Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In receipt of cable TV

• 27-06-2012 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Previously moved into an apartment complex here in north Dublin. Previous occupier had UPC cable connection on wall for TV and Internet.

I seem to be receiving a number of channels when plugged into the UPC connection on the wall, channels such as BBC, Setanta Ireland, MTV, Discovery aswell as the normal RTE, Net 2. Just wondering is this a free cable service? ...because I have not signed up to UPC myself and do not have the TV box etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

It basically means that the connection is still active and they havent switched it off after the previous occupant left. What you are recieving is the old analogue service. Its not free per se, but in fairness if they are piping it into your house unencrypted then they cant very well complain if you take advantage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

djimi wrote: »
    It basically means that the connection is still active and they havent switched it off after the previous occupant left. What you are recieving is the old analogue service. Its not free per se, but in fairness if they are piping it into your house unencrypted then they cant very well complain if you take advantage!

Thanks djimi! Ive been in the apartment now for 6 weeks and it's still active! There is no way that this 'free service' is available to all apartments? I thought it might be free cable for all the apartments but not sure of complexes run this sort of arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kitsy13

Dont get too used to it..the technicians are sent out with a list of what apartments are meant to be connected in each complex and they just cut the ones that are not meant to be active. i got cut off even though i was fully paid up, techie cut the wrong cable !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Veloce wrote: »
    Thanks djimi! Ive been in the apartment now for 6 weeks and it's still active! There is no way that this 'free service' is available to all apartments? I thought it might be free cable for all the apartments but not sure of complexes run this sort of arrangements.

Its possible its some kind of free service in the building but I doubt it tbh. I think for the most part they dont bother disabling the connection, especially in apartments, as they know its very likely that the next occupant is going to have to buy their service anyway. As Kitsy says its possible that they may come along and cut you off, but from my experience its fairly unlikely that they will do that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Beware. If you are not paying for the service you have no right to complain if UPC cut you off which they are within their rights to do at any time and have been known to do (its more common now than it used to be in the days when they'd just start automatically billing "The New Customer"). If you want to continue availing of the service in the long term you should subscribe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement