Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replanting indoor palms and other plants (pictures)

Options
  • 27-06-2012 2:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

A few pics that I took this morning of some large 7 feet tall Kentia Palms being repotted.

The process involves,large black square pots and large tomato grow bag trays.

Also the use of capillary matting and capillary leaders,fresh compost,small 10mm stones and slow release plant feed granules.Oh and a pump action spray bottle too,for misting the leaves with tepid water.

Still have another 7 plants to repot.

Anyway.......hope the pics show the process nice and clearly.

Any questions then just ask.

Best Regards.:)

DSCF0125.jpg
    DSCF0838.jpg
    DSCF0841.jpg
    DSCF0842.jpg
    DSCF0840.jpg
    DSCF0844.jpg
    DSCF0845.jpg
    DSCF0848.jpg
    DSCF0854.jpg
    DSCF0855.jpg
    DSCF0856.jpg
    DSCF0858.jpg
    DSCF0860.jpg
    DSCF0862.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

I hope you 'teased out' the roots a bit. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I hope you 'teased out' the roots a bit. :)

Yes,we did.Some of the plants and some of their roots were potbound when we took the old pots off.

My missus knows what shes doing as shes being doing this sort of thing for a good many years now,and Im learning all the time too.;):)

For anyone wondering about the capillary matting in the tray and also the capillary leader in the pots too..........

This is to give the plants and roots water/moisture when they need it.
    The water comes up through the capillary matting and leader into the pot and soil.
    The plants feed/drink via this method,and its also avoids overwatering and underwatering too.

Regular misting of the leaves with "tepid" water also allows the plant to drink and be watered enough.

The 10mm stones in the pot base is for drainage too.

Regards.:)

We got a nice mix of beach stones yesterday,washed them off and then placed them around the Kentia Palms on the plant pots,to make a nice finish.:)

DSCF9978.jpg
    DSCF9989.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Very nice Paddy, the new pots look lovely, given me inspiration to do a similar job here too. My mum says my home is turning into an indoor jungle and my wife has long given up the battle :D Maybe smartening it all up will ease their pain a little!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Supercell wrote: »
    Very nice Paddy, the new pots look lovely, given me inspiration to do a similar job here too. My mum says my home is turning into an indoor jungle and my wife has long given up the battle :D Maybe smartening it all up will ease their pain a little!

Thanks.:)

The pots are black square fibrglass pots and were bought in DIY Superstore a few months ago in a 30% off sale.

Bought 8 of them.

Got the rest of the Kentia Palms done today.

DSCF9995.jpg
    DSCF9996.jpg
    DSCF0001.jpg
    DSCF9999.jpg
    DSCF0008.jpg
    DSCF0013.jpg

Just 2 more plants to do and thats its all done...for now.:)

DSCF0015.jpg

Oh and Tesco were selling 2kg tubs of Westland slow release plant food for 7 euro 49 cents a tub.

Allways handy to have.:)

DSCF9992.jpg
    DSCF9994.jpg

Advertisement