a little bit faster again without the pressure of hills. 3 miles at 9.25 pace which felt easier than I thought it would.

Straight out after the run and onto the bike for a short 6 miles. Since I’d just run I planned on taking it very easy and I did but strangely easy ended up being up being my usual pace of about 21kmph which is kind of normal pace for me but usually feels harder. Hills felt much easier than usual. Maybe the run beforehand had acted as a warmup or something.

Good to be back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Welcome back :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Good luck with the log, I look forward to seeing how you get on.

(and it sounds just like a tri log....)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

YAY!! Littlebug!! I always enjoy reading your log - so glad you're back! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

OMG.... you are doing a tri :eek: :D welcome back LB :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Welcome back and Well done Littlebug, your flying along there nicely even if you do feel its slow, slow is better than not at all and i bet you're not as slow as you think you are!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Best of luck with the log Littlebug. I have no idea at all about old women knee's, but I am becoming an expert in old man knees, and indeed like you moved to swims and bikes once the running was hurting too much. If I might suggest a couple of knee-specific remedy's...

1) Bike. Get clip-in shoes for the bike. If you are pushing down on open pedals, you are stressing your knee. With clip-ins, you pull up using your quads a lot more, thus saving the knee (as well as gaining a free 10% speed boost). Takes a while to get used to them, but well worth it!

2) Swims. Make sure (when doing front crawl) that you are kicking from the hips, rather than from the knee- ie. flex the whole leg, rather than flexing from the knee. This is both a better aid to your speed, and will save stress on your knee. (Personally I find swimming the best thing in the world for sore knees).

3) Running. Don't know if any of this will apply to you, but my knees can get very sore after running. I've tried a few things to alleviate this pain, and what seems to work is running barefoot on grass; or running with more of a midsole strike; or running in a shoe with less heel lift. Also glucosamine and chondroitin supplements may help. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

The title is a good way to head me off at the pass - good to see you back. Great swimming as well - nothing is more satisfying than getting good at something that you never thought you could do

swim with the kids.
    between various kiddy splashing about I managed 12 lengths by myself and tried to focus on quality over the obvious lack of quantity today. For front crawl I focused on kicking from the hips and also trying to get the breaststroke kick right. I tried BS kick with a float and I barely move :o so more work needed!
    Last game before we leave the pool is "bus". I'm sure there must be some benefit somehow to moving as far as I can underwater with a child on my back :confused: Particularly good fun is "Double Decker Bus" :D Both get dropped off the back of the bus when I run out of air.
    After the swim kids went in the playground while I ran 3 laps of the park around them. I have no idea of distance or time... it feels like maybe over half a mile per lap but I'd need to bring the garmin next time. There's a nice wee climb on each lap. This should be a good option through summer. Nice that the kids are big and trustworthy enough that I can do this now. We can still see each other for maybe half of each lap so I'm never far away.
    knees behaved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

And there is most definitley benefit being derived from "Single Decker" and "Double Decker Bus"!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Woohoo- welcome back! Good luck with the new log and your new swimming and cycling adventure:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

This looks like a tri log. My log however, is a running log. :)

This looks like a tri log. My log however, is a running log. :)

:D It's only a tri log if you have done (or plan to do) a tri. Yours is most definitely a tri log ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

littlebug wrote: »
    :D It's only a tri log if you have done (or plan to do) a tri. Yours is most definitely a tri log ;)

It. Is. Not. :mad::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Ha, ha best laugh today as I read your title and post above. Really, no plans ;)

Best of luck with the running, biking and swimming log that is not a tri log....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Welcome back indeed. Best of luck with the non-tri tri log ;)

crazy hectic weekend and had to prioritise other things so got 0 training done :(
    Monday.. just a slow 3 miles with the dog.

Tuesday... away from home (by myself:)). Hotel has a pool and gym.

40 lengths of 20 metre pool. First 10 were horrendous, couldn't get going at all, was trying to alternate strokes but was so awful I ended up even stopping mid length at one point :eek: took a few mins break and talked myself out of stopping altogether, deciding to just concentrate on front crawl. it all got easier then and the next 20 were relatively easy and relaxed. Not non-stop but just a couple of seconds on my feet at the end, catch my breath and off again. Gawd but I'm slow... those 30 lengths were done in about 27 mins (including my panic break after the first 10):o:o. How do I get faster :confused:

Decided to do another 10 lengths, mostly breaststroke. Easier at that stage but still not getting kick quite right. oh there was 10 minute break in there while I chatted to someone . wimmin eh? :pac: but 40 lengths in total.
    After the pool I passed by the gym and thought "why not", back to my room, changed and back for 3 miles on the treadmill (10 min miles) and then 10 very easy mins on bike. oh look I did swim, run and bike (sort of).
    Gyms are kinda stinky......

Hotel bar for food (by myself :)), hotel room all to myself... oh the peace and quiet . Tomorrow I'll have breakfast by myself. Did I mention I'm by myself ? :) By lunchtime I'll be missing the clan like mad and I'll home by teatime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

enjoy the peace & quite!! and well done on using the facilities!! Don't forget the Bar;)

Enjoy... you are gonna be busy for the next while ;)

Nules10 wrote: »
    you are gonna be busy for the next while ;)

understatement :eek: :D

• Advertisement

Wednesday - buried in a mountain of paper.

Thursday- managed to tunnel my way out of all the paperwork for half an hour and out for a lovely life affirming 3 miles with the hound :) just one of those runs...

Wednesday - buried in a mountain of paper.

Thursday- managed to tunnel my way out of all the paperwork for half an hour and out for a lovely life affirming 3 miles with the hound :) just one of those runs...

I hear ya :rolleyes:. managed to get out for a half hour myself this evening i had to or i would have went mad and started throwing things at the wall :)

Nules10 wrote: »
    I hear ya :rolleyes:. managed to get out for a half hour myself this evening i had to or i would have went mad and started throwing things at the wall :)

When I lose the plot I'll be sure to blame you :pac:

When I lose the plot I'll be sure to blame you :pac:

:o you and a few others i would say ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Oh god not you as well LB, that lark sounds crazy (or maybe that's just Nules ;)). Hope you're having fun!

shazkea wrote: »
    Oh god not you as well LB, that lark sounds crazy (or maybe that's just Nules ;)). Hope you're having fun!

Jesus how many lives has she ruined! :eek::pac:

3 miles this evening with my poor neglected dog. Can't see bike or swim happening this week (or next or the next..:pac:). Maybe a swim but with kids it'll be a short one. I won't have time for anything bar ticking over for the next few weeks. All for the greater good...

Jesus how many lives has she ruined! :eek::pac:

3 miles this evening with my poor neglected dog. Can't see bike or swim happening this week (or next or the next..:pac:). Maybe a swim but with kids it'll be a short one. I won't have time for anything bar ticking over for the next few weeks. All for the greater good...

:eek::eek:
    I am just about getting my ass out the door for a few runs myself

Managed to get myself and my poor neglected dog over to Knockma this evening. left knee still feeling it on the steeper uphills so walked then (or maybe it was just an excuse :o). lots of people out running.

my poor children have been somewhat neglected this past week too so i've promised them i'll take time out and we'll go swimming tomorrow. I haven't a hope in hell of getting out on the bike this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Roll on September!

• Advertisement

lovely lovely lovely swim :)
    ignored the clock and trying to make myself faster and found myself almost gliding along effortlessly. At the end of every second length I'd stop and cast an eye over to the kids. Most of the time that's as much as it was , a couple of times there was a few seconds of conversation/ fixing goggles or whatever. 20 lengths went by more easily than ever before.
    I moved out of the lane then and played with the kids for a wee while, then back in for another 10 lengths... again felt great.
    I really enjoyed the swim and I assume that's a sign of improvement. Aside from that I think that today I really needed the calming relaxing effect...:)

Advertisement