Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are you hoping to go to College?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 superchic

Dublin Business School, Griffith College (Any private)
    M&S* wrote: »
    No no, the pure education course is also changing alot too!

I have that down as my first preference as well. There seems to be some big changes doesn’t there?! They look good tho :)
    TheComeUp wrote: »
    ...whats the story with Ed + Physcology? I went on the website yday but the new changes weren't posted yet. Atm the power is gone in my house cuz of the storm so I'll have to check l8r on but anyone know? I actually have it #1 but I'm 90% sure I wont get the points for it...which doesn't bother me cuz I only have it down for the options is brings :L

All the information went up on the website a few hours ago. I’m thinking of switching to the BEd with Psychology before the deadline but it’s a tough decision frown.gif The summer schools are putting me off and I’m not sure but it doesn’t sound like their guaranteeing the qualification in psychology either so it could just be a lot of extra work with no extra options at the end of it! tongue.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

DIT
    I'm going to NUI Maynooth myself!:D MH101- Arts!
    I want to study Geography, Economics & Business.I can't wait until 1 July because everyone around me won't give up trying to tell me to put down some high point course like Pharmacy in TCD or RCSI or something really boring/ uninteresting along those lines because they lead to jobs with bigger money! My parents think money is more important than job satisfaction! I want a job that I love not lots of money (which isn't even guaranteed doing those high point courses anyway!).
    I've loved and been fascinated by Geography since I was very young and I am very interested in business and economics. Hopefully I'll get to teach them or if not, an Arts degree opens up so many doors! I'm really excited about the modules in my course too... geoscience, physical processes, western civilisation, people & places, management, organisational behaviour, marketing & sales, business landscape, principles of microeconomics, principles of macroeconomics.... :D
    Another benefit is that people with over 500 points get a €1000 scholarship! That'll make college that bit more affordable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Geo10 wrote: »
    I want to study Geography, Economics & Business.I can't wait until 1 July because everyone around me won't give up trying to tell me to put down some high point course like Pharmacy in TCD or RCSI or something really boring/ uninteresting along those lines because they lead to jobs with bigger money! My parents think money is more important than job satisfaction! I want a job that I love not lots of money (which isn't even guaranteed doing those high point courses anyway!).
    I've loved and been fascinated by Geography since I was very young and I am very interested in business and economics. Hopefully I'll get to teach them or if not, an Arts degree opens up so many doors! I'm really excited about the modules in my course too... geoscience, physical processes, western civilisation, people & places, management, organisational behaviour, marketing & sales, business landscape, principles of microeconomics, principles of macroeconomics.... :D
    Another benefit is that people with over 500 points get a €1000 scholarship! That'll make college that bit more affordable!

Please tell me thats a joke??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

UCD
    Local_Chap wrote: »

Arts degrees can open many doors. It all depends on which subjects you choose and what you yourself put into the degree. There are a lot of people who "just do arts" and slack off and do very little with the degree, but there are also people who do work and are rewarded for their efforts. Sure, our current president was a general arts graduate, not too shabby eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

DIT
    Geo10 wrote: »

Completely agree! For me, job satisfaction is the #1 most important thing in a job. Money is just a bonus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

DIT

Why would it be a joke? Loads of people have become very successful after completing Arts degrees. Her Honour Judge Mary Faherty started off in NUIG doing a B.A. She's now a Circuit Court Judge and was the former Chairperson of the Employment Appeals Tribunal.

Not too shabby for a 'joke' of an Arts Degree :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

DIT

My dad and 3 of my aunties all did arts degrees.
    My dad and one aunty are teachers, another aunty is in research and an another is working as a lecturer. I have a cousin who did an arts degree and is working in management in Largo Foods. Arts degrees lead to so many more jobs as well. In the future research something properly before you decide to make fun of it. Your mocking tone arises from ignorance more than anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

a college of further education

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

DCU
    Arts degrees can open many doors. It all depends on which subjects you choose and what you yourself put into the degree. There are a lot of people who "just do arts" and slack off and do very little with the degree, but there are also people who do work and are rewarded for their efforts. Sure, our current president was a general arts graduate, not too shabby eh?

Yeah I think arts gets a lot of ****. There are loads of arts degrees that teach you really valuable skills (maths, economics, languages) that are concrete and useful. The problem arises when people start taking courses which have no real applications beyond 'research skills'. I'm not against academia, but to be perfectly honest, I don't really see an philosphy student with film studies being hot property on the jobs market.

Advertisement